Grazer advice

maggienoella
on 12/17/12 2:24 am
Here is my problem...
I have started again & am really working at this.
I'm a grazer & can't figure out what to do. I've tried to have just the 3 meals a day but I get too hungry. When I get too hungry I overeat at the next meal. However, if I have a snack it tends to lead to grazing.
I know I need to get more water in also.
So what should I do? Should I just have water to replace what I would eat for a snack?
I'm 3.5 yrs out & have regained to 280.
I still have pretty good restriction but get hungry after 4 hrs or so.
It sucks when you know you're not stupid but can't figure out the simplest of things like food. I won't give up though.
Thank you,
Joan
MuttLover
on 12/17/12 2:39 am
VSG on 11/14/12

Maybe plan 5 small meals stretched throughout the day? I can't get my protein in 3 meals anyway, so I've noticed that I tend to do better by just planning ahead and having the food needed to reach my protein goals.   That is consistent with my NUT's plan -- I just look at it as 5 small meals (instead of 3 meals, and needing snacks). 

Also, I think it depends on how long your day is!  I am at work by 6:30 am and don't go to bed until 10-11.  However, if I am eating dense protein that is NOT in a soup or eaten with anything else that gets chewed to a liquidy state, I am satisfied longer.  But I do get hungry around hour 3-4 after a meal.

Also, what are you eating at your meals?  The advice I see offered here the most is to basically start  back with your plan as written, not at the liquids, etc. -- but at the solids stage.  Track your food to help make sure you are staying within the guidelines.

Good luck!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

maggienoella
on 12/17/12 3:41 am
Thank you. I'm going to have basics for meals, snacks & lots of water. & track my food.
acbbrown
on 12/17/12 3:01 am - Granada Hills, CA

When Im working, I plan on "grazing" - bring lots of smaller meals/snacks. The key is to graze on dense protein that will actually fill you up. 

Ive been snacking on a couple ounces of plain rotisserie chicken - just put 3 oz in little snack size ziplock bags. Or egg white muffins. Hard boiled eggs. Little meat balls. Things like that. Most of my snacks/meals are ~100-150 cal so I can eat 5-6 times a day and stay around my calorie goal.

Now, when Im home...that's a whole other story but life is always better when I can plan, plan, plan ahead. That's really the key for me. Plan, measure, weigh, and track. 

I also keep SF jello around for when I just need to have a snack. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

maggienoella
on 12/17/12 3:43 am
Thanks so much. More dense foods, better choices, more water & a scale. I can eat three string cheese sticks before I feel it. Maybe that's not a good choice for me.
Keith L.
on 12/17/12 3:12 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

First of all hungry or bored? Second hungry or thirsty? Third hungry or stomach acid? If you still have pretty good restriction. I would suggest go back to basics. Also eating 3 meals a day is not enough, increase to 5 or 6. Don't be afraid to eat snacks just make them good and healthy snacks. Also how did you gain to 280? Clearly you are eating things you should not be eating. Just because you can eat less Twinkies doesn't man you should eat Twinkies. Take a look at your diet and cut out the things that are high in carbs and stop eating Bad carbs. If you must have carbs eat some whole wheat spaghetti instead. Start logging everything you eat. I will bet that you will be surprised at what you are eating that you shouldn't be.

Also maybe some self examination would be a good thing. What is it that is making you eat so often? and Why are you so comfortable with putting the weight back on after you went through the pain and expense to have most of your stomach removed?

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

maggienoella
on 12/17/12 3:33 am
Keith,
I could be the poster child for what not to do, that's for sure.
I've never met anyone with as many food issues. I have been through therapy, read books, on & on.
I got so comfortable being able to eat a little of everything I wanted because I couldn't eat that much & little by little started eating more & making poorer & poorer choices.
I mistakenly thought this tool was magic. I will do all you suggest although the snacks still scare me.
Thank you for your help.
INgirl
on 12/17/12 3:45 am

I am a planned grazer, it works for me. The three meals a day never did.. too little room to get in the cals I need to maintain. I eat 5-7x a day or sometimes more, but I measure & log everything. I also realized after much reading and such, and understanding me & my body- all grains & most carbs just have no place in my daily normal diet. I have no "off plan" foods in the house.. step one. Do I have them? Once in a while, as a treat, outside my home.. in fixed amounts and they never come home.. Especially true for sugar of any kind.

I eat meat, veggies/greens/squash, cheese, and plenty of real & healthy fat and keep myself very satisfied on this food.. if I go away/off plan and start indulging too much in breads, crisps, starchy things, not only do I get hungry- but I never get satisfied on them.. so I could eat them all day long. 

I have done this dance and lost all the weight before only to regain most of it from not learning, and not paying attention to what my body was telling me the first time.. this time I am listening. 

I usually get physically hungry every 3-4 hrs, so I eat every 3 or so.. I am up at 5am, and in bed by 10-11 most nights..

Most Active