Newly Sleeved with Questions???

myally24
on 4/8/12 5:44 pm
VSG on 04/02/12

I am 7 days out and need advise. I am still experiencing weird symptoms and am not sure if this is the norm. First, my teeth are really sore and my tongue has a white film on it. I have been getting close to 64 ounces of water in, not as well on my protein, so I do not believe I am dehydrated. Everytime I sip, I get this sharp pain for a 5 sec period and it goes away. My back is sore & I stlll have to take the Vicotin at lease 2x a day. I see the Doc on Tuesday but was hoping for some insight please, I just want to feel normal again. I still have the drain, Does this make a difference on my pain or healing?

Bahamas1968
on 4/8/12 6:16 pm - MI
I'm sorry you are feeling so poorly. However, at 7 days out, all those symptoms sound pretty normal. However, you really need to consult your physicia. Everyone heals at a different rate. The one thing I learned from this surgery is patience. You will never feel the same normal. A new better normal is in your horizon. Just pray and let your body heal in its own tme, not yours.....Good luck and God Bless!

Brenda777
on 4/8/12 6:49 pm
VSG on 03/19/12
That is weird, bcos tomorrow I will be 3 weeks out, and I still have a white film on my tongue too.  I don't understand why.  I was dehydrated, but I think I have been drinking enough.  

HW: 318.6  Pre-surgery Weight: 268.6  CW: 149 Sleeve Date:  March 19, 2012
- 169.6  pounds!  Doctor established medical goal weight = 165. I lost 50 pounds before getting sleeved.  Current BMI = 27  Original starting BMI = `58.3  Tummy Tuck: 01-04-13

sweettooth58
on 4/8/12 7:07 pm - IL
My back is killing me too.. Not sure why..I did sleep in my bed last night and Icy Hot on my back and it did help a little (at least I think that is what helped)
I have this taste in my mouth that I feel like brushing my teeth all day long.
I am only 5 days out.
Good luck to you. I will be watching your post today to see if I can find out why my back is so sore.
CaseyB
on 4/8/12 10:35 pm
VSG on 03/27/12
 I had the same type of back pain, and in my calves and when i asked the Nurse Practioner about it she said it could have been my muscles could just have been a little crabby from laying on the hard operating table and sleeping in the hospital bed a few nights. Should go away, but still sucks! :)

USAF Wife
on 4/8/12 10:38 pm
The tongue thing could be thrush, but more than likely, it's the funky film most of us experience as our bodies are getting into ketosis (which is what we want for fat burning).

I had difficulties with cold fluids. I would get the same discomfort, shooting pain if I tried to sip cold liquids. So, I did room temperature for water/crystal light, and warm fluids such as teas were so much easier to tolerate. I didn't have the back pain that I can remember. I didn't have a drain initially so I can't comment on that experience either.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

jacreasy
on 4/8/12 11:25 pm
VSG on 04/23/12
 Is the white film normal in most VSG patients, do you have to get a antibiotic or does it go away on its own?  I have two week and Ill be Sleeved!!!

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

USAF Wife
on 4/8/12 11:32 pm
On April 9, 2012 at 6:25 AM Pacific Time, jacreasy wrote:
 Is the white film normal in most VSG patients, do you have to get a antibiotic or does it go away on its own?  I have two week and Ill be Sleeved!!!
It happens if you've been cutting carbs, and your body is getting into ketosis. I had it and nothing helps other than a tongue scraper. It gets better, but it's sometimes a side effect of ketosis. You might want to check with your doctor to ensure it's not more than just ketosis mouth.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Dallaswyatt
on 4/9/12 2:52 am - CA
i am a little over 2.5 weeks out and i too had the film on my tongue, i am a nurse , so i knew it was thru**** is a little tingly and will not go away with brushing your tongue, you need to call the dr and they will give you a medicine called nysatin that you swish and swallow. It lasted about a week for me....hope this helps
myally24
on 4/9/12 1:37 pm
VSG on 04/02/12
Thanks a lot for all your input, I needed re-assurance this is the typical effects to expect. You are all great.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 56 views