For those of you who have tried to get off your ppi...

SleevedLife
on 9/28/12 11:42 pm
 My doc gave me the go ahead to stop my ppi and see how I feel.  I've been off it for five days now and I feel just fine.  No heartburn or acid reflux at all.  I've heard acid reflux can actually get worse when trying to get off a ppi.  When would such a backlash kick in?  I just wonder at what point I can know that I'm doing ok without the ppi.

Ive been on the ppi for about 9 months. I'd love to hear the experiences of others who got - or attempted to get - off their ppi.  Thanks in advance!

Nutshell:

Lost 140 lbs with VSG. (Hooray!!)

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

regained 40 lbs.   (grrrr!)

In summary: Alive & Grateful.   

desertmom
on 9/29/12 12:11 am - Dubai, XX
VSG on 03/13/12
Hi,I've started reducing from 20mg Nexium BD to just 20mg in the evening so half the dosage and so far so good.

Please keep us updated as I am little scared to stop and hearing that its successful for other give me courage to also go off it altogether.

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/12 12:20 am
From 3-5 days is the rebound acid. After that, you should be in the clear. Glad it was easy for you!
sleevegirl
on 9/29/12 12:42 am - Austin, TX
I think it was 6 months when I asked my doc and he was like "yeah, you can stop and if it works, great"... I haven't needed it since.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

beckyinkc
on 9/29/12 1:18 am
VSG on 07/25/12
Due to a snafu with refills (and people not knowing how to use a freaking fax machine properly), I ran out of mine for a couple of days.  It was clear within a day that being without it was a horrible mistake for me.  If you've been off for five days or so, I'd say you're in the clear and, if you do have a little bit of an issue down the road, just use something OTC as needed.  

PrettyEyes_41
on 9/29/12 1:33 am - MS
VSG on 06/12/12
I had been taking Nexium for 8-9 years and the last few years I took it twice a day. My doctor found a hiatal hernia before my vsg and fixed it during my surgery. I took Nexium after surgery for about 2 months and then ran out and thought I'd see if I could go without it before calling my doc for a refill. I did fine and have only had some mild indigestion a couple of days since then. I carry a roll of Tums in my purse and have only taken 3-4 in the past 6 weeks and those helped immediately. Nothing I can't live with.

Gale     Age: 55, Height: 5' 5.5", HW: 236, SW: 210, 1st GW: 150.  Surgery BMI: 39.3  Extremely HBP, High Cholesterol & borderline diabetic.      

2breakfree
on 9/29/12 6:10 am - NC
This is a great post. I have been on nexium for 10+ years after Vsg Ihave cut way back like taking 20mg every 2-3 days. I quess I could just go without and see what happens.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change and the courage to change the things I can. Above all the wisdom to know the difference    
Most Active