VSG and vodka

Marcus C.
on 10/16/13 9:22 am
How soon could you drink after surgery? How much could you drink?

Lol not to sound alcoholic but I work for a company that constantly forces us on business retreats and everyone has a drink. With vodka in it. I would hate to be the odd man out and not have at least 1 drink with everyone again.

I know there are sacrifices with VSG. Is not having alcohol again one of them.
Carol-CA
on 10/16/13 9:30 am - San Diego, CA
VSG on 08/15/13

No judging here.   I have similar issues.  I stuck with cranberry and tonic for the first two months and no one was the wiser.   :) 

5'10" PreOp-272, SW-261     Losses: PreOp-11, M1-20, M2-9.5, M3-4.5, M4-6

cappy11448
on 10/16/13 9:33 am

Alcohol isn't recommended until your stomach has time to heal.   I used to drink wine regularly before surgery, and I was concerned that it would be hard to give it up.  But I found that I don't really miss it.   I had a little wine about 4 months out for my anniversary.  I only had a 1/2 a glass, and it was plenty.   It wasn't any big deal.  i don't miss the alcohol, and I'd prefer to avoid it as it adds calories.  I'd rather lose weight than drink, at least for now.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

SweetJanee
on 10/16/13 9:47 am
VSG on 03/26/13

I asked my surgeon and he said when I was 6 weeks out I could have a glass of wine (small)

Let me tell you how its working for me, its NOT! yep to added calories and then if your me when i get all a happy buzz going I put things in my mouth!!! oh no. Plan ahead, this will help if you must drink.

oh sorry this isn't my therapy is it lol

for real if you choose 2 mos. out and you should be fine. Everyone is different i would suggest having a drink in your safe spot first :) oh and smirnoff makes an awesome low cal pomegranite flavored sorbet vodka yum

p.s. if I could go back I wouldn't drin****il at least 6 months out (the better to take advantage of the "honeymoon" phase of our weight loss ).

Marcus C.
on 10/16/13 9:59 am
Ok lol. Yes I can do 6 months or so. But I work for a French company. And every meeting there's a bottle of Ciroc or Smirnoff. Or something strong like that. I always only take 1 or 2 glasses with orange juice or something. I just wanna check if that's ok. Has anyone had issues with this causing a problem with a small little tube of a stomach lol
(deactivated member)
on 10/16/13 10:07 am

I would have more issues with the OJ myself.  :)  The carb load would make me nauseous.  

(deactivated member)
on 10/16/13 10:06 am

There are many really good reasons no to drink during first the healing phase and than the weight loss phase of your journey.

Here are a few of them.

1) When your stomach is still healing, the first six weeks to three months, it's contraindicated by about every surgeon I know.  

2) When in active weight loss and not yet maintenance, it is possible to have a glass of wine but consider the following reasons to wait.

a: empty calories that you do not need during the weight loss stage when you are trying to maximize your weight loss.

b. might effect you differently and make you tipsy faster (the alcohol is not really absorbed in your stomach, so I am not               sure why this is true, but others say it is their experience.  My experience is that I get "happy" much faster, but I think that            has more to do with my weight now than VSG)

c. Many people, and I really mean many experience transfer addiction to alcohol.  How comfortable are you that this will not      be you.

d. During massive weight loss, your liver is put under quite a strain and you will be adding more strain to it with alcohol.  

3) In maintenance, I do drink a few glasses of wine a week and an occasional ****tail ( no sugary mixes) or two.  :)  I have not found this to be an issue for me.  You should probably also ask your doctor. 

Ms Shell
on 10/17/13 12:52 am - Hawthorne, CA

You have gotten "sound" advice.  My question is how would you feel being the "odd man out" if it were cake or desserts or anything that goes AGAINST your plan.

Nothing is 100% off limits but ultimately it's about making a stand for your health and not going along with the crowd.

Ms Shell

Most Active