You CAN stretch your Sleeve!!!

(deactivated member)
on 2/23/12 10:10 pm - Canajoharie, NY
Just wanted to share a little info that my surgeon shared with me. I went for my 3 month check up and he told me that he just did a Scope on a new patient that her surgery was done by another surgeon 3 years ago. He told me that her stomach was the same size if not larger than a normal stomach after just 3 years and he was doing another sleeve on her. He state that she had stretched her stomach so much that she was able to eat 6 slices of Pizza.   

This scared me a little... I have always been told to "under eat" your sleeve and this is was I plan on continuing to do. I had 28 years to eat as much food as I wanted now for the rest of my life I choose to eat only until I am satisfied not until I am full.

I am just sharing this with you guys to let you know that It is INDEED possible to stretch your sleeve if you make a habit of over eating... and NO i'm not saying that if you over eat ONE TIME that it will happen. This is something that took a long time to happen and literally gorging in every meal "state by my doctor"

doggz109
on 2/23/12 10:15 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
The only way to get your sleeve that stretched out is by YEARS of gorging yourself.  How did she know she could eat six slices of pizza unless she was doing it?

You will not stretch it by eating a bit too much every once in awhile or by having the occaisonal carbonated drink.

That being said.....I completely agree with what you said.  Under eating your sleeve not only protects your sleeve but it helps to ensure success on your program.

Ya know....people have been claiming you can stretch out your sleeve back to its original size the entire time I've been on OH but I have yet to see a picture or anything of an upper GI to prove it.  It's always some anecdotal story from their surgeon or a friend.  I wonder if they just say this stuff for "scare compliance".  Hey....whatever works.
SleevedLife
on 2/23/12 11:10 pm, edited 2/23/12 11:14 pm
On February 24, 2012 at 6:15 AM Pacific Time, doggz109 wrote: The only way to get your sleeve that stretched out is by YEARS of gorging yourself.  How did she know she could eat six slices of pizza unless she was doing it?

You will not stretch it by eating a bit too much every once in awhile or by having the occaisonal carbonated drink.

That being said.....I completely agree with what you said.  Under eating your sleeve not only protects your sleeve but it helps to ensure success on your program.

Ya know....people have been claiming you can stretch out your sleeve back to its original size the entire time I've been on OH but I have yet to see a picture or anything of an upper GI to prove it.  It's always some anecdotal story from their surgeon or a friend.  I wonder if they just say this stuff for "scare compliance".  Hey....whatever works.

I totally agree.

It's amazing the hyperbole (or outright misinformation) that comes from some surgeon's offices.  Sometimes from the surgeon, sometimes from the staff... but always with the intent to scare patients into compliance.  I may be cynical, but I believe they don't do this for the patient's own good but rather because they are willing to do anything to have good numbers to report.  On one hand, yes, whatever works...  but on the other, it would be more ideal to put additional time and resources into educating patients and offering a strong support system rather than resorting to scare tactics to ensure compliance.

My favorite example of exaggerated truth from my own surgeon's office:  If I cheat even once on the pre-op diet, the surgeon will be able to tell just by looking at my liver while in surgery.  Classic scare tactic.    This was repeated by the nurses and dietitians during the pre-op classes.   They said a lot of things that were either laughable or cringe-worthy for anyone with a background in science.   My surgeon, however, never takes such scare tactics himself and he laughed when I repeated what the nurses had said in the pre-op class and promised to talk to them about it.  He's not down with hyperbole.  ;) 

Nutshell:

Lost 140 lbs with VSG. (Hooray!!)

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

regained 40 lbs.   (grrrr!)

In summary: Alive & Grateful.   

barbarina
on 2/24/12 3:57 am - CT
Greetings,

I'm new on OH and have been reading people's stories and getting information about the sleeve for months now and started this journey researching since last September/November as a recommendation of my PCP doctor now that I was eligible for WLS.  That being said, I am being sleeved on March 6th... yeah and currently on a two weeks pre-op low cal diet of 1,000 calories per day and can say that my doctor's office too said that if I didn't lose weight before surgery that they would send me home and I could not have the surgery.  I never thought that it was a scare tactics for once but to tell you the truth if it was, it did work.  I have been starving myself and panicking if I would get close to 800 calories in a day since starting, heck even joined the gym (which I really can't afford).  So in a sense if this is not true, then this is a crazy way to do things in the medical field and to think that you want the absolute trust from your surgeon and his staff.... it's not right if this is being done.  Thanks for the info.

HW: 307; SW: 286; CW: 236; GW: 160 (and any extras... I'll take it. LOL)

SleevedLife
on 2/24/12 7:50 am
There are indeed surgeons who have a policy that if patients don't lose x% in pre-op, they won't do the surgery.  This is neither hyperbole nor a scare tactic.  It is simply the policy of the practice.  Many disagree with this approach, but that's another discussion entirely.

Exaggeration and misinformation as a "motivator" is what I find annoying (and a tad paternalistic too!) We are adults that presumably passed a psych exam, resorting to scare tactics to keep us "in-line" is pretty condescending.

I love my surgeon as he treats me as an intelligent partner in this journey, and not as a child that needs to be frightened with tall tales in order to stay out of trouble.  (Some of his staff, unfortunately, aren't on the same page.)

Anyway, that's enough of my ranting! LOL!

Good luck with your upcoming surgery!  Welcome to OH too! 

Nutshell:

Lost 140 lbs with VSG. (Hooray!!)

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

regained 40 lbs.   (grrrr!)

In summary: Alive & Grateful.   

hwag5149
on 2/23/12 10:15 pm, edited 2/23/12 10:16 pm
Wow... that's the first time I've heard that. Isn't that only possible if a lot of the fundus is left?

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

FAITHin2011
on 2/23/12 10:22 pm - NC
Yep, I really find that story hard to believe.

frisco
on 2/23/12 10:33 pm

I totally can believe it. we had a girl here last year that got about a 16oz sleeve I think it was..... at 16oz new means it could stretch out by 4x or more.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

doggz109
on 2/23/12 10:52 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
I agree Frisco......a 16oz sleeve obviously was left with a ton of fundus available to stretch back out.

However, doesn't most of this come down to "user error"?  If you do what you are supposed to do....ie....not binge on a regular basis.....you won't give the sleeve the opportunity to stretch.

It's what you always say......undereat your sleeve....don't even give it a chance to stretch.
xxkrazytracy64
on 2/23/12 10:50 pm
hi shenna, wow ive heard that your sleeve tummy can stretch some, im over 3 yrs out from wls and till this day i can only eat alittle at a time cause if i do over eat i get sooooooo sick to my tummy, not worth it, i do know my surgeon makes his sleeves very small, i still cant eat meat of any kind, just doesnt sit well in my tummy, at times like outside grilling i wish i could but it doesnt bother me much, oh should add that even though i cant eat alot at one time, i could still shovel in lots of tiny meals during the day, which i gotta control, i luv my sleeve.....tracy.
e/diet/dietticker/dietticker.php" ticker/dietticker.php" e>>dge/dietticker/dietticker.php" >edge/dietticker/dietticker.php" >Weight Loss Ticker

Most Active