Am I really old enough and big enough for this

Marcus C.
on 4/3/13 8:32 am
Am I really old enough and big enough for this ?

I asked this question before and it looked like I upset some people. But I am asking again because

Right now I'm at a seminar. My third one. The lady at the door that ask for your insurance info literally told me I don't look big enough for this. The made me weigh myself (248lbs) and take my height 5'7". And then were shocked and told me I carry it well. This is the 2nd time I've gotten looks and stuff as again I'm the smallest and youngest person here

Has anyone had similar experiences? I'm just curious if this is something I should really consider or just live out my days as a "by chart" fat guy? This sucks.
Lisa1023
on 4/3/13 8:41 am
VSG on 03/05/13

you really ask the most far out questions.  This question is for your doctor.  Look up your BMI and see where you fall.  See what your doctor recommends.  If you're over 17, then you're old enough. 

acbbrown
on 4/3/13 8:43 am - Granada Hills, CA

How old are you?  I dont think age is primary determining factor but I definitely think you need to be old enough to have "been around the block" diet wise mostly so you have spent time identifying what your issues are, what your weaknesses are. If you havent given a real shot at losing weight (which almost all of us have) then I'd say give it a try. WLS really should be a last resort and I was really hesitant to even do it at 28. I could have done it years before but I wasnt mature enough, mentally/physically/emotionally or financially ready for this life style.

Dont worry about what anyone says about your size. If you are miserable, then you are big enough. If youre willing to commit to a healthy life style, there's no reason not to take control now before you develop a bunch of co-morbs.

People will look at you if youre the smallest, hell, they looked at me because I was the biggest. Just worry about YOU. Screw the rest.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Julie L.
on 4/3/13 8:49 am - Montreal, Canada
VSG on 11/08/12

You asked this exact same question a few months back,  do you have that many doubts that you're doing the wrong thing?   Maybe you're not ready for this?

Lisa2630
on 4/3/13 10:05 am

Marcus,

The only advise I have is to follow your heart.  If you aren't ready to commit, try something else you can always come back to this decision.  When I found that I was accepted for surgery, I took a few weeks, prayed on it, meditated on it and ultimately determined that I should follow my gut ( no pun intended ..ha ha) and move forward.   Best of luck.  You know what your heart is saying - listen

Marley M.
on 4/3/13 10:40 am - Brooklyn, NY
VSG on 07/19/12 with

You again? With the same questions? IMO it appears to me that you are not yet ready for surgery.  It's your body and your choice.  Take your time and then decide.  There is no rush.  You'll know if and when YOU are ready.  GL!

HW 316 SW 310 GW 170-175                    

Marcus C.
on 4/3/13 10:44 am
Lol don't start with me. I am asking the questions most don't because I would feel more comfy knowng
Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 4/3/13 9:19 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
No no no...everyone asks very similar questions...once...maybe twice....and you can never "know" based on what others think. It only gives you ideas to come to your own conclusions.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

shajoh
on 4/3/13 11:50 am - Cleburne, TX
VSG on 11/27/12

Everyone told me I was too small. Listen to yourself. It took me 5 years to convince my husband & dr. I'm glad I did this. If this is something you truly want. & feel is best. Then go for it. Only you can make that decision. I had several comorbidities & had seen my dad suffer. My comorbidities started at a much younger age than his & it scared me. I did this to get healthy. I still have people condemn me for doing it without being bigger. I don't care what they say. Some of those people are almost 100 lbs. heavier than I was & suffering from numerous health issues. I didn't want to be them in 5-10 years. Do what you think is best. I know I did. & I don't regret a day of it!  Good Luck!

Sharla

Marcus C.
on 4/3/13 11:53 am

Thank you!!!! I love  your response I guess what scares me is the surgeon said these have only been performed for 7 years. Kind of shocked me. 

Most Active