Surgeon told me no NSAIDS

KevinBacon
on 4/2/14 5:08 am
VSG on 03/10/14

Why do some say NSAIDS are okay and some don't? The ability to still have NSAIDS if I need them was one of my biggest driving forces behind choosing VSG. 

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

(deactivated member)
on 4/2/14 5:10 am

They are not good for anyone.....however....many people who have had VSG take them on a daily basis.  You really can't do that with RNY, but again, they can lead to trouble for anyone.

grayC
on 4/2/14 5:39 am
VSG on 05/01/13

My Dr allows them once your healed,

That being said..I'm almost a year out and I haven't needed them at all

I have in the past had 3 herniated discs in my back and tendonitis of the elbow..

I had a flare up of the tendonitis right after surgery and thought OH. SHYT what am I gonna do, 

but it was gone in 3 days..Dr thinks the surgery triggered something in areas of weakness in my body..

haven't had a flare up since!!

megan.sherman
on 4/2/14 5:48 am
VSG on 05/17/14

There is a whole page in my bariatric info binder with a list of things we can't take.  Ibuprofin, Excederin, Aspirin are all on the no-no list. The doctor told me yesterday that if Aspirin is needed for a heart condition, it can be taken but otherwise, no. 

Jackie T.
on 4/2/14 5:53 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Every doctor is different.  I was told that it was okay after 3 months.  According to my surgeon's office, your chances of getting an ulcer after surgery are the same as they were before the surgery.  This is not true with the RNY or DS.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/2/14 5:56 am
RNY on 08/05/19

My understanding is that it has to do with concerns about ulcers and the importance of keeping your stomach lining intact while you heal.

Some doctors apparently think it's super important to guard the stomach lining, especially at first, and encourage patients to get by on Tylenol if they can. These also seem to be the same docs who prescribe PPIs early on (just my observation though).

I wouldn't be surprised if it comes down to an individual risk assessment. I got the go-ahead for NSAIDs immediately post-op since I'm apparently immune to asprin, tylenol, and anything narcotic, and I've been on a PPI (Dexilant) since the day I started anything non-liquid. But perhaps patients who don't have such a reliance on NSAIDs may be encouraged to avoid them as a "just in case" best-practice?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 4/2/14 6:14 am
tysmom01
on 4/2/14 6:38 am - MS
VSG on 08/12/13

My doctor told me that the concern with NSAIDS is to do with stomach ulcers, which anyone can get them from the meds, not just us VSGers. I had to have my lower back rebuilt a few years back so I have screws, plates, pretty much the whole nine yards in there. So Ibuprofen is my miracle drug when the weather changes come. I have never had any issues with taking it. My doctor said since I have never had an issue then I'm fine to take it post op. Of course, I had to wait 3 months until he released me to take pills. But I've taken it several times since released and no issues yet. One thing I've always done (pre and post op) is make sure I have food in my stomach before taking the Ibuprofen. 

Age: 34 ~ Height: 5'5 ~ HW: 287 (7/28/2013) ~ SW: 272 ~ GW: 150 ~ Goal weight met 8/9/2014  

Gwen M.
on 4/2/14 7:04 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think a lot of doctors don't bother to think these things through.  Since it's bad for RNY, clearly it's bad for all WLS.  But everything I've read says that if you don't have a problem with NSAIDs prior to surgery, you're probably not going to have a problem after - although it's wise to wait for your stomach to heal.  

I did have an ulcer pre-op that was probably a combination of stress and NSAIDs, so I'll be avoiding them as much as I can.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Grim_Traveller
on 4/2/14 8:38 am
RNY on 08/21/12

NSAIDS can cause stomache ulcers in anyone, surgery or not. Not everyone will get an ulcer. Some are susceptible, some aren't. If you have an unaltered stomach, or a sleeve, it's easy to findthe ulcer with a scope and treat it. With RNY, you can't. Most people with RNY could take them and never have a problem. But if you are one of the few who are susceptible to ulcers, you could be screwed.

Once your sleeve is healed, NSAIDS should be ok. But with any medication that could cause harmful side effects, you'll have to weigh the risk vs the reward.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views