Acid reflux

Elaine N.
on 6/21/12 9:01 am - Hiddenite, NC
VSG on 06/12/12
 Nine days out and reflux still a major problem. I had issues prior to surgery and doc prescribed two nexium twice a day but still bad burn. Called nurse and cutting out all choc protein. Anyone else have a hard time with this?

God will turn our weakness into strength.
Tracasa
on 6/21/12 9:19 am
Every Freakin Day since surgery some days not as bad as others! Never had it before. Ask Doc about changing meds.

SFChorus
on 6/21/12 9:25 am - CA
You might want to explore the option of a different PPI with your surgeon.  I'm on a twice daily dose of Protonix.

Sleeved 12/15/11, 5'1", HW 185, SW 164, CW102

fennges
on 6/21/12 9:35 am - MI
June 4 was my surgery, but I didn't feel acidy until the last week when I started full liquids. NUT suggested ff cream soups, Cream of Wheat. I might have too high of expectations for myself. I have been getting in 55-70 oz. of water and 50-70 grams of protein. She said that was exceptional for 2 1/2 weeks out. So I am going to back down a bit, not much but I want to make sure I feel what I need to so I won't force too much food.

Sue     SW 260 lbs. GW 155 lbs.  5 ft. 5 in. 60 years young 
Surg. Date 6/4/12  
CW 11/25/12  189 lbs.

Carmelita
on 6/21/12 10:06 am, edited 6/20/12 10:09 pm - Four Corners, NM

Absolutely have em switch your PPI

Behavioral changes DO INDEED HELP

i.e. not laying down,reclining 1-2 hours before eating or drinking anything STAY upright!!
No eating 3 hours before bed
Sleeping in a recliner...thee best position for GERD
Putting large pillows, blankets under YOUR SIDE of the mattress
Keeping head and shoulders elevated w/ pillows sleep on YOUR BACK!! or left side only if you must.

Apple Cider Vinegar OR Cayenne pepper in water are GREAT home remedies for GERD
Sounds terrible I know...but I swear ...they WORK!

This one website describes em.. On the cayenne I use my spices...3 sprinkles and mix with 6 oz warm not hot and I don't buy the capsules like these guys say.

http://voices.yahoo.com/best-acid-reflux-natural-treatments- 102223.html
(deactivated member)
on 6/22/12 6:47 am
 I found that lifting the head of my bed helps me with Acid reflux and here is a fairly good explanaition. I hope this helps.
http://refluxguard.com/howitworks.shtml

Suzanne B.
on 6/21/12 10:09 am - OR
On June 21, 2012 at 4:01 PM Pacific Time, Elaine N. wrote:
 Nine days out and reflux still a major problem. I had issues prior to surgery and doc prescribed two nexium twice a day but still bad burn. Called nurse and cutting out all choc protein. Anyone else have a hard time with this?
Hi,

Nexium, did NOT work for me at all.  I had sleeve surgery 3 1/2 years ago.  I learned quickly like you that Nexium was not working for me.  Buy some OTC Prilosec and see if that works for you.  It solved my problems with in 24 hours.  I took it morning and night and it has solved all my problems.  If Prilosec works for you, ask your PCP to prescribe the generic form of Prilosec for you.  Then your insurance pays for it and it cost a lot less $$$$.  What ever your copay for generic medications is what you cost will be.  I hope that helps you.  It is worth the try.

Hugs,
Suzanne
Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
LennyD
on 6/21/12 10:55 am - NJ
I take a Prevacid every day and that seems to do the trick.  If I skip a day, I'm on fire!

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/12 10:57 am
No Nexium fo rme! Nexium did nothing! I take a Prilosec morning and night. Has worked beautifully. At six plus months out, I'm going to start weaing off of it and see how I do.
KathyA999
on 6/21/12 11:18 am
Very common issue after sleeve surgery, and for those with Barrett's, sometimes the sleeve can be contraindicated. I was taking OTC Prilosec before surgery, but afterwards I had a hard time finding a PPI that worked well for me.  I cycled thru about four before landing on generic protonix, which I've been taking for about a year now.  The others would work for a few months, then the acid would come back.  So far so good with the protonix.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views