Sleeve or bypass

Brandee01
on 12/19/13 2:18 am

I originally planned to have a bypass but recently I have been thinking about switching to sleeve. A coordinator advised me to stay with the bypass because the risks are about the same and the expected weight loss would be disappointing with the sleeve. I was told that if my bmi is over 40 I would want to stick with the bypass to avoid having to come back later for another procedure. My understanding was that the sleeve had less complications but weight loss was about the same. I'm not sure this coordinator isn't just trying to push for the most expensive procedure. Any advice from personal experience? 

Mary Catherine
on 12/19/13 2:31 am

With RNY weight loss is quicker, easier and often more than with the sleeve.  VSG offers one tool, restriction.  RNY has restriction and malabsorption.  The malabsorption lasts about two years, then it is mainly restriction.

Another option is DS which gives a sleeve and lifelong restriction. 

It is a good idea to research all options to avoid having to get another procedure in the future.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/19/13 2:17 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

You meant to say lifelong malabsorption with the DS. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Gail D.
on 12/19/13 2:32 am

In my education class, the statistics were the same for the sleeve and bypass as far as weight loss and weight maintenance -- as long as you stick with the program and don't rely on surgery alone to get you to your goal. They did say, however, some find the sleeve a better option because you have little to no 'stretch' potential with the sleeve. My father in law had bypass three years ago, and he eats twice at a meal what i did before I had surgery. He says since it's malnutritive, he doesn't worry about it... but then he complains because he can't lose the last 25 pounds he wants to lose.

We were also told the bypass is better if you're diabetic or pre-diabetic, because of the both restrictive and mal-nutritive aspects of the surgery. It helps the treatment of diabetes much faster and more effectively than the sleeve.

My surgeon asked me which I preferred. I preferred the sleeve. He asked me if  was diabetic or pre-diabetic, and I said no. Then he said "sleeve it is". :-)

Brandee01
on 12/19/13 2:58 am
Thanks for your reply. I'm ready and willing to do the work involved but I need to lose about 140lbs. I'm not sure that is realistic with sleeve. But since I am not diabetic I'm not sure the bypass is necessary. I'm still researching!
Cindy B.
on 12/19/13 7:30 am
VSG on 10/22/12

I lost 130 pounds with the sleeve. I've been really good about following the rules and eating what I'm supposed to eat and exercising. I didn't have any problems losing up until the very end. I averaged a 3 pound loss every week when I was in my weight loss phase and continued to lose slowly since I've been in maintenance. I lost the majority of the weight in about 8 months. So it's very possible for you to lose 140 pounds, if you're willing to put the work in. I wasn't diabetic either, and for me the sleeve was the best choice. Good luck choosing what's best for you. :)

Surgery weight 255     GW 140     CW 128

happyteacher
on 12/19/13 3:18 am

You are correct- less complications, comparable weight loss.  When I had mine done 2 years ago my surgeon said weight loss was about 5% less than his Rny patients.  By the time I returned to him for my 1 year follow-up he said that his patients had evened out- comparable either way with weight loss.  But consider,

If you are a sugar addict then dumping (rny) may force you more into plan.

However,

You will not be able to to take nsiads, your caloric malabsorption will eventually not work anymore- but you will always need to supplement vitamins and such, you are rerouted

There are pros and cons to each.  My doc due to being diabetic recommended Rny, but I was firm on the sleeve.  It worked out beautifully!  My starting bmi was around 44.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 12/19/13 3:20 am

Oh, and I lost over 150 pounds... closer to 160 at this point with my bmi sitting at 22.5 at the moment.  And I could have easily lost more had I needed to.  The sleeve is plenty strong enough to lose 140 pounds. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Brandee01
on 12/19/13 3:54 am
Fantastic!! Great job! I feel closer to choosing the sleeve
Brandee01
on 12/19/13 9:56 am
Thank you for all this good information. It's really been helpful for putting things in perspective.
Most Active