Splenda suddenly nasty??

Rouxful
on 7/2/12 7:57 am
So, like many of you, I've got a wicked sweet tooth. Fortunately, I have drowned that sweet tooth in huge bags of Splenda, which I add to everything from my low-carb lattes to Greek Yogurt. I've heard people complain about bad aftertastes with Splenda, but I rarely taste anything out of the ordinary with it. Well, that all changed yesterday morning when I put it in my coffee and suddenly--YUCK! It tasted like chemicals, like how saccharin tastes to me. Today it's not quite as bad, but it's still not as good as it's been for the past few years. Could this be a sudden shift in my body chemistry? Is this permanent? My boyfriend said the same thing happened to him and now he forever thinks Splenda tastes like ass. If I can't eat Splenda anymore, that's a major blow to my diet plan. Any thoughts? 

HW 403 / SW 372 / CW 204 / GW 199    

Shagdoll
on 7/2/12 8:08 am, edited 7/2/12 8:08 am
Weird. I have no thoughts other than I finally gave up sweet'n'low for splenda a month ago. I know, it took me long enough. I will be sh** out of luck if Splenda starts to taste like ass to me! Maybe I can start adding sugar free torani syrups to everything.
I hope your Splenda taste buds come back!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Rouxful
on 7/2/12 8:11 am
 Me too. I've gotten REALLY into making espresso lately, and making lattes with half-and-half and water (no lactose, yay!) for low-carb cappuccinos. I like my coffee sweet, so having Splenda suddenly taste gross is quite cruel.

Boppie2012
on 7/2/12 8:24 am - Dunedin, FL
I can't tolerate any sweetness since surgery.
Soon_to_be_skinny_S
tacie

on 7/2/12 8:32 am - MA
VSG on 04/17/12
Me too. Preop I was fine with all artificial sweeteners. A couple weeks after I couldn't stand ANY of them. It's made it harder to ha e variety on my liquids. Even the pudding cups I loved, I still only taste chemicals and they turn my stomach. I've taken to diluting "light" (not diet) juices and teas.

(deactivated member)
on 7/2/12 9:00 am
That really sucks! Hopefully, it's a temporary thing, but..... I would get some SF Tornai syrup in the house just in case. I live for it in my coffee and in my Fage 0% Greek yogurt. I do vanilla in the coffee and a couple different fruit flavors in the yogurt. The syrups are made with Splenda, but I have never noticed an after taste and I often do when I use "granulated" Splenda.
momsy55
on 7/2/12 9:43 am - ME
I've switched to Truvia at home.  It's a natural sweetener from stevia plants/leaves (not sure which) that health food stores sold for years before it came on the general market.  I've found it works well.

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Chubbychic77
on 7/2/12 10:40 am - NJ
VSG on 05/30/12 with
 Sorry to chime in kinda off topic, but I have to say "and now he forever thinks Splenda tastes like ass" totally struck a funny chord with me and I'm cracking up laughing my ass off. Thanks for the laugh! It was a bad day and I needed one.  And I must add that I'm glad today Splenda tasted a bit better to you and I hope that it continues to taste better. And may your taste buds never think that Splenda tastes like ass again!!! 

Rouxful
on 7/2/12 12:07 pm
 Chubbychic, I'm glad I was able to make your day a bit better :) I don't mince words on this forum. 

I actually think there's a chemical problem. I've drunk a LOT of coffee over the last four days experimenting with my espresso machine, and have been eating a lot of salad with a lot of vinagrette. At this point, I feel like a sponge at the bottom of a car battery and everything tastes weird. I just chugged some milk of magnesia after two Tums didn't do the trick. Now I FEEL like ass. 

Hope Y.
on 7/2/12 3:53 pm - Harrison, MI
VSG on 01/23/12
I don't know what I'll do if I get to the point where Splenda tastes like monkey's ass but all the other artificial sweeteners do to me.  Prior to surgery, I could somewhat (very little) tolerate aspartame, but since surgery....no way!  I've tried aspartame, saccharine, truvia, stevia, etc, etc and the only one that doesn't make me feel sick is Splenda.  I would love to try Whey Low, since it has less carbs, but am freaked about ordering a 2 pound bag before trying it.  I have a NASTY sweet tooth that has shrunk a lot since surgery but I do try to make some SF desserts with added protein in them; works great to curb my appetite, gets my protein in and makes me feel like I'm being naughty!  I make a killer chocolate cheesecake mousse with greek yogurt and chocolate protein powder - I don't know how I'll get through the night at work if Splenda starts to taste bad, since that's what makes my mousse so yummy!

Sleeved - 1/23/12       Starting weight - 331                  Current weight - 195  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views