Sleeve Gastrectomy - Long term results (> 5 years)

Louisianawench
on 7/14/12 1:34 am, edited 7/14/12 1:36 am - New Orleans, LA
VSG on 03/21/12
I Had a VSG in March this year.I have lost over 100 lbs since the procedure. I eat very small amounts of food because I feel so full, so quick. I personally don't think I would be able to stretch out my sleeve. Once I'm full, thats it. My stomach will not accept anymore food.
I do try to stay away from most carbs and stick to a high protein diet, which has become a second nature to me. Proteins fill me up pretty fast and I have no complaints about it. Infact I LOVE IT!!!!
" Time,indeed is a sacred gift, and each day is a little life"
happyteacher
on 7/14/12 2:33 am
 I am not personally convinced that the RNY has a faster speed of weight loss compared to the sleeve.  I truly feel it is dependendent on the person.  We had a poster here recently lose 160 pounds in 4 months from the sleeve surgery- he was highly motivated, strict diet, lots of exercise... in short did what he was supposed to do.  Many lose a 100 pounds by 6 months.  RNY has the advantage of malabsorption for only a set period of time with calories.  In essence, you can lose the weight still eating more, but what happens when the calories start to count against you again?  You at that point still need to deal with poor eating habits.  

In my opinin there is just no way around changing your eating habits, but the sleeve makes that so much more easier to do.  It provides a window where you can reset your eating habits, then the weight loss reinforces that.  

If I were you though, I would find out how many procedures your surgeon has performed.  Ask questions on how it is completed... things like is it over sewn, size of the bougie, how much fundus is left intact, etc.  Also ask what the success rate has been for patients that are a year out or so.  What is the average percent of the EWL?  My sugeon has an average of 80% at 6 months, and 90%-100% by the 1 year mark.  I think Ciragnle's patients have even better stats, but they can verifiy that as I am not certian.  

Good luck with your research!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Maureen K.
on 7/14/12 2:44 am
 You may want to post this in the vsg Maintenance board as that is where you will find more vets I am not 5 years but I am 4 and I am still maintaining my loss still have restriction. Yes you have to make the decision to make this work but I could not do it without my sleeve . I have had no problems what do ever. Best wishes to you. 

SW - 223  CW- 130 GW- 140  Start Sz 18 Current Sz 4 Ht. 5'6"
 BA- LBL/TT 11/3/09

Cengelen
on 7/14/12 3:26 am - Sweden
Maureen K. How do I find the VSG Maintenance Board?

Thanks.
PrettyEyes_41
on 7/14/12 3:52 am - MS
VSG on 06/12/12
I think this is the maintenance board link:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Gale     Age: 55, Height: 5' 5.5", HW: 236, SW: 210, 1st GW: 150.  Surgery BMI: 39.3  Extremely HBP, High Cholesterol & borderline diabetic.      

SPOON
on 12/7/14 1:46 am
with

Maureen,

I am interested to know if you still have the acid reflux.  Will it be for the remainder of your life?  Did you have that prior to the surgery?  Have you had any malnutrition?

Pkrplyr777
on 7/14/12 3:39 am - CT
11.5 months out..
I freakin love my sleeve!

The freedom from the food addiction alone is worth it.
Now, i eat pretty much whatever I want....just very little of it to be satisfied and full.

Still losing weight bust should settle down soon.

cheers,
donna
  HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
hrford
on 7/14/12 4:15 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 I have 2 friends that had the RNY around the time I had the VSG.  One does the right things, exercises, eats right etc. we started at similar weights and we've lost almost identically.  The other relies on her RNY and eats whatever she wants.  At 5 months out she hasn't lost in over 4 weeks.  So both are tools and honestly I think we'll find in another 5 years that the VSG will become THE weight loss surgery because it doesn't seem to have the long term health implications.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

FloridaVSG
on 7/14/12 4:32 am - FL
VSG on 07/16/12
Look at Ryan's story here! Also look at Nick's video below (also try to find his before videos). You'll be amazed! Best of luck on your decision!

RYAN:
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4542362/Gooooaaaaallll-And-in-under-4-months-PICS/
NICK:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFLQnf0QPCw&sns=em
Pre-op/HW: 302- SW (7/16/2012): 296 lbs- GW: 160-150 lbs. Month 1: -32 lbs.- Month 2: -16 lbs.
www.theskinnygirlinsideofme.blogspot.com  

Carmelita
on 7/14/12 10:40 am - Four Corners, NM
 You've got lots of time to research Cen!!   So much information available on the net...here...keep looking for your answers to draw your own conclusions.  Up in the search bar above enter "VSG" and whatever your question is...always VSG first...will narrow down your search

On weight loss lower with the sleeve compared to RNY....NO not true. In fact I saw a recent ASMBS (american society for metabolic bariatric surgery) video interview...saying VSG is expected to REPLACE RNY as the GOLD STANDARD for bariatric surgery.  RNY has been done for some 60 years...VSG only done since 2000  (I believe Dr. Hess --a DS surgeon performed it) For VSG  to replace an old bariatric surgery...so soon out the starting gate...has got to say sumthin about it!

On weight regain with sleeve...oh you betcha..typically by 2 years out some rebound regain..definately "possible"  ....at.5 years out is the line in the sand. But again compared to RNY ...not true!!  I personally know 2 men were SMO had RNY...by 15 years out ...were BOTH  SMO  again!!  metabolic programming/adaptation. mcrocilia of lg intestine...REGROW to compensate, reach homeostasis for lack created by RNY...by 2 years out. The body has an outstanding desire to LIVE...no matter what we may do to 'try' n  outsmart it. 

An individual can outeat, underexercise any WLS...including DSrs.  Its NOT only about commitment, diligence, lifestyle changes and psychological support to assist our emotional-food attachment issues...frequently found "buzzwords" in the weight loss word. ITS ABILITY TO MAKE ADJUSTMENTS  to outstanding events in our lives that impact our weight...accidents, injury, illness, medications, stress, childbirth, hormonal metabolic altering events like menopause, thyroid i.e

I didn't have a crystal ball tellin me I would get injured..placed on combined topical,oral, IM steroids, and physical therapy for 8 months...and the impact of eating the same yet exercise taking a nosedive...that it would cause me to REgain 25 pounds. Absolutely my surgeon told me that at 5 pounds regain..ACT, make my adjustments....but I didn't ".feel like it " lmao...It took 8 months to put on 25.
When I got my head back in the game...I lost 20 in 4.5 months.  Now I teeter 3-10 pounds of that regain...have for gosh...almost a year. A work in progress...EVERYDAY!! Im workin it Cen...Im an old goat...my metabolism has indeed slowed as Ive aged. I certainly can eat even eat less with an altered stomach..if not for that little voice sayin EAT LOTS OF CARBS!! lmao!! I post frequently about my struggles here...this forum is my only WLS support, unfortunately for me..but it does help me! ....I could never be the poster girl of VSG...but I could never say that VSG has NOT saved my life in more ways than the physical either.

The Sleeve CANNOT BE STRETCHED!!!  a quote from this forums sponsor LapSF/Dr. Cirangle on my bougies in VSG blog....in the Stretching in VSG section I believe.  Don't MISTAKE a fully dilated matured sleeve (~1 year out) with being STRETCHED by sheer will...ain't true!! 

BOUGIES in VSG 

Of the thousands of VSGs done by Dr. Cirangle.. there are 5 "vets"  maybe on this forum ..2 of whom both women..have posted about their regain at ~3 yrs out. In regain w/ VSG ..best to look at those over 2 years out.  There is data out there..on regain. I have links but can't find em right ..a needle in a haystack, nor can I remember them.  RNYrs are quite capable of stretching their stomach "pouch" as the fundus (the stretchy, expandable portion of stomach's greater curvature), removed in VSG, is retained in RNY to form it. 

On long term complications ...10-40 years out...maybe take a look at this post I wrote recently.
gotta scroll down some.  Altho Im unable to edit my posts at this time...I needed to add in the OSTEO problems related to VSG...that smoking with an altered stomach is a cause of calcium leeching from bones..therefore a contributor to Osteo problems post VSG.

LONG TERM COMPLICATIONS affecting VSG 

On old-time VSGrs 5+ and out...used to link em...I don't no more. I leave em alone.  But here's an old post of mine...with links of VSGrs 5+ years out and their stories.  Most pop up here ...like Rana n Abbey, Amy...we all send em to the maintenance forum...usually they don't stay there either. Some have been able to keep ALL the weight off...a few have have regained substanitally.  

5+ out VSGr post

On learning to undereat sleeve capacity...take a look at Hara Hachi Bu -  japanese taught to undereat their stomachs capacity since childhood Some techniques that can be mastered by all..normal stomachs or altered stomachs 

UNDEREATING SLEEVE CAPACITY

HOPE THIS HELPS ya some Cen ,-)
Most Active