Protein Struggle

jenamir21
on 10/19/13 12:17 pm
VSG on 10/14/13
I am struggling with my protein intake. I don't know what to do. All of my protein drinks are SUPER SWEET! Any ideas on protein powders I can maybe try putting in my chicken broth or something? Also my sense of smell is out of this world. I smell food a mile away. Lol! I'm not really hungry but at the same time I haven't had any solid food in about 3 weeks. Pray for me guys! I'm trying my best!!!

28 YO 5'11 HW:315 GW:185 SW:293

bugsy
on 10/19/13 12:22 pm
VSG on 10/10/13

My favorite protein shake is the Premier Protein Chocolate.  It isn't too sweet to me.  The vanilla is good as well but it does seem a bit sweeter.  Unjury also makes unflavored protein which you can add to just about anything.  I believe you can order it online.  I hope that helps.  Protein supplements are a very hard thing to navigate for sure!

Mandy

pineview01
on 10/19/13 12:26 pm - Davison, MI

I would add the chocolate and vanilla to my decaf so it wasn't so sweet.  Unjury makes and unflavored and a chicken broth protein drink.  As far as smell, we were told a trick of drinking it out of a sippy cup or bottle with top so as not to smell it.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

KATHYL1
on 10/19/13 12:32 pm
VSG on 10/07/13

I too am struggling with my protein intake.  I agree that all of the protein drinks are way too sweet.  I am able to tolerate the Premier protein shakes.  If you try an unflavored protein powder in broth, make sure you add a little hot liquid to the protein powder before you add it to your broth.  I didn't know that the first time I tried it.  I am also intolerant of aspartame, so it is making getting my fluids in tough also.  I am really tired of water, but all of the sugar free beverages (Crystal Light, etc) are sweetened with aspartame. Same with Jello and popsicles!

I did try a little cottage cheese.  I didn't blend it, but mushed it up and also chewed it well.  It didn't sit well, I had cold sweats, dizziness, nausea.  It made me leery of trying anything else for now.  I have also tried cream soup, but nothing really seems to taste good.  

I have decided what I am having is head hunger and it is something I am going to have to work on for a very long time.

Hang in there.  We can do this.  You have my prayers.

katym
on 10/19/13 12:47 pm - PA

hi Jenamir,

I know what you mean about being sick of the sweet stuff. Lots of us go through a stage of being really sensitive to the artificial sweeteners. Several companies make unflavored protein powder. Unjury also makes 2 savory protein powders: Chicken Soup and Proteined Cheese sauce. Unjury needs to be ordered online. So in the meantime have you tried diluting your protein drinks to make the sweetness less intense? Sometimes I would literally hold my nose to avoid the protein smell when I started drinking. Sounds childish but it helped me. It is essential to work on getting your liquids and proteins in no matter what.

You can do this! Best wishes, Katy

consult weight 241 (had not been accurately weighed for over 10 years, my medical records just said "wheelchair") high weight was probably closer to 260. 

melissa5542
on 10/19/13 12:57 pm - TN

I am also struggling with the protein intake! I'm only 7 days out and everytime I try to drink anything with protein I get really sick to my stomach! I have no idea what to do! I just can't keep it down!?!?  And I am not hungry per-say but just not satisfied. 

sunshine1968
on 10/19/13 1:12 pm

I haven't had my surgery yet but when I went to visit Dr. Enochs office in  Cary I noticed that he has a store below that sells all sorts of protein shakes, vitamins etc You could check there and see if they have any items that you would like.

jenamir21
on 10/20/13 2:53 am
VSG on 10/14/13

Oh wow! That is where I went as well and Dr. Bruce is my surgeon. I've been to the store to get some things from there before and it was not the best tasting. I'm doing a lil better today just trying to get thru these protein drinks.!

28 YO 5'11 HW:315 GW:185 SW:293

JAlston
on 10/19/13 1:16 pm
VSG on 12/07/12

Unjury chicken soup, it is and was my favorite...even 10 months post op. I couldn't have ever made goal on the sweet drinks, chicken soup was my saving grace.

Best of luck!

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

abbyluwho
on 10/19/13 1:31 pm - kc, MO
VSG on 06/25/13 with

After much trial and error, I have found Syntrax Nectar to be the one for me. Chocolate Truffle is what I drink.  I don't like Vanilla, and can't stand anything that even remotely resembles coffee.    I'm waiting for my sample pack so I can try their fruity ones.   I also discovered that after surgery, milk doesn't agree with me, and after discovering the Lactaid, that has made life a lot easier.  I am almost 4 months out, and now with the Syntrax, I am finally able to hit 60g a day with ease. 

For sugar free drinks, I simply get plain old packages of Kool-aid and sweeten them with Stevia.  I'm doing better with plain water, but I have to admit I miss my soda pop.

Most Active