Does every sleever get reflux? Forever?

Ohiogirl
on 5/12/12 12:18 pm, edited 5/12/12 1:44 pm - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 went to my consult yesterday and as I posted earlier - he said I have to go off my ERT for 3 months - that was a shock for sure but then he also told me that most sleevers have reflux for at least 6 months and some for longer.  

What is your experience with reflux??

Paula

Forgot to add that I have a lot of trouble with PPI's - Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix - diarrhea, jitteryness, muscle aches (yes I know I'm weird) so I am really concerned that I may in for a lot of suffering.  I take Pepcid and Maalox now if I get reflux - sometimes they work and sometimes not.
Ashley O.
on 5/12/12 12:55 pm
I have never had reflux issues. I was on Zantac for 9 months after surgery because it protects the lining of your stomach as well... But I was just taken off of it, no problem. no reflux. before or after surgery.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle."
~

Check out my blog? (: www.ourfightnow.net
~

happyteacher
on 5/12/12 12:57 pm
 Nope.  In fact, the extreme opposite.  I had horrible reflux presurgery, but with the hernia repair not a drop of issue since surgery.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/12 1:29 pm
VSG on 06/04/12
I'm glad to hear this...  I have bad reflux and my endoscopy showed a lot of erosion.  I'm having my hiatal hernia fixed while getting sleeved so you give me hope that it might actually get better.
ND2BTHN
on 5/12/12 1:29 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 I went off my Nexium after 3 months. The reflux isn't too bad. It is more bothersome if I eat something spicy. Otherwise, it is very minimal. A couple tums does the trick if it becomes too much to handle. I notice it more when I go too long between meals too. I feel the acid sloshing around much more when it is empty. I guess it kinda mimics a hunger sensation, but I know that it is just the acid moving around. If it gets out of control and starts jumping into my throat, I either know it is time to eat, or I take a tums, and it settles down a bit.

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
comeundone
on 5/12/12 1:54 pm, edited 5/12/12 1:55 pm - OH
Well I have had reflux for years but I always took a  PPI and still do.The plus is the off prescription use of ppis is they help you not feel hungry 
Sorry just saw your update some people just take pepcid have you had an endoscopy done?
HW 289  SW 242

SuzanneR
on 5/12/12 1:56 pm - Randolph, NJ
 no reflux ever. on a ppi since day one.

Elaine2
on 5/12/12 1:57 pm - Atlanta, GA
Don't want to be negative but I do want you to have the truth out there-----Never had reflux as a pre op but did develop a significant case after surgery. I've been on Nexium for the past 2 years. Now the surgeon did say it could still go away. It's been manageable for me.

I must say that just within the past 2 weeks I have tried using OTC Prilosec with fairly positive results. Did this on my own just to see if things were improving. Perhaps so...I'm going to continue on the OTC but always have the Nexium with me just in case.

Not an ounce of regret on surgery!

Ohiogirl
on 5/12/12 2:21 pm - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 Thanks for your experience.   Has your surgeon said anything about the effects and results of longtime reflux - I mean like Barrett's esophagus or erosion?  I think I will have to ask about that - couldn't think of everything while I was there.  I guess I didn't realize how common the reflux issue is.
nicoleista
on 5/12/12 2:17 pm - MI
VSG on 03/05/12
Yes, I do have realy bad heart burn and reflux. i woke up the other from a nap chocking on it. I take some kind of prescription for it twice a day. If I skip a day I notice it the next. I had heart burn before surgery so I new this was a risk. I am hoping it will get better over time. I am worried though...it really sucks. At least the medication helps so I'm thankful for that. Do you think taking probiotics might help?

Most Active