Asked to speak at pre-op seninar

janielynne
on 7/12/12 11:00 am
My surgeon has asked me to speak again to his pre-op seminar.  It will be in Mid-Sept.   So I'm trying to get some things together.  Maybe my favorite websites, favorite books I have read that have helped me with my journey,etc.

What do you wish someone would have told you before surgery?
I like to stay after my testimonial , in case ppl have questions. That is really the fun part of doing it.  Everyone  always has really good questions and I really love telling them that my surgery is the best thing I ever did for myself.

When you are speaking to a group of people, its hard to remember everything that you want to say.

Any ideas you may give me will be helpful.

Thanks
Jane

RosieSweetie21
on 7/12/12 11:32 am
Hi Jane. I am a teacher so I think being prepared is very  important. I think it would be helpful if you had a paper with your main points listed, so your presentation is organized and you don't forget the main points you want to cover.(You could also use index cards but I prefer 1 piece of paper with bullet points that I can just glance at (don't read from it!). Relax and smile and you will be fine. Prior to surgery, I wanted to know if the sleeve would really work for me. I think if you are honest and approachable, people will be very appreciative.Good luck.- Rosie
RHCP
on 7/12/12 11:10 pm - Poughkeepsie, NY
I speak at my surgeons seminar-I find it absolutely rewarding!!! Better than support group. I have allready had one patient meet me at support group and tell me it was my story that inspired her to get the surgery done!

People LOVE to see before pictures and I also have a old pair of size 24 jeans I bring and hold up next to me. (I'm a size 6/8 now!) Most common question I get asked is what I can eat- or a typical day of meals for me.

I take a index card with key points and follow a general script each time. I also stress that the surgery is just a tool and not a fix and you really need ot work on your head- Dr can fix your stomach but not your brain!

Good luck! I hope you find it as rewarding as I do!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views