I was wrong, I should have listened, don't make the same mistake.

AnnieinIA
on 9/1/12 5:04 pm
Strange as it may seem - this is one of my favorite topics. I say strange because although I preach it, I don't always do it (exercise, that is).

However, I believe it is the fountain of youth. It help "some" with weight loss and a lot with maintenance. But, the real value of exercise is that it keeps us functioning in the way nature intended. I read recently that researchers are on the verge of very significant discoveries about what causes aging and human decline. A lot is connected to the telomeres on the ends of out chromosomes but it's way too early to report findings. Two things they know for sure are - get omega 3s in your diet and EXERCISE 30 minutes every day. You may do anything that makes you sweat.

So, just do it. Do it.
jule R.
on 9/1/12 5:17 pm
VSG on 01/31/12 with
I still totally hate exercise. all that garbage about feeling great and endorphines is a lie i feel run down and irritated. BUT I do see an improvement in my body every week and i know its from the weight training and the exercise im doing so i (with an additude) drag my ass to the gym 3-4 times per week. :)

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/12 5:21 pm
Hey, whatever gets you there.  I have to admit, I do feel the endorphins kicking in, and I also feel more uhm... frisky, when I exercise, so there are benefits I had not counted on.  :)
stephintexas
on 9/1/12 6:42 pm
I cleaned today, all sweaty and moving fast, it counted a bit towards exercise. I have to find creative ways to get in my movement.

Happy966
on 9/1/12 7:15 pm, edited 9/1/12 12:16 am

OK, once things calm down on the home front (major redecorating and remodeling), I think I'm goings to hire a trainer, too. A girl cannot live on Pilates alone, even if it is 3 times a week.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/12 7:23 pm
Choose carefully, make sure they are really well trained, and then it is really money well spent.  I really never thought I would be saying this, but it's really a game changer in many ways.  My doctor always told me that although the exercise is an important but relatively less important part of the weight loss, it is a huge part of maintenance.  He kept repeating this, to my face, over and over until he was sure I got it.  The man is many things, but he is never subtle.  :)  He kept after me for three years making sure I understood that exercise was not really negotiable in the maintenance phase and that if I chose to not listen to him, it was not because he had too light a touch for me to hear and understand how important he thought this was for the long term.  I finally surrendered.  :)

sleevegirl
on 9/1/12 7:56 pm - Austin, TX
I had emergency neck fusion surgery, as you probably heard, back in early April. I was kicking butt at the gym stuff before that, but after a week in the hospital and 3-4 months of recovery (seriously, I had NO idea how horrible recovery would be.

I was finally starting to find a groove, went back to yoga once per week, was going back to the trainer... now I find out she's closing her business. Ugh. Trying to decide if I want to hire someone else or just go it alone, I pretty much know the drill.

Anyway, today, I went back to the gym, 30 minutes on the elliptical. I figure I have to work my way back up and work through the stiffness from the fusion still. It sucks.

My point is that you have to find your groove and stick with it unless something truly happens beyond your control. Getting back into it has been HARD. The past month I've been fine to do it, but it's much easier to find those excuses again. For whatever reason, I still lost (a lot in fact, probably muscle tone as well LOL).

But yeah... stick with it! xoxo

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/12 11:34 pm
Ah, you've finally made it to the dark side! Welcome.....I knew it was just a matter of time.......

On a serious note: I am very happy to "hear" you say these things about exercise. You know what a devotee I've become and I echo all that you have said. My strength is ten fold what it was a year ago and my stamina is incredible to me. I could barely walk around the block a year ago and now I can "jog" over five miles! I feel great, feel strong, and I do enjoy the "frisky" benefits, as well!
stephanieplum
on 9/2/12 12:33 pm
VSG on 06/27/12
I'm working on it...I'm walking for now.  I want to love exercise as much a you and Kairik do!!!!  I do like weight training and will start back with her twice a week in the next couple of weeks!  I know it can only help me!!!

Most Active