Sleeve Gastrectomy - Long term results (> 5 years)

Lee ~
on 7/14/12 10:44 am - CA
 Welcome to the group. You are asking excellent questions.

I am 29 months out from my surgery and can eat a lot more than two years ago.

I can tell you from my experience that not every sleeve is created equal.  The size of the sleeve can be different, but more important is the technique used by each surgeon.  Some are 32f bougie, some bigger. I personally have a 40f.  Some are oversewn to make them smaller, mine was not.   While my particular surgeon performed hundreds of RNY, the sleeve was relatively new.  

I Love my surgeon.  That said, I would really recommend finding out as much as possible about the actual operation that you will receive.

Not all sleeves are created equal, and definitely, not all post op food plans are the same.  Read as much as you can here.  See who has lost the weight that you hope to shed.  Find out what their post op plan looks like.  Compare it with the plans your local clinics recommend. They vary from low carb to recommending fruit juice post op.  Make careful choices based on the success that you hope for.

Good luck and do stop by the Maintenance group.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

inextremis
on 3/12/13 2:25 pm

Preparing for my sleeve on march 25th and for sure I am looking into long term result. Two recent studies seem to indicate that: 

A- Bigger bougie size (above 40 up tp 60) does not reduce weight loss at 3 years but it reduces leaks and GERD http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23023201

b- Long term side effects reported after 5 years include GERD and regain http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20622654

In light of this I am wondering what the best middle ground might be. I am discussing this with my doctor but would like to hear more about real people with actual life experience. Has anyone here had a large bougie 40 and up ?

(deactivated member)
on 3/18/13 3:45 am

Hi,

After a short experience with BPDDS, I''ve started performing sleeve gastrectomies in 2001 . At least at 5 years less than 10% of patients will need a reoperation in my series and the options are an additional DS mainly in super obese patients, or a conversion to a bypass in case of major GERD, or a resleeve for weight regain with enlargement of the gastric pouch some are adding a band on a sleeve. Gastric pouch enlargement is really rare if the stomach calibration has been tight at the time of the surgery. 

The major problem is weight regain after gastric bypass;  its rate is as high as 30% at 10 years in morbidly obese patients and even higher in patients with a BMI>50. So think twice and take the option of a strategic approach: first a SG. So far SG is the best surgical option that not compromise a further surgery.

Most Active