Some Rambling Thoughts from 18 months out X-post

heathermc44
on 2/12/12 11:23 am - Bremerton, WA
Last night my DH and I went to a catered auction.  We sat at a table of 8 where we did not know the other couples.  Dinner was served and we each got a plate with TONS of food.  There was a chicken breast with a sauce on the top, about 4 ounces of really tender beef, again with some type of gravy on top.  A pile of risoto and veggies.  Of course my small tummy made it look like I hadn't touched a thing, however, it was sooo good that I didn't want it to go to waste.  My DH discreetly asked the caterer if we could have a doggy bag.  She brought me a container and I told her how good the food was but that I just couldn't eat it all and didn't want it to go to waste.  No problems on that front, however, this older man at our table was SHOCKED that I was taking the rest of my food home.  He was almost incensed.  I've never had this happen before and I know I turned a bright red.  I tried to explain that I didn't want the food to go to waste and that this would be my lunch for the next day (it really will last me for about 4 meals).  He wasn't going to let it go but his wife gave him that "look."  

One thing I noticed is that everyone else at our table cleaned their plate!  It sickens me to think that BS (before surgery) I would have cleaned my plate too, but not anymore. I can't believe how much food I used to cram in.  I am so thankful for my smaller tummy and smaller body.  Life is definitely better!

sammy4464
on 2/12/12 11:37 am
 How helpful this was for me.
kahlana
on 2/12/12 11:45 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
One thing I noticed that as children in America we are taught to clean our plates. The problem is the older we get the bigger our plates get and we feel guilty if we don't clean our plates which makes our problems with obesity even bigger. My honey happens to be one of those people that can seconds and 2 hours later be hungry again and eat another full plate and not gain an ounce or have any issues with high cholesterol or blood pressure or any of the other diseases associated with obesity. It's so totally not fair. And personally, I would have leaned in really close to the guy and told him, "Some of us just seem to have a little more self control over our eating and manners than others" while looking him straight in the eyes. But then I get cranky about stuff like that these days lol. What's he gonna do? Punch my tiny lil self?

My Blog My Facebook

beckyinkc
on 2/12/12 12:07 pm
VSG on 07/25/12
What in the world?!  Why should he care at all that you didn't eat much of your food or that you were taking the rest home?  Some people are just so freaking nosy!
Freddy_Fender
on 2/12/12 1:05 pm - Elginburg, Canada
What a rude ***** what you do with your food is nobody's business.
People really shouldnt stick their nose where it doesnt belong. I wouldve had two words for that guy and they wouldnt be 'happy birthday'.
Show strangers kindess....cause they may become friends    
kahlana
on 2/12/12 7:04 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
On February 12, 2012 at 9:05 PM Pacific Time, Freddy_Fender wrote:
What a rude ***** what you do with your food is nobody's business.
People really shouldnt stick their nose where it doesnt belong. I wouldve had two words for that guy and they wouldnt be 'happy birthday'.
We really need a "like" or "heart" button for this forum! That was fabulous!

My Blog My Facebook

edelu
on 2/13/12 7:07 am - los angeles, CA
I'm sorry you felt uncomfortable but i am one of those people who think there are different rules of etiquette for functions than there are for restaurants.  At charity function,black tie,  weddings, etc, i would never and really have never see it happen and that was probably what he was responding to.  I suppose it would not occur to me that they were equipped to have take out containers unlike a restaurant.  I know at weddings people make sure to have containers for guest to eat cake.  Anyhow if I'd seen it i would not have said anything but i would have found it distasteful.
Foxbins
on 2/13/12 11:27 am
Why would you have found it distasteful to see someone take their food home?  The caterers were just going to throw it away if she didn't eat it or take it.  My view is, once it's placed in front of me, it's mine to do with as I like.
Most Active