Carbs???

lucky62756
on 4/20/14 10:58 pm - York Haven, PA
VSG on 12/02/14

If oatmeal is so good for you why then is it so high in carbs??  How many carbs per day after sleeve surgery, I love me some oatmeal!!!! 

2/09 pre. 264.7            214 lbs. Band removal.  4/29/20014       revision to sleeve 12/2/14  243.4

cece58
on 4/20/14 11:02 pm - CA

Oatmeal was not on the list of allowed food while I was in the weightless phase. I was allowed 40 grams or less of carbs and they were from leafy green vegetables only. My surgeon was very strict with diet after surgery. I still avoid oatmeal as it makes me hungrier than if I eat a protein for breakfast. 

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

Jackie T.
on 4/20/14 11:07 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

You are going to have to find the right balance of protein, carbs, etc for yourself.  I would first follow your doctor's plan.  The thing about oatmeal is that it has a lot of fiber in it so it is good from that aspect.  There are some that don'****ch carbs and others that eat limited carbs.  I subscribe to the lower carb realm.  It is has worked for me and I don't really miss them.  I actually feel bad when I eat a lot of carbs.  During weight loss I stuck to 600-800 calories, less than 40 carbs and 60-80 grams of protein.  There are some that eat more carbs and do just fine but there are others that stay away because they trigger the need for more carbs and it derails their weight loss.  I find that by the time I eat all of my protein I don't have room for carbs so I stay away from them.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

tansey90
on 4/20/14 11:15 pm

Funny I was just thinking about the oatmeal I had yesterday for breakfast.  Good:  It got helped me to get "regular" - Bad:  It seemed to make me hungry faster than usual. 

I have decided to skip oatmeal now on.  When I eat eggbeaters for breakfast I stay full until lunchtime.

Didn't think about the carbs in oatmeail but that must be why it didn't keep me satisfied for long.

Lisa B (tansey90)

Snellville, GA

Tracy D.
on 4/20/14 11:20 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Oatmeal has high fiber and has slower-releasing carbs than a pastry, so in that sense it is "good for you" and a much better choice than a donut or pastry.  However, just because a food is considered healthy for a normal eater does not automatically make it healthy for a post-op bariatric patient, especially if you're diabetic like me.  

Even healthy carbs from whole grains can send my glucose levels into the stratosphere since I no longer take medication.  And it sets me up for the cycle of spiking and crashing blood sugars, which then sets off the carb monster and increases my hunger.  

Are there people on here who eat oatmeal and are successful with it?  Sure, and I'm certain that they will post on this thread.  But oatmeal wasn't a healthy choice for me during weight-loss mode and isn't something I've played around with yet in maintenance.  There may come a time when I try it again...but I'll be sure to monitor my blood sugars like a hawk.  

happyteacher
on 4/20/14 11:24 pm

All oatmeal is not created equal.  Avoid the instant variety like the plague.  The only version IMHO one should consider is steel cut oatmeal.  There is more protein in that version with a better satiety factor than the other types.  But with that said, I do not eat oatmeal much anymore.  I too adore it!  I have found that for whatever reason it causes me to be hungrier than normal for the rest of the day.  Even if I eat comparable levels of carbs, this still holds true.  Not sure why.  So, tread lightly with oatmeal (and this is coming from a chic who eats carbs). 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

lucky62756
on 4/20/14 11:26 pm - York Haven, PA
VSG on 12/02/14

Thank you! I always ate oatmeal 2/3 times a week. weighloss oatmeal by quackery oats with my band, getting that $$$$ out next Tuesday!! Yea. Sleeve hopefully in 2 months. Just asking.   I guess it will be eggs now, we raise chickens so there is always alot of eggs around! Lol

2/09 pre. 264.7            214 lbs. Band removal.  4/29/20014       revision to sleeve 12/2/14  243.4

MAchick
on 4/20/14 11:59 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

I love eggs. From my head down to my legs. 

puffierus
on 4/21/14 12:39 am - PA

Add a scoop protein to your oatmeal, either powder or add Greek yogurt to it.  Most people try to stay at 40 carb per day or below...after surgery it might be difficult to have the same portion size so maybe you can still enjoy but is small sizes  certainly continue to enjoy it before the surgery

HW 268   SW219   CW 181.2 surgery date 10/31/2013

:<span class=

jbskaggs
on 4/21/14 12:41 am - holt, MO

Oatmeal is also a trigger for gout attacks. Don't know why but it is. :)  Like the previous poster I prefer eggs.

Most Active