Band to sleeve revision due to esophageal dilation & achalasia?

Jean M.
on 2/20/12 10:41 pm
Revision on 08/16/12
After 4-1/2 years of Lap-Band success, and not a single band-related problem in the past year, I have developed severe esophageal dilation and achalasia (literally out of the blue). My surgeon is convinced that my 4cc band is too tight, and that it will still be too tight now that it's unfilled to treat these problems. She says that the scar tissue from my band makes me a poor candidate for either types of surgery to correct achalasia and strongly recommends removing my band. I'm OK with that provided I can revise to another WLS procedure, preferably the sleeve. We have a fairly good chance of convincing my insurance company to pay for it because I'm a well-documented medical mess.

Has anyone else had a revision after esophageal dilation and achalasia? Were you able to have the revision done at the same time as your band was removed? How well (and quickly) did your dilation and achalasia resolve?

Thanks!
Jean

P.S. - I suspect that my bandwagon's unexpected detour will bring joy to the hearts of some OH members; if that's so, I politely request that you keep that to yourself.

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Zee Starrlite
on 2/20/12 11:55 pm, edited 2/21/12 1:30 am
No Joy here Jean.  I was absolutely devastated when I was losing my Band - it felt like my world was coming to an end so, I only want to embrace you.  Everything will be okay
(((BIG HUGS)))

The Sleeve is really great and you will have no problem transitioning AT ALL - it's amazing REALLY!  You will be able to eat everything - then again my stomach is a little bigger BUT I love it that way.

I personally had the esophageal dilation that did not resolve BUT quite a number of us former bandsters to sleevers have had achalasia too.

And hey, we only want to be here for one another.  If someone feels joy from your pain I say screw them.

I wish you the very best - you've tried having your band unfilled right?

xo,

Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Jean M.
on 2/21/12 3:08 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Thanks, Leila. I had all the fill taken out of my band yesterday and am praying that the unfill helps my esophagus calm down. So far the only difference I can tell is that my physical hunger is back with a vengeance. It was so, so nice not having to deal with that!

Is your esophagus still dilated even now? If it is, it must not be a problem for you now so I'm relieved to hear that, because I am not patient enough to wait months or years for my esophagus to shrink (and all those pounds to return) before having a revision.

Jean

author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Zee Starrlite
on 2/21/12 3:30 am

I have absolutely no problems swallowing or keeping food down or acid reflux - NOTHING!  I'm so normal I get afraid.  I have no hunger AT ALL - I've tested and I believe I would become pass out or something before I got hungry.  Hunger can return or for some never leave.  I too was one of those who didn't feel hunger with any pressure from my band.

Unfortunately, the damage to the esophagus heals but remains "stretched".  My surgeon explains it like it is sort of like when a woman has a baby???  I don't think he was talking about the vajay jay  !  but I don't know I've never had a baby. 

I wanted to tell you that I didn't know about but had a hiatal hernia fixed (most people seem to have them???) when I was sleeved. 

Hunger is such a burden.  Both unfilled and unbanded for 6 mos each I was weepy about being hungry.  Really I have somewhat of a hunger issue (pre-op) PLUS I love food, even now I love, love, love food and I love to eat even when not hungry YET it is half the battle won to have the hunger monkey off of my back.  Foodie for life here,  For the most part I eat  and I eat really  healthy .  It is still a struggle for me just like normal people who don't have WLS now the playing field is just even.

You can revise during the same time you get unbanded as long as you stomach tissue does not look to damaged.  Definitely you don't want to push and risk a leak.

Best

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

rabid24
on 2/21/12 12:30 am
Hi Jean,

I'm sorry to hear about your band issues! I know I didn't see mine coming. I don't think anyone would be happy to know that you are having issues though. It's the bad thing about the band, issues can happen to just about anyone no matter how hard we try.

I do have esophageal dilatation and (once approved for revision by insurance) my doctor plans to take the band out and sleeve me in one surgery.

Sorry I can't be of more help to you. I just wanted to let you know that most of us had our bands put in with the highest of hopes, and I don't think there are too many people that would be rooting for a fellow lapbander to have to go through the same things we have.

Good luck!

Jodi

Revised from band to sleeve on June 6th, 2012. Lost 48 pounds on my own in the 4 months prior to revision. 

rauccibe
on 2/21/12 12:55 am - CT
Jean,
I had to check to see if I was on the right message board when I saw your name.

I recently had my band removed and VSG and a hiatal hernia repair all in the same operation. I must say I am happier with the VSG. No more reflux, am able to swallow without everything feeling like it is stuck in my throat.

You should have no problem with the revision.

Betty
Jean M.
on 2/21/12 3:14 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Betty,

I know, I know, the sleeve forum is the last place you'd expect to see me post. Well, next to last...beside the DS forum...

Did you have the hiatal hernia pre-band, or was it something that developed afterward? My original surgeon was supposed to fix my hiatal hernia and forgot to do it (long story). I've been wondering if my hernia could have contributed to my problems. I'm glad you mentioned yours because that reminds me to ask my new surgeon about fixing mine along with everything else.

Jean

rauccibe
on 2/21/12 3:22 am - CT
I did not have the hernia pre-band. At least I never had any problens and 3 endoscopies never detected it.
I  went to a new surgeion after 1 1/2 yrs of GERD and esophogeal problems. The first thing he sadi was that I most likely had a hiatal hernia and the band was the possible cause. Too many fills/unfills over the years. He wasn't a big fan of a revision to VSG but I had done my researcha nd that is what was decided on. I had originally dropped 115 lbs with the band and then gained some back. Now 3 months after surgery I am at a 100 lb loss from my first surgery. I was not a s concerned about losing more weight mostly feeling better, I have not had any issues since the surgery so I am happy. Eating has been easy after years of band foods. I am still afraid to try breads and some of the other foods that got stuck even though I am told they would not cause a problem.

Betty
Jean M.
on 2/21/12 4:08 am
Revision on 08/16/12
1-1/2 years of GERD and esophageal problems?! Jeez, and here I was feeling sorry for myself after dealing with that stuff for only 2 months!

Michelle F.
on 2/21/12 1:45 am
No joy whatsoever Jean in what you're going through. You know I went through this very same thing after 3 years with my band. I had major esophageal damage and scar tissue and was able to have my band removed and be sleeved to a 32fr sleeve in the same procedure. I not only got back to goal after gaining weight being unfilled but got down to 30 pounds below goal and am wearing a size 2! This was the best thing I have done for myself, no regrets. PM me and we can talk more.

Michelle
Band to Sleeve Revision 3/1/11

Most Active