Post-Op Diet

jenamir21
on 10/13/13 1:54 pm
VSG on 10/14/13

I have been asking so many question to prepare for surgery, but not about after surgery. If any of you can share some of the liquids you were able to have after surgery? How long were you on a liquid diet? Also what semi-solids or soft solids were you able to have? Just need some ideas so that I can send my partner to the store to pick up a few extra things for me. Thanks for the feedback! #mystomachstillturningflips

28 YO 5'11 HW:315 GW:185 SW:293

themexcellentone
on 10/13/13 2:12 pm, edited 10/13/13 2:12 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

How long does your doctor's plan have you on liquids post-op?  Everyone's plan is different.  My doctor had us on liquids for 3 weeks post-op, followed by 3 weeks of soft solids, then we were cleared to eat "regular" foods.

During my 3 weeks of full liquids, here is what I did:

1 week clear liquids:  if it wasn't translucent, I didn't drink it.  So I drank Isopure Zero Carb RTDs (160 calories, 40 g protein each), water, hibiscus tea (it is decaf and unsweet), soup broths like chicken broth, wonton soup broth, and ate sugar free popsicles.  Then I had 2 weeks of liquids left after that, and during that time I drank 2% milk with sugar free Carnation instant breakfast, protein drinks like Syntrax Matrix powders in water (with milk they were too thick for me) and Unjury Chocolate Splendor, tortilla soup broth, and bean soup broth.  I should add that I sipped constantly all day long because it took a while to get up to the minimum 64 ounces of fluid daily.

During my 3 weeks of soft solids, I ate scrambled eggs with a little cheese, thinly sliced deli turkey, applesauce, ground turkey or chicken, and protein drinks.  I kept things pretty simple at this time because I knew my sleeve was still healing.  Since my 6 week check up, I have eaten pretty much anything as long as protein is first and I have done pretty well so far.  I'm pleased with my progress. 

One more thing:  don't stock up on too much of anything because your tastes will and do change post-op.  Before I had surgery, I had bought a ton of Powerade Zeros to drink in case I tired of plain water (I hate Crystal Light).  Now I can't stand the taste of Powerade Zero! :(  And they are my go-to electrolyte drink when I get stomach bugs or need something after a workout!

I wish you luck and a successful surgery...you will do great!

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

(deactivated member)
on 10/13/13 2:52 pm

I am 5 days post op and even tha****er made me really sick the first day I could have it, I was on clear liquids until today and then my surgeon added cottage cheese (which I tried today and felt like a lump in my throat so I am waiting a while to try that again) Cream soups- had 2 tbs of that today and that went down the best, light yogurt, and protein drinks. Then in 2 weeks I can try eggs and deli meat and more soft things then start incorporating more one at a time, but I have noticed that everyone's surgeon has different plans

Most Active