Just had Sugeon Appt - Fired up!

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/14 1:49 am

I posted yesterday about questions to ask and what if he doesn't agree with Sleeve for me.  I met my surgeon today and I'm in love (in a medical sort of way I guess)!  He was amazing, answered all my questions, spent over 2 hours with me, and sounds like a true pro!  He agreed that the Sleeve was a great decision for me personally, so I'm really relieved.  I did ask about bougie size which someone reminded me to do yesterday - and it's 32F in this practice.  Of all their findings, they believe this to be the most effective (I know this can be a debate starter, but it's just what they believe in this practice).  Since this is what he's good at, I'm happy with it.  He's had no leaks in his history, nor any complications related to sleeve - which yes this is totally a variable factor, but I figure the odds are in my favor! 

Here's my only lingering decision so feel free to share your thoughts please:)  He recommended, but it's not mandatory, for me to start on lexipro.  Has nothing to do with my medical history or anything I told him. He said in his experience the patients who go on this for about 6 months have seen great results, and they believe in part that it's because they are less anxious.  He gave me a written prescrip and said I can do whatever I'm comfortable with after thinking about it.  Did anyone out there with no prior history take something like this pre surgery?  I'm someone who is not fond of the idea generally.

Nikke2003
on 1/27/14 1:53 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

First - congrats on having such a great appointment! I'm glad you are confident in your surgeon's abilities.

Personally, I think simply prescribing Lexipro to every patient is crazy. If you have no medical history for needing it and he didn't evaluate you in some way to determine that prescribing it would be a good course of treatment for an existing issue, then I wouldn't take it. From what I understand, you really have to be careful when weaning yourself off of something like that and if you didn't need it in the first place, do you really want to go through any side effects (not just coming off of it, but side effects from taking it in general)

I personally would not take something like that - or really any other medication - unless I had a specific reason for it. I'm not an expert in this area though, so perhaps there is a valid medical reason (and tried research) that shows this is a good option?

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 1/27/14 1:55 am
VSG on 12/06/12
Darianna75
on 1/27/14 2:06 am
VSG on 02/21/14

I have been on lexapro before. If you decide to take it let me warn you.. I became overly happy and excited.. My coworkers took to calling me "super happy girl" it was like I was on lots of caffeine too.  I also ate more!! The other thing, this may be TMI but,.. Don't plan on wanting sex , and if you do  it , ****** is basically impossible !! Not sure if those are factors for you but be warned 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/27/14 2:24 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I have bipolar, and Lexapro is currently in my ****tail. An******ia is one of the lovely side effects (booooo), and oddly enough weight gain happens fairly frequently as well-- it's a pretty common side effect in most psych meds. There are lots of other side effects, too, and that's just for those with legit mental health diagnoses... no idea what would happen to someone without a legit, pre-op anxiety disorder.

I would be EXTREMELY concerned about handing out pills in this manner, to say the least.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Gwen M.
on 1/27/14 3:18 am
VSG on 03/13/14

For me, SSRIs deadened the highs as well as the lows, so I was more like "super nothing girl" :P

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/14 2:25 am

Enough said Darianna I'm already a generally hyper outgoing girl, I can't imagine myself on something to enhance that.  And as far as the sex thing, if my husband heard that little factoid I think he'd forbid it:)  I think I immediately made my mind up against it when he threw it out there, but a little reinforcement from others is nice. 

71dart
on 1/27/14 2:26 am
VSG on 08/06/12 with

I think prescribing Lexapro in this situation seems odd.  I can only share my personal experience because I took it for a few months a couple years pre-op for depression: Lexapro caused me to gain weight (not sure why), and while those around me thought I was unusually happy, I did not feel like myself.  Also, the sexual side effects are an absolute deal breaker for me ever taking that one again.  EVER.

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/14 2:39 am

LOL!  Yeah, it seemed a bit out there compared to the way the rest of the appointment was.  I'm wondering if they might get some sort of kickback.  As much as I hate to admit that because I truly am ecstatic about the surgeon, I'm sure this kind of thing runs rampant.

KevinBacon
on 1/27/14 2:59 am
VSG on 03/10/14

rdy2bthin1 as she left her appointment: 

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

Most Active