gaining weight back!! calling all long

MS.LISA
on 7/8/14 5:45 am - Salem, OR

hihad my surgery 4 years ago gain back 60! I was trying to know if there is anyone gain weight and been successful in losing it again? I would like to hear from you how you

Ihearttennis
on 7/8/14 7:06 am - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I am only 15 mos from surgery so I don't have a lot of advice to give you except that I know a lot of people go through this.  There is even a forum on here specifically to get back on track.  I don't know if you use the My Fitness Pal app but I find that tracking daily is a big factor to keeping me accountable.  When I stop tracking I have a tendency to start cheating.  For me, as time goes by I notice complacency starting to kick in so I have to remind myself to stick to the basics.  No diet coke or other carbonated drinks, up my water intake, back to a protein drink to replace a meal, no bread etc.  It's a daily challenge and I do my best one day at a time.  If you make a bad choice don't blow it the rest of the day, just track it and move on.  Good luck, I know you can do it!

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

MS.LISA
on 7/8/14 2:19 pm - Salem, OR

thank you for your response yes I need to get back on track and if u know which website that would be that would be helpful to?

Gwen M.
on 7/8/14 9:04 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The people who are successful with this seem to be those who start tracking every single thing they put into their mouth.  So I would start there.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

cindylou59
on 7/8/14 2:28 pm

One common thing I read, that concerns me is that there's not enough emphasis placed on making a complete and permanent lifestyle change. Unhealthy foods are still recommended by nutritionist ( for example: Crystal Light, and in fact ANY foods with aspartame or any artificial sweetener).

Portion control is vital; however food choices is the most important aspect of the change.

Personally, I now do much more meal planning.

It is an incredible challenge.

The surgery is no magic bullet. It is a tool. Reassess your goals. Start making small changes.I slowly began eliminating unhealthy foods and eating only healthy foods.

You can do it!

Kelley D.
on 7/17/14 7:30 am

I hear ya! I am 3+ years out and just stepped on the scale for the first time in a while and my crappy eating habits have bit me in the butt. I am starting all over again with the low low carbing and high protein for a while and shed this gain. We get relaxed and start letting the unhealthy foods back into our lifestyle. It's almost harder to change this go round but we can!! I need to re-lose 20-25lbs

Height: 5'8"  Start weight:316 My goal: 190 Surgeons goal:175. reached my goal... 3years out, had some bounce back time to get back on track!

KathyA999
on 7/17/14 8:14 am

I will be four years out next month.  I've drifted up about 10 lbs from my "happy place," currently at 147.  I would recommend looking into the paleo food plan, it's pretty close to how most successful WLS patients eat.  And there are lots and lots of recipes online, and cookbooks, but the truth is, it's basically just protein-and-veg.  If you have a problem adhering to paleo to the letter, you certainly could modify it - my normal menu these days is a kind-of "paleo with cheese".  A good online (free) program is Whole 30.

My capacity is quite a bit more than it was even a year ago.  I'd say I'm eating small/normal, volume wise.  I've also found, as many have, that the restriction works best when I focus on dense protein and vegetables.  I can eat a metric ****ton of junk food, carby snacks, desserts and the like.  No idea why that is; it just is.

Good luck!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views