horror stories...

Nicki08
on 4/23/14 8:26 am
VSG on 09/15/14

so, everyone here seems so happy with there decision to have vsg..I am researching and wondering where the horror stories are...are there some?..i just feel like I want to know everything good and bad before doing this...

KevinBacon
on 4/23/14 8:33 am
VSG on 03/10/14

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/complications/

Check out the complications board^^^^^

I am one of the ones who had issues. I wouldn't call it a horror exactly, but all the same, I thought I was going to die so it was terrible in the moment. That being said, complications and all I am still 100% happy I had this procedure done! I am the lightest I've been since knowing my husband, already enjoying the NSV's and feeling good in my skin! I feel like I have already won :D 

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 4/23/14 9:59 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Katie, sorry for having to call you out like this but I really feel that you refer to complications from WLS and it is misleading for posters who may not go back and read folks' histories, next time, do say what kind of horror stories or complications you had and don't neglect to mention that these, while really terrible for you and thank heavens seem to be over now, were not at all from your sleeve surgery but from your gall bladder removal. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

KevinBacon
on 4/23/14 10:00 am
VSG on 03/10/14

Ahhh... right. Mine don't count. This will be the last time I mention it.

Ms Shell
on 4/23/14 10:11 am - Hawthorne, CA

Please don't...MANY of us do understand that had it not been FOR the WLS these complications would not have happened to you.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 4/23/14 10:13 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Of course it counts! Its just not due to the weight loss surgery. It is related because you had the GB out at the same time as you had your sleeve and in other posts you did identify the sources of your complications and you even mentioned that your sleeve was perfectly fine through the whole ordeal. Please don't react like this was some sort of negating or minimising of what you went through which was terrible and I am sincerely glad it is over. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

KevinBacon
on 4/23/14 10:16 am
VSG on 03/10/14

It does feel like minimization. I will make sure to be more specific in the future though since this has been the 3rd or 4th time someone pointed this out so I get it's a problem for people. 

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 4/23/14 10:26 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Well for the record, it is not minimising at all what you went through. Pain and suffering, whatever the source, is not something to discount. It is legitimate. And I am sincerely glad yours is on the mend now. Please do keep mentioning your experience and journey because few people understand what the possible issues are with gall bladder removal which is passed off as routine most of the time but actually can be the source of invalidity. And the GB removall is also often done in conjunction with WLS so people stand to learn a lot from your experience. Share it fully!

KevinBacon
on 4/23/14 10:27 am
VSG on 03/10/14

lol exactly! I will do this. Thanks for the heads up. I will be more detailed in the future.

carrie054
on 4/23/14 10:39 am

lots of emotions on OH today. :) I may be stepping in it, but I'll say that it did seem like minimization bc of the way your original response was worded--apologizing for having to call her out.  Had that language not been used it may have been received differently.  

I had my GB taken out the day of surgery and that was muuuuuch more painful post-op than my sleeve, oddly (I didn't have nearly the problems Katie did but it was fused to my liver and required cauterization to remove.  No complications in recovery though, just an extra hour on the table).  I do agree that new posters should know the source of complications, but she did direct the OP to the complications board.  

VSG on 1/28/14

M1 -24 lbs  M2 -11  M3 -14 M4 -6 lb(total loss:  55)

HW:  297  SW:  279 CW:  224

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 45 views