Shreduary Post #6 - Fat Burning Supplements

Keith L.
on 1/8/14 12:29 am, edited 1/8/14 12:35 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I have been wanting to post this from the start of the month and I have not had time to write it properly. I may redo this at some future date to give it the proper attention and added detail that I think it really needs.

The most important thing I can emphasize here is that this a "fat burner" does not actually burn fat. It does one of a couple of things. It increases your metabolism (by either raising your body temperature or increasing your heart rate), it lowers or stabilizes blood sugar or inhibits an insulin response, or it is a precursor of some sort to the fat burning process where it prepares a cell to release fats.

So probably the most effective approach (and the one I use) is to use some combination of these supplements. It is also important to note that we are talking about a small percentage increase that is not measurable in a day or two but adds up over time. So while when you read about these they all sound super impressive, they take time to actually work and by not means are they meant to replace exercise and diet, they are meant to be used with a sensible diet AND and consistent exercise routine. The following are from various articles and the links to those articles are at the bottom. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do your own research. This is NOT a comprehensive list, it is NOT a complete reference, and you should ALWAYS consult with your doctor and/or nutritionist before adding any of these to your plan. With all of that being said (and I hope you all read it), here are some of the best "Fat Burning" Supplements:

Caffeine  

When you ingest caffeine, it binds to receptors on your fat cells. Normally the nucleotide adenosine binds to these receptors, and when it does, it puts a halt on fat release from the cells. With caffeine sitting on the receptors, adenosine can't attach, and fat release is maximized. This is particularly effective when taking caffeine before workouts, several studies have confirmed.  

Yohimbe

The extract from the bark of this West African tree, Pausinystalia yohimbe, contains the active compound yohimbine, which is now known primarily for its fat-burning effects. It aids fat loss by specifically increasing the amount of fat that gets released from your fat cells, much like caffeine does, but via a different mechanism. Taking both together can compound the effects on fat release.  

Research shows that when taken before exercise, yohimbine may more than double the amount of fat released from fat cells. However, it's not for everyone. If you have any liver, kidney, or heart problems, are pregnant or breastfeeding, are prone to anxiety, or have a psychological disorder, steer clear of yohimbe.  

Green Tea Extract  

Green tea extract is a no-brainer supplement when it comes to fat burners. It aids fat loss by boosting the number of calories you burn each day, and that's saying nothing of the host of health and physique benefits it offers, such as enhanced joint and muscle recovery. It's also a powerful antioxidant.  

The active ingredients in green tea responsible for fat-burning effect are catechins, and one catechin in particular called epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). This potent antioxidant inhibits an enzyme that normally breaks down the neurotransmitter and hormone norepinephrine, which speeds up processes in the body-such as calorie burning.  

Capsaicin  

This increasingly popular supplement is the natural plant chemical that gives spicy peppers their heat. It also increases the amount of calories your body burns, thanks to its ability to raise epinephrine levels.  

One study from Japanese researchers found that consuming capsaicin with a meal raised calorie expenditure by more than 30 percent. A study from the University of Oklahoma likewise found that subjects who took a supplement containing both capsaicin and caffeine burned more calories during and after exercise than those who didn't.    

Carnitine/L-Carnitine/Acetyl-L-Carnitine  

This amino-acid-like molecule is a critical component of the complex transporting system that brings fat into the mitochondria, where it is finally burned away for good. Several studies confirm that supplementing with carnitine increases the amount of fat that the body burns up.  

Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA)  

This is a naturally occurring group of healthy omega-6 fats. Numerous research studies confirm that CLA enhances fat loss while simultaneously boosting muscle growth and strength. The main way it works is by inhibiting the enzyme lipoprotein lipase (LPL). LPL allows fat cells to take up fat from the bloodstream and store it as body fat. By inhibiting LPL, CLA prevents the body from storing fat and instead encourages it to burn fat.  

Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA)  

Supplementing with Alpha Lipoic Acid can be useful for providing antioxidant support, because ALA is water and fat soluble.*   

Fish Oil  

This source of essential omega-3 fats provides both eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). These omega-3 fats have recently been found to turn on genes the increase fat burning while turning off genes that decrease fat storage. That doesn't include the laundry list of other benefits these fats provide, such as enhanced brain function, improved mood, joint recovery, and even elevated muscle growth.  

7-Keto  

7-Keto might sound like some alien compound, but it's actually a natural, non-hormonal metabolite (breakdown product) of DHEA. Just like DHEA, 7-Keto is produced naturally in the body. As we age, levels of 7-Keto drop.  

Supplementing with 7-Keto may help increase your metabolic rate and help you burn fat more effectively. 7-Keto might also improve protein synthesis, which means it may help you preserve more lean muscle on a caloric deficit.  

Coconut Oil  

Virgin coconut oil, on the other hand, is extracted from fresh coconut meat by wet-milling, sun-drying, presses, centrifuges, or grating. But take note that "expeller-pressed" and "cold-pressed" does not mean the same thing as "virgin," so look for that title. Virgin processes are regulated by the Asian and Pacific Coconut Community (APCC), whi*****ludes the countries that produce the majority of the coconut oil sold globally.  

To appreciate the uniqueness of virgin coconut oil, it's important to understand how your body processes macronutrients. In general, fats are metabolized differently from proteins and carbohydrates. Instead of being broken down to form the building blocks of tissues and to generate energy immediately, fats are normally first broken down into fatty acids. Those then aggregate to form lipoproteins before being deposited in fatty tissues.  

However, medium-chain fatty acids like the ones found in abundance in virgin coconut oil are an exception. They are not used by the body like fats, but rather like carbohydrates. This means that medium-chain fatty acids do not circulate freely in the blood or get stored away to add to body weight. Instead, they are sent to the liver, where they are immediately converted to energy.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-fat-burning-fat-the-coco nut-is-natures-premiere-thermogenic.html  

Cayenne Pepper  

Cayenne contains the active plant compound capsaicin. Capsaicin brings the heat to this pepper, the burning sensation you get when you eat it. It's a completely natural part of cayenne pepper, and many other peppers, that can kick your fat loss diet up a notch. 

Capsaicin may increase metabolism, support the immune system, improve circulation, and promote increased body heat. Cayenne pepper is a super-spice that not only dazzles your taste buds but also promotes your overall health and wellness! If you're ready to really turn up the heat on your metabolism, start by mixing a teaspoon of cayenne pepper with 8 ounces of water. Add lemon juice for extra tang and go for it!  

Green Tea  

One cup of green tea has more antioxidant power than the same amount of fresh fruit, vegetable juice, or wine. And to be a real show off, green tea extracts that combine polyphenols like EGCG (stands for epigallocatechin gallate and is one of many plant compounds that give health benefits) and caffeine may help increase your core body temperature, boost metabolism, and burn fat.  

Psyllium  

Psyllium is a soluble fiber that comes from the seeds of the Plantago Psyllium plant. Obviously, psyllium's main function is to help cleanse your system of waste products. But pysllium can also aid weight loss efforts and support blood sugar levels already within a normal range.  

Flax Seeds  

Flaxseeds are a great source of healthy and essential fats and fiber. Flaxseeds are also incredibly versatile. You can throw whole seeds into baked goods; grind the seeds and put the powder into shakes or on top of morning cereal; or pick up flax seed oil at your local health food store to replace other cooking oils.    

FAT BURNING "STACKS"  

Stacks are the term body builders use refer to the combination of ingredients. The combination of ingredients is better than the ingredients by themselves. Here are some popular body builder fat burning stacks. These very greatly in price and are listed below from least to most expensive.  

• CAFFEINE AND GREEN TEA EXTRACT
  • FORSKOLIN AND CARNITINE
  • RED PEPPER AND GINGER
  • SESAMIN AND TTA
  • CALCIUM, SELENIUM AND ZINC
  • GLUTAMINE AND ARGININE
  • WHEY AND SOY
  • GLUCOMANNAN AND 5-HTP
  • CLA AND FISH OIL  

Here is the full article so you can read the details about each stack: http://www.muscleandfitness.com/supplements/lose-fat/9-fat-f ighting-supplement-combos    

These articles are in no particular order:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fat-burner-facts-5-fat-burni ng-ingredients.html

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/supplements/lose-fat/9-fat-f ighting-supplement-combos - this was one of my faves

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-ultimate-4-natural-fat-f ighting-stack.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/stack-it-scorch-it-how-to-bu ild-the-perfect-fat-burner.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mens-fitness-guide-to-supple ments-fat-burners.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/raspberry-ketones-natural-we ight-loss-support.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/5-truths-about-fat-burners.h tml

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-fat-burning-fat-the-coco nut-is-natures-premiere-thermogenic.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dont-give-fat-a-chance.html

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Shagdoll
on 1/8/14 12:36 am

I'm a little terrified of taking anything that can increase my heart rate.  When I was 19, I took an appetite suppressant once.  My heart was pounding out of my chest and scare the crap out of me.   I never took those things again. 

I think I'll stock up on cayenne pepper as mentioned instead.  kiss

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Keith L.
on 1/8/14 12:45 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

The only think here that increase your heart rate is caffeine and you drink that every day. Everything else on here should be fine. Green Tea extract sometimes has a small amount of caffeine in it, but you can also get it caffeine free if you just want the ECCG. But its also a small amount. I am sure a coffee drinker like you can handle it.

butterfly3851
on 1/8/14 12:45 am - TX

Thank you for your research - so helpful and I'll be printing out your post and doing some research.  You need to change your name to DR OZ the second!

So how do you incorporate these supplements in your typical day?  Do you take every day?  

Bufflehead
on 1/8/14 12:50 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Do you have any links to articles from peer-reviewed scientific journals?

Keith L.
on 1/8/14 1:27 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I do not, but one or more of the articles linked at the bottom was written by Jim Stoppani, it will likely be a BodyBuilding.com article, he is a PhD and his articles have all his references at the bottom. The problem with supplements in general is they do not get a lot of scientific look. I have tried to steer clear of the "BroScience" supplements and tried to keep it to the commonly accepted across the industry supplements. There are other like the old school ECA stack that I have been told by 2 PhDs that they know are effective fat burners but have little to back it up.

mickeymantle
on 1/8/14 1:06 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

before taking green tea extract do some research , there has been a few deaths reported on the news linked to it

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

beldujour
on 1/8/14 4:21 am
VSG on 09/25/14

Green tea extract is considered safe for human consumption, according to the American Cancer Society. The reported deaths from green tea extract were among dogs.

Source: http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/complementaryandalternativemedicine/herbsvitaminsandminerals/green-tea

HTH.

mickeymantle
on 1/8/14 4:36 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I seen a news report of a male college student dyeing from compilations  from taking green tea extract , I think the kidneys shut down 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Keith L.
on 1/8/14 5:05 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

It is very important to speak with your doctor before taking any of these things. I am not familiar with the report, but I have been taking green tea extract for quite a long time with no ill effects. I can imagine if it was a student there was something else involved. The student wasn't getting adequate sleep, took it with a bunch of energy drinks, took a bunch of it to stay away, something like that.

Anything taken to excess will have some bad effects. I know for a fact that eating too much sugar will lead to diabetes and could also lead to death. Drinking too much water can cause intoxication, toxicity, and has even caused death. Obviously we are not going to say stop eating sugar or drinking water, but we also know from our nutritional education that there are limits to the amount of these things that are safe to consume.

I also have to think that the source of the supplement must be trusted. I tend to go back to the same brands that are recommended to me by my doctor, pharmacist, or nutritionist.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 51 views