You're getting too thin comments HELP PLEASE

Kathy8429
on 4/14/14 11:50 pm

Help!!!

I've been hearing comments

"your head looks big in comparison to your body"

"your skin is hanging off of you"

I still would like to lose a few more pounds, but I know the hanging skin is quite alarming. I also have no intension of having plastic surgery. I had enough of that with the breast cancer a few years ago, so I had planned on stopping a little bit higher to prevent the alarming  skin hang. 

I do have to say the big head comment hurt the most. I don't want a big head in comparison to my shoulders. Plus it came from my daughter and she knows that would be a concern of mine. 

I can't imagine I'm TOO thin. I weighed 115-130 in my 20s and that included 2 pregnancies. 

Anyway, when people tell me I laugh it off and just say something like "you're too funny" but have any of you let this affect you? How do you respond without hurting feelings? Also I want to put people at ease

ANY advice will be appreciated

kathy

Stacy_WLS
on 4/15/14 12:00 am

I think it takes a while for people to readjust on our appearances.  I have had some shocked responses to my weight loss.  At the end of the day you want to get somewhere where you are healthy and comfortable.  Don't let other people's comments affect you (easier said than done).

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Jackie T.
on 4/15/14 12:08 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I don't have any funny quips for you to reply.  I am still uncomfortable when people comment on how I look, usually it is a compliment but I too don't know how to reply.  I just usually say thank you and change the subject.  As far as hanging skin goes, my arms and thighs and even stomach were bad at first but the further out I get my skin is readjusting and the hanging is not as bad but there for a while I was concerned but that quickly changed.  I also have not been exercising and if I did I think my skin would tighten up some more.  I personally would not set my goal of how much I was going to lose by how my skin looks.  I would set it based on my physical well-being and lab work, etc.  Could you daugter's comment been a personal dig to get under your skin because she knew it would bother you?

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Kathy8429
on 4/15/14 12:13 am

Well unfortunately yes it could be a dig. I don't think it would be on purpose but she is human...

slimpickins5280
on 4/15/14 12:24 am - CO

How about - My head looks big - your head IS big. As a matter of fact, I'm getting a little claustrophobic with you standing this close.

Or - I can change saggy skin - you will always be a smelly *****

Or - opinions are like ******** - everyone has them and they all stink. I'll just do me if you don't mind.

Maybe this one - You could use a set of batwings so that you could fly away and leave me the **** alone.

At Christmas, my dad told me that he wanted me to stop losing weight - right in front of my kids and husband who see me every ******g day and are fine with my weight. My response - How does it feel to want?  

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Kathy8429
on 4/15/14 12:44 am

Hahahahaha

Tracy D.
on 4/15/14 12:44 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Oh, Slim - I really wish I had thought of these!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

HuskerBrenda
on 4/15/14 5:23 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 09/23/13

45y/o  5'4" Sleeve 9/23/13 Dr. Thomas White  HW 245; SW 232.8; CW 141.8

Tracy D.
on 4/15/14 12:29 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Frankly, Kathy - screw the idea of putting THEM at ease.  The things they are saying to you are downright rude and out of line.  People should NOT make comments about another person's body, especially if it's negative.  I'd give your daughter a pass on her comment because she's family, but everyone else needs to be put in their place.  

Be assertive and practice saying something like, "My doctor is very happy with my progress; he'll let me know when I'm finally at a healthy weight.  In the meantime, I really don't appreciate personal comments about my body - it's rude and hurtful."   

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Kathy8429
on 4/15/14 12:45 am

Tracy, I just love you

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 50 views