Pre op questions & suggestions

GoBlueGirl1998
on 7/21/14 12:11 am - MI

I’m about 2.5 – 3 months pre-op. I have been reading a ton on OH & going to the support group offered thru my hospital. I have been trying to take as much in as I can and make some small changes. I have given up my coke zero with my lunch, paid more attention to chewing and smaller bites, given up my daily trip to the work candy bowl, trying out different yogurts that are higher in protein & lower in carbs. I have always drank a ton of water thru out the day, but now I have started measuring to make sure that I’m indeed getting 64 ounces a day. What are other things that people did pre surgery that helped post-surgery? I don’t care how small. Let me know what worked for you.

On one had I’m trying to make small changes but on the other hand I will sometimes have the mentality that I’ll eat something just because I know I won’t be able to have it. I’m trying to work on this! Did anyone else feel like that pre-op? For instance a few weeks ago I had a cupcake for my birthday. I didn’t have it because I wanted it……….I had it because I knew I wouldn’t be able to have any post op! I have caught myself more than a few times and stopped because I recognized it! I’m sure I’ll continue to battle this up until surgery time!

Gwen M.
on 7/21/14 12:31 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The main thing I did at that point was I swapped out meals I didn't eat with people (breakfast and lunch most days) for a shake. It was great for me, really caused me to focus more on the quality of the food I did eat and have me some practice with self discipline. Something I was lacking. 

I also spent lots of time thinking about what my food philosophy was going to be for the future, my thoughts on weight loss eating vs maintenance, that sort of stuff. 

I looked at looks of restaurant menus and played the "what will I be able to eat here in the future" which was oddly enjoyable for me. 

I found an amazing therapist and started seeing her every week. Mental health is so important and often overlooked, I decided that if I'm going to do this whole self improvement thing, I needed a multi-pronged attack that wouldn't neglect my mental health. 

And I found a massage therapist for monthly massages because, dammit, I'm worth it. 

Then, of course, lots and lots of research - especially into vitamins so I was prepared. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GoBlueGirl1998
on 7/21/14 12:40 am - MI

Great idea on swapping out breakfast & lunch with shakes. I think I'll start with breakfast! Um, who doesn't love a massage! I love that idea too.

I'm seeing a psychologist now and he has been helpful, he is making me think about and realize eating habits that I didn't think we're a problem! I know this a lifestyle change and I'm ready for this journey and challenege to really begin.

TheNewT
on 7/21/14 1:00 am
VSG on 08/04/14

I am on the 2 week pre-op for my VSG. Last week I worked on trading a meal for a shake. I also cut back on my eating out. I worked on not being a part of the "clean plate club". It was amazing how hard it was for me to throw away food.

slyons59
on 7/21/14 1:13 am

If you go to a restaurant that has hefty portion sizes ask for a box right away and put half in to save for a different meal. That helped me get used to eating smaller portions pre-op. I also had the problem of eating some foods just because i knew i wouldnt be able to have them post-op. I guess the main thing is to remember that even if you slip up, get yourself back on track. Further out post-op you will be able to have small portions of those things again so just be patient. The restrictions are only temporary. Also make sure you have what you want in moderation. dont completely deprive yourself or you will be more likely to binge on the bad stuff. Good luck!

jobe05
on 7/21/14 1:15 am

I to am Pre-Op.  My surgery Date is set for 8/25/14.

At my last Nut visit, she suggested that I star****ching portion size, but more importantly, cut out the bad stuff now.  I am a huge coffee drinker.  I have cut down to 2 cup a day and thats 50/50 decaf, soon there will be no coffee.  We have cut out all things "White".  I have started chewing more and taking more time to eat.  All baby steps toward what will be reality very soon.  I was told that the 2 week liver shrinking Diet will be soft, 4 oz serving size meals.  they ask that during that time I start treating those meals like the meals I will be eating post op.  I have to say, even though so far I haven't lost any weight, I do feel better, I do eat less, I am eating better, I do stay fuller longer, my stomach is protesting by gurgling all the time now........  I just smile and say..... "To Bad.....  Shut up!"!

Colleen O.
on 7/21/14 1:27 am
VSG on 04/09/14

I started 3+ months before surgery.  My suggestions would be:

• Start weighing and measuring everything you put in your mouth
  • Start tracking everything you put in your mouth.  Even when you have something only because you know you won't have it again for some time after surgery - log it.  I use MyFitnessPal which works really well for me.
  • Start eating your protein first, then veggies, then anything else.  Get in the habit now.
  • Get in the habit of not drinking with meals.  I didn't do this pre-op and I still struggle with it.  I wish I had started it in January.
  • If you are a person that goes out to eat a lot, take a second look at the menu to see how you might order after surgery.  I always feel better when I'm prepared for ordering when out.  Doesn't mean to have to do it now - just get an idea.

These are just my suggestions as a person who is only a little over 3 months out of surgery.  It seems to me that every good habit you form now will make life a little easier after surgery

HW: 387 (12/13)  ConsultW: 383 (12/13)  SW: 321 (4/9/14)  CW: 234.6 (10/19/14)

happyteacher
on 7/21/14 1:34 am, edited 7/21/14 1:34 am

You are already being very mindful about the process, and that is a really, really good sign!  I would add to your list:

1. Start tracking all of your food using something like myfitnesspal.com.  Even if you are not looking to lower calories, this is a habit that goes a long, long way in getting you to goal. 

2. Start exercising. It may be tough given you are at a high weight... but even walking.  Something, anything to start getting the exercise going. Make small goals and add in incrementally more difficult (but very doable) steps in the process.

3. Pay attention to your patterns. What times of the day do you typically eat, and how much? Is it fairly consistent? My NUT ended up using this information to develop an eating schedule for the preop diet and post op... especially important post op because I had no apptetite and lost he normal hunger reminder that it was time to eat.

4. Pay attention to how you feel after eating certian foods.  Does a carb heavy meal make you feel groggy? Do you feel kind of crappy and notice when you eat you feel better (physically, not emotionally). 

5. Pay attention to why you are eating.  Are you stressed, bored, hungry? Identifying triggers for eating and coming up with a plan is a critical part of the process. 

Stay mindful!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/21/14 6:19 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

^^^^ What HappyTeacher said

Tracking your food now is a great idea, even if you aren't always eating the best choices in the world.  It gets you ready to track everything post surgery which I find INVALUABLE to weight loss.  Starting any form of exercise now is also a great idea, no matter how small it is.   I wish I had done more of this, but I was in constant knee pain that limited my movements.

It's very common to have "food funerals" before surgery.  Do it now to get it out of your system.  There are some things I didn't eat before I had surgery, but I don't find that I regret it.  Losing weight is the best feeling and motivation in the world for me.  Those foods will always be there.  And more importantly, I've probably eaten all of them in such massive quantities in the past that I've had my share to last a lifetime.

Good for you for being so proactive  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

GoBlueGirl1998
on 7/21/14 5:12 am - MI

Thank you all for your replies! There are a lot of great suggestions andn now time to start making more changes!!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views