Do You Drink Carbonated Beverages?

Freddy_Fender
on 3/14/12 1:16 pm - Elginburg, Canada
I seem to recall them telling me no carbonation for the rest of my life, is this in fact true?
I really love drinking S.Pellegrino  mineral water, would a small glass occassionally hurt my stomache?
Show strangers kindess....cause they may become friends    
M. Nguyen
on 3/14/12 1:29 pm - TX
i actually had a sip of dr. pepper the other day. While the taste of it, i miss. The feeling sucked! I can tell if I drink small amounts at a time its okay...but then the sugar rush comes in and it just goes down hill from there.

I can tell you, I won't be sipping on any carbonation in a while.

Sadiqah
on 3/14/12 1:31 pm - Portland, TX
You do whats best for you... They (doctors) say the carbonation will stretch your sleeve
(deactivated member)
on 3/14/12 1:31 pm
I know early out carbonation is forbidden by most plans. My plan says no carbonation ever again. I do know sleeved people who drink carbonated beverages on occasion. I was never a big carbonated beverage drinker, so for me abstinence is no big deal. I don't miss it at all.
MyOwnSunshine
on 3/14/12 1:38 pm
I think that I could have carbonation, but I tried to drink champagne at New Years and it didn't agree with me.  That was enough to convince me that carbonation isn't necessary to add back to my life if I've gone this long without it.
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
Freddy_Fender
on 3/14/12 1:39 pm - Elginburg, Canada
I didnt know it would stretch your sleeve, well forget that, I'm not taking any chances.
I'm quite happy with the little bit of food my new belly holds, I think I'd like to keep it that way :)

Show strangers kindess....cause they may become friends    
Ashley S.
on 3/14/12 11:18 pm
VSG on 05/04/10 with
USAF Wife
on 3/15/12 4:49 am
On March 15, 2012 at 6:18 AM Pacific Time, Ashley S. wrote:
On March 14, 2012 at 8:39 PM Pacific Time, Freddy_Fender wrote:
I didnt know it would stretch your sleeve, well forget that, I'm not taking any chances.
I'm quite happy with the little bit of food my new belly holds, I think I'd like to keep it that way :)

I truly believe that the whole carbination stretches your sleeve is just a bunch of BS used as a scare tactic.  There's just no proof behind it.  I just don't buy it.  My sister had VSG almost 4 years ago and, unfortunately, drinks diet Pepsi around the clock and it has not affected her restriction.  Not saying I condone that behavior but just trying to make my point.  And I also think it's unrealistic to expect people to stay away from carbonated beverages, or anything else for that matter, for life.  I personally am a firm believer in everything in moderation.

Now I can totally understand forbidding it early out for like the first year or so.  I'm almost two years out, and I treat myself to a diet soda once a day and have been doing so for the past six months or so.  But I'll only do it as long as I still get all my water in.  I just like to have it because I just get so incredibly sick of water, and just find the Diet Dr. Pepper to be a nice little daily treat and I'm not drinking any of my calories.  But that's just how I feel about this subject.  Others obviously feel differently.  As long as it's not interfering with my water intake I think having some carbonated beverages is fine for me.  
This is my opinion as well. I want to draw a picture or post a picture and explain anatomy and how liquids leave the stomach vs. food etc etc.

It's not like soda or other carbonated beverages have some super power and it hangs out brewing, bubbling, stretching what little tissue we have left of our stomach back out to pre-op capacity. Liquids in, liquids out. Simple anatomy and "how the stomach pyloric valve" functions.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Kevin H.
on 3/14/12 1:51 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 This is one persons opinion I found:

"Why Carbonated Beverages are "TABOO" after bariatric Surgery"
By: Cynthia Buffington, Ph.D

Did you drink carbonated soft drinks prior to your Bariatric surgery? Do you still consume carbonated soft drinks? Were you advised by your surgeon or his/her nutritional staff NOT to drink carbonated drinks after surgery? Do you understand why drinking carbonated beverages, even if sugar-free, could jeopardize your weight loss success and, perhaps even your health?

A carbonated beverage is an effervescent drink that releases carbon dioxide under conditions of normal atmospheric pressure. Carbonated drinks include most soft drinks, champagne, beer, and seltzer water. If you consume a soft drink or other carbonated beverage while eating, the carbonation forces food through he stomach pouch, reducing the time food remains in the pouch. The less time food remains in your stomach pouch, the less satiety (feelings of fullness) you experience, enabling you to eat more with increased risk for weight gain.

The gas released from a carbonated beverage mat "stretch" your stomach pouch. Food forced through the pouch by the carbonation could also significantly enlarge the size of your stoma (the opening between the stomach pouch and intestines of patients who have had a gastric bypass or biliopancreatic diversion). An enlarged pouch or stoma would allow you to eat larger amounts of food at any one setting. In this way, consuming carbonated beverages, even if the drinks are diet or calorie free, may cause weight gain or interfere with maximal weight loss success.

Soft drinks may also cause weight gain by reducing the absorption of dietary calcium. Dietary calcium helps to stimulate fat breakdown and reduce its uptake into adipose tissue. Epidemiological and clinical studies have found a close association between obesity and low dietary calcium intake. Recent studies have found that maintaining sufficient amounts of dietary calcium helps to induce weight loss or prevent weight gain following diet.

The high caffeine in carbonated sodas is one way that drinking carbonated soft drinks may reduce the absorption of calcium into the body. Studies have found that caffeine increases urinary calcium content, meaning that high caffeine may interfere with the uptake of dietary calcium into the body. Keep in mind that one 12 oz. can of Mountain Dew has 50 mg of caffeine, and Pepsi and Coke (diet or those with sugar) contain 37 mg of caffeine each.

Colas, such as Pepsi and Coke (diet or with sugar), may also cause calcium deficiencies from the high amounts of phosphoric acid that they contain. Phosphate binds to calcium and the bound calcium cannot be absorbed into the body. Both animal and human studies have found that phosphoric acid is associated with altered calcium homeostasis and low calcium.

Drinking carbonated beverages may also reduce dietary calcium because these beverages replace milk and other nutrient-containing drinks or foods in the diet. Several studies report inverse (negative) relationships between carbonated beverage usage and the amount of milk (particularly children) consume.

Carbonated beverages, then, may reduce dietary calcium because of their high caffeine or phosphoric acid content or because drinking such beverages tends to reduce the consumption of calcium-containing foods and beverages. Such deficiencies in dietary calcium intake may be even more pronounced in Bariatric surgical patients.

Calcium deficiencies with Bariatric surgery have been reported following gastric restrictive and/or malabsorptive procedures. The reduced amounts of calcium with bariatric surgery may occur as a result of low nutrient intake, low levels of vitamin D, or, for patients who have had gastric bypass pr the biliopancreatic diversion (with or without the duodenal switch), from bypass of the portion of the gut where active absorption of calcium normally occurs. Drinking carbonated beverages may further increase the risk for dietary calcium deficiencies and, in this way, hinder maximal weight loss success.

For all the reasons described above, including calcium deficits, reduced satiety, enlargement of pouch or stoma, drinking carbonated beverages, even those that are sugar-free, could lead to weight gain. Carbonated beverages that contain sugar, however, pose a substantially greater threat to the Bariatric patient in terms of weight loss and weight loss maintenance with surgery.

Sugar-containing soft drinks have a relatively high glycemic index, meaning that blood sugar levels readily increase with their consumption. The rapid rise in blood sugar, in turn, increases the production of the hormone, insulin. , that acts to drive sugar into tissues where it is metabolized or processed for storage. High insulin levels, however, also contribute to fat accumulation, driving fat into the fat storage depots and inhibiting the breakdown of fat.

Soft drinks with sugar are also high in calories. An average 12 oz. soft drink contains 10 teaspoons of refined sugar (40g). The typical 12-oz. can of soda contains 150 calories (Coke = 140 calories; Pepsi = 150; Dr. Pepper = 160; orange soda = 180; 7-up = 140; etc.). Soft drinks are the fifth largest source of calories for adults, accounting for 5.6% of all calories that Americans consume. Among adolescents, soft drinks provide 8%- to 9% of calories. An extra 150 calories per day from a soft drink over the course of a year, is equivalent to nearly 16 pounds and that weight gain multiplied by a few years could equate to “morbid obesity".

In addition to the adverse effects that carbonated drinks have on weight loss or weight loss maintenance, carbonated beverages may also have adverse effects on health. Soda beverages and other carbonated drinks are acidic with a pH of 3.0 or less. Drinking these acidic beverages on an empty stomach in the absence of food, as Bariatric patients are required to do, can upset the fragile acid-alkaline balance of the gastric pouch and intestines and increase the risk for ulcers or even the risk for gastrointestinal adenomas (cancer).

Soft drink usage has also been found to be associated with various other health problems. These include an increased risk for diabetes, cardiovascular disease, kidney stones, bone fractures and reduced bone density, allergies, cancer, acid-peptic disease, dental carries, gingivitis, and more. Soft drinks may, in addition, increase the risk for oxidative stress. This condition is believed to contribute significantly to aging and to diseases associated with aging and obesity, i.e. diabetes, cancer, cardiovascular disease, liver disease, reduced immune function, hypertension, and more.

From the above discussion, do you now have a little better understanding of why your Bariatric surgeon or Bariatric nutritionist advised you NOT to consume carbonated sodas after surgery? Your Bariatric surgeon and his/her staff want to see you achieve the best results possible from your surgery – both in terms of weight loss and health status – and so do YOU. Consider the consequences of drinking such beverages now that you understand more clearly why such drinks are “Bariatric taboo".  

Nanns_Journey
on 3/14/12 2:33 pm
Thanks for this post!

1st Goal 350 

Goal2 299 Goal#3 271 Goal#4 250 Goal#5 225 Goal#6 199  Goal#7 149 

VSG/Dec 7,  2011   5'3"  Female,  HW 399,  SW 371    Target Goal 135 lbs/BMI 23.9
Dec M1-23  Jan M2-15  Feb M3-11  Mar M4-13  Apr M5-13  May M6-15  Jun M7-??  Jul M8-??
Aug M9-??  Sep M10-??  Oct M11-??  Nov M12-??  Dec M1-??  Jan M2-??  Feb M3-??

Most Active