Not able to eat much, loosing too quickly?

weighless
on 3/29/12 9:09 pm - OH
VSG on 01/11/12
I am 11 weeks out. I have had a difficult time getting in more than 350-500 calories per day.  As soon as I eat protein [can only do about 1 ounce] I get so full and feel sick.  It feels like food is just sitting in my sleeve and not moving for hours.  Even after I wait 1 hour before I drink anything, I am still so full I can hardly drink.  I have had a headache for almost 3 days.  I have been loosing weight too rapidly at about 1 pound every other day.  I am 11 weeks out and I have NEVER experienced a stall.  Yesterday I tried to change it up and eat a few bites of carbs [I dont get more than 29 grams per day], still no change.  I am now very worried that the weight loss will continue to be rapid and I will never get 700 calories in.  Also, how will I stop the weight loss from happening once I reach goal?  I've never had a 700 calorie day since surgery.  I have no pain, some dry heaves at times, no nausea.  Any takers?
Janie
  54 yr. female 5'7" / HW 283 / Consult W 253 / SW 240.5 / CW 167  
Month 1:  Lost 20 pounds
Month 2:  Lost 11 pounds
Month 3  Lost 18 pounds
jengo1971
on 3/29/12 9:29 pm
I know it seems "scary" now but believe me, one day down the road you will look back at this post and wish you had so much restriction!  There are very few people (not that it doesn't ever happen) who have trouble stopping their wt loss. 

Focus on getting in at least 60 grams of protein and plenty of fluids each day.  I honestly wouldn't worry about the calories .  I'm nearly 16 months post-op and have mostly focused on protein and carbs.  Have you tried Premier protein shakes?  They have 30 grams for 11oz.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Jennifer

hi there.  pleased to meet you.  ~jennifer                        
weighless
on 3/30/12 2:32 am - OH
VSG on 01/11/12
You are right Jennifer.  I am getting all my protein in for the most part, but I do have to drink most of it.  My go-to is Premier protein.  It's the best.
Janie
Month 3  Lost 18 pounds
(deactivated member)
on 3/29/12 9:43 pm - dubai, United Arab Emirates
 good restriction, do u know your bougie size??
weighless
on 3/30/12 2:32 am - OH
VSG on 01/11/12
I am size 34.
Janie
Month 3  Lost 18 pounds
Crabadams72
on 3/29/12 10:23 pm - Silver Spring, MD
Your loss totals seem normal. What does your doctor suggest? That is always the best place to start if you are having problems with getting food down.
I wish I never stalled! I don't think you really want to start stalling-it is such a pain. Believe it or not but your body will slow down the lower you go. Like the above poster said make sure you get protein in via shakes or plain Greek yogurt mixed w sugar free preserves, fruit,or sweetener.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

Pkrplyr777
on 3/29/12 10:25 pm - CT
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Keep up the protein.
Eventually you will eat more and more comfortably.
You're body will adapt to the lower calories.

You will look back on this as someone mentioned earlier and realize that early on your restriction is a lot tighter.

Good luck,\
donna
  HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
weighless
on 3/30/12 2:34 am - OH
VSG on 01/11/12
Thanks Donna, I feel better hearing this from you!
Janie
Month 3  Lost 18 pounds
(deactivated member)
on 3/29/12 11:00 pm
I understand how that could be a little scary and surely uncomfortable. 

If your ticker is up to date then you have lost faster than me, but not to a crazy degree, and I eat plenty.  I held steady around 800 calories for some time and now find myself creeping over that.  I've even gone over 1000 calories 3 times, not purposefully. 

I do think it will get better.  I've gone from 1 - 1 1/2 ounces of protein to 2 - 2 1/2 ounces.  I could only eat 3 oz. of greek yogurt and now I can eat the full 5.3 oz.  And I know there are some vets reading this thinking "just because you can doesn't mean you should".

Keep plugging, push for more protein. Maybe try your protein different ways to see what works for you.  My faves are ground beef, tender chicken breast, and sometimes tuna.  I do think it will ease up over time.  I would bring it up at your 3 month check in with your surgeon just to see if your experience is in line with his other patients, and to ask if he has any suggestions.
ladyday
on 3/29/12 11:06 pm
VSG on 02/15/12
 I am 6 weeks out and still have a problem with protein. At first it was the shakes. I was supposed to drink 3 a day and couldn't I could do one comfortably and sometimes two but the third one would usually have me in so much pain. The NUT switched me to isopure juice which was higher in protein and I could comfortably nurse one bottle all day and then try a shake at night. Once I moved into mushies, the problem reared it's ugly head again. So I drink a very high protein drink  for breakfast and lunch, if I get peckish, I might have fruit for a snack and then I have tuna or chicken salad or a piece of fish for dinner. Dinner is supposed to be 3g of protein and I can't get it all in even if I graze in front of the computer. It just starts to feel so uncomfortable that I can't do it. I agree with the above responses....Make sure you get your protein in and your water. I know that my stomach won't take much so my protein drink that is shared for breakfast and lunch contains 62g. That's close enough to my NUT suggestion of 70g for me if I find that I can't eat all 3g at dinner.

All we can do is take our time and learn from this experience...Good luck!!

Most Active