Legitimate question. Should I stop strength training?

Jackie P.
on 9/6/13 9:03 pm, edited 9/6/13 9:07 pm - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13
Ok, I'm 6 months out. I just hit 100 pounds. This week I started a Facebook 90 day challenge. Lunges, planks, push-ups, etc. it's not hardcore or anything but it's a 90 day challenge. I haven't done body weight exercises or any weights for a few years.<br />
<br />
We'll my scale is gaining. No more 100. ;(<br />
<br />
I know muscle weighs more than fat, and all that stuff, but the scale is so important to me and it kills me to see it in the wrong direction.<br />
<br />
Should I wait to start these exercises to after I'm done losing weight? <br />
<br />
I also recently started a walking program and the first 2 weeks my scale also gained, now it's back to losing. Maybe this is a trend my body goes thru, and the scale will start moving next week.

Im at 250 lbs. i want to lose at least another 60-90 pounds. <br />
<br />
Anyway, I would like some knowledgeable advice.<br />
<br />
Thanks!

Surgery Date: April 10, 2013 • VSG

www.fatfornow.com

jubjub
on 9/6/13 9:30 pm - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

Hi !

I have posted a few times on this topic, and I think it's a very important one.

The scale is only ONE dimension.  I use it, and weigh myself daily, but I worry less about the number.  The BEST number to use, in my opinion, is your Body Fat percent.

Here's the thing.  Your real goal is to lose FAT, not weight.  Of course those of us that start obese have plenty of fat to lose.  But it is critical to preserve muscle during the journey.  Resistance exercise does that, as does ingestion of the right amount of protein.

You may see a temporary stall... but the loss will pick up again - adding muscle is pretty slow - and in fact you may just be retaining water to repair muscle damage (weight lifting, it is thought, causes micro damage to the muscles which stimulates growth).

So, in my most humble opinion, you should do what it takes to get an accurate body fat measurement (your gym or trainer can often do this with calipers... or you can do find a place that will do a BodPod or DEXA scan - the latter being the gold standard - I just posted 2 days ago on my experience).  Substitute Body Fat goals for scale, and I promise you'll be happier.  ANd your goal will be more rational.  Other numbers you can use are clothing sizes, and body part measurements to show that you are in fact changing your body composition.  After entering maintenance I stayed the same weight for 6 months, but went from an L shirt to an M and from a 32 to a 30 waist... all at the same exact weight on the scale.

AFter 6 months in maintenance I started gaining a little... I was worried... Had my BF% calculated and it turned out I'd lost 2 lbs of fat and added a little over that in muscle.  Who cares about the scale number when you have that to look at! :)

Good luck! Don't let the scale play with you - use it as a tool, but add some other goals in and your journey will make more sense.

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

Debra M.
on 9/6/13 9:33 pm - TX
VSG on 03/26/13
Strength training is very beneficial. Not only does it build muscle it strengthens your bones. As you get stronger your confidence will improve. I highly recommend it. Did you know that muscle growth burns fat? You don't get to eat extra just because you strength train, but your protein intake is important. Muscles need protein to grow. You are going to be so hot. If you have no physical limitations, go for it. You will get sore for the first couple of weeks and after that you will start looking forward to the good kind of sore. I am very happy you are going down this road. You go Jackie!!

jubjub
on 9/6/13 9:36 pm - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

Sandy M.
on 9/6/13 9:44 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Have you taken your measurements?  You might find that you're losing inches the fitter you get, in fact I'm positive you will!  I haven't lost a single pound in almost 6 weeks, but I've lost an inch and a half off my waist.  JubJub is right - the scale is only one dimension. You're doing the right things with the fitness - it WILL pay off in pounds, inches, and overall better health!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

jubjub
on 9/6/13 9:50 pm - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

Oh, and by the way CONGRATULATIONS on your loss - you've obviously been doing the right things so far.  Keep doing them and the results will continue!  Amping up the exercise along the way is a great strategy, and will set you up for long-term success.  

LtWeight
on 9/6/13 11:10 pm - MO
VSG on 07/29/13

Thanks for the info jubjub, my scale hasn't moved much but I can tell a huge difference in my clothing so that confirms what I've been thinking. 

Congratulations A. Kondrlik, you are doing a great job!

califsleevin
on 9/7/13 6:08 am - CA

The other factor that we are looking for with strength training is maintaining (if not actually building,) our lean body or muscle mass, which is most closely associated with our metabolic rate. The fat that we are losing only requires energy to drag around, so that burns a declining number of calories as we progress, while lean or muscle mass requires a continual energy burn to maintain (burn calories while you sleep!) It's difficult to actually build muscle mass while we are running the deep caloric deficit that we do while losing, but we should strive to maintain as much of it as we can, and that takes some positive work effort since we tend to lose muscle mass since we don't need as much to carry around those excess pounds that we used to have.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

(deactivated member)
on 9/7/13 7:36 am

i fully get where you are coming from on this.  I too have a serious love affair with my scale.  However, I would tell you that the muscle loss that you will go through in weight loss is not beneficial to your health or your overall appearance.  When you first start to exercise, your body retains water and you are likely to gain or at least not lose weight.  This does not mean that you are not burning fat, you are just not seeing it on the scale.  If you use the measuring tape along with the scale, you will see your inches going down and your clothes should start to fit looser.  In the end, the scale is a wonderful tool, but your brain should be your best tool.  :)  It sounds like you are really doing well and I congratulate you on your success.  Keep exercising, and you will see the weight loss eventually.  ( I didn't take my own advice, and lost without exercise.  I had to work very hard to rebuild the muscle that I lost.  If I had it to do over again, I would have listened to my doctor and exercised all the way through the weight loss phase).

Most Active