Has anyone ever had their sleeve made smaller?

Grandma Blue Eyes
on 8/10/12 6:59 pm - Brick, NJ
I was wondering if it is possible to have your sleeve made smaller. 

novascotiadawn
on 8/10/12 7:00 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada

No, when used properly it works just fine. (Mine that is!)

Hugs

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

cece58
on 8/10/12 7:52 pm - CA
 I think they can do a plication to make it smaller.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

Grandma Blue Eyes
on 8/10/12 7:59 pm - Brick, NJ
 What is that?

cece58
on 8/10/12 8:18 pm - CA
 I think it is sort of like sewing gathers in fabric. They make folds in the stomach. It is really complicated.  Dr. Cirangle described it once but I didn't really pay that much attention. I think you can look it up on his website (Lapsf.com) or call their office.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

Grandma Blue Eyes
on 8/10/12 8:22 pm - Brick, NJ
 Thank you.

cece58
on 8/10/12 8:28 pm - CA
 So I just looked it up on Dr. Cirangle's website. If you go to www.Lapsf.com and look under "revisional proceedures" he describes the process.
Lisa

USAF Wife
on 8/10/12 8:04 pm
It's a very complicated and not advised surgery.

It is possible, and do not do a plication. It's just pleating the stomach tissue over itself, Major issues with that surgery.

The only reason someone would need it is if their surgeon did not excise the fundus properly the first time. It'd need to be due to an improperly cut sleeve that has allowed more stretch. If the surgery was performed correctly, then making it smaller isn't going to stop poor food choices/behaviors.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Grandma Blue Eyes
on 8/10/12 8:14 pm - Brick, NJ
 Do you know any one who that happened to? What makes it do dangerous? Can it be done laproscopically?

USAF Wife
on 8/10/12 8:23 pm
On August 11, 2012 at 3:14 AM Pacific Time, Grandma Blue Eyes wrote:
 Do you know any one who that happened to? What makes it do dangerous? Can it be done laproscopically?
Nope. It's usually advised against. The scar tissue makes it dangerous. The existing staples make it dangerous. Most patients end up going forward with the DS if they do not achieve goal. If the surgery was performed properly to begin with, there isn't a lot of tissue at the top or bottom of the stomach so trying to "restaple" through a staple line is not safe nor even suggested.

There was one woman who went to Dr. Pompa, she is notorious for making ginormous sleeves, anyways, she made this lady's sleeve "hourglass" shaped. The lady then went to Dr. Aceves for him to "fix" the mess and the only option was converting her to RNY because fixing the sleeve was not an option.

The first step is to get an upper GI done to really see what shape your stomach is in. If it's not a "size/volume" issue, other things can contribute to sleeve variations such as transit time changes, food choices, and/or other anatomical issues that need to be diagnosed properly.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Most Active