I'm Pre op but will my slider foods now be my slider food after?

TanyaR
on 7/22/14 1:14 am, edited 7/22/14 1:54 am

I'm Pre op but will my slider foods now be my slider food after I have my sleeve. I've been watching what I eat for a long time now and using portion control religiously and luckily my stomach has kind of caught up with me. I'm not ravenously hungry after I eat a smaller meal and don't require mammoth portions to satisfy me. Well this has been a bad week! I messed up, I ate chips and pizza lots of chips and lots of pizza. I didn't even realize it but I finished an entire family size bag if lays in one sitting I even reached for more before I realized that I ate them all and I was not full! Then we had a pizza party for my cousin and my sister kept insisting I take a box of pizza because it rained and no one really came so they were left with 3 boxes of pizza I said no no no, and she still put it in my car. I should have thrown the thing away but when everyone went to sleep I decided "I was hungry" what a lie. I sat there and ate 6 slices of pizza!!!!! I was so embarrassed and mortified that when my boyfriend asked where the pizza was I said that the pizza had a bug on it and I threw it away. So I figured I had just ruined my whole portion control plan and that I would be starving after I had my portioned meal. Well no not really yes the first meal I was like well I could fit a bit more but by my 3rd meal I didn't. It also wasn't junky food. So I'm guessing those 2 foods dont sit in my stomach at all! Even pizza which is all bread :o.... A year ago I would have said I messed up its over and started eating bad again. Not this year I made a mistake oh well now I just gotta keep going. Knowing that I will have a sleeve soon just motivates me to keep going. 

Shagdoll
on 7/22/14 1:27 am

I'm a little confused ... you have your sleeve but you are pre-op?  Maybe you mean you have your sleeve surgery scheduled soon?  I believe so because there is no way you can eat 6 pizza slices post-op.

I know a lot of us are "foodies" who love to eat or are emotionally attached to it but your recent actions with food really concern me.  A family size bag of Lay's chips in 1 sitting and then another time was the 6 slices of pizza?  You are undoing the good eating habits you were doing so well with.  I know we can slip, especially right before surgery.  Maybe it's the whole "food funeral" thing but please, if you choose to have WLS then you really need to get your head in the game now because it's not going to get any easier later on.  Yes your sleeve will help with portion control but like you mentioned, those slider type foods like pizza and chips can and will contribute to weight gain as early as 3-6 months after surgery.  I have struggled with regain at 3 years out and I don't think I've been able to eat 2 thin medium sized slices of pizza this far out of surgery but the grazing and the sliders will get us in trouble.

My head was in the game before surgery because I managed to lose 18 pounds in 3 months before surgery so it's really critical to have the correct mindset going into any weight loss surgery.  The time is now to start adapting the healthier and smaller portions.  It will only help you later on.  Getting back on track now will help make the most of your WL journey.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

TanyaR
on 7/22/14 1:39 am

No I don't have a sleeve I am pre op and jus****ching what I eat. I have been good and I don't see what happened this week as a failure. Because I learned from my actions and now know to keep a great distance from chips and pizza since I can just keep going.

skeller
on 7/22/14 1:34 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 05/01/14 with

Your post is confusing--the title says you're pre-op, but you say in the post that you "have my sleeve". So are you pre- or post-op? If post-op, how far?

If you are post-op, I am not sure why you were able to eat 6 slices of pizza, but you and I both know that pizza is not on a WLS patient's eating plan. In order for our sleeves to help us lose weight, we are supposed to eat dense, lean protein such as grilled or poached chicken, fish, turkey, or beef. Not pizza.

You know what you need to do. If you find that you cannot make healthy choices, then I strongly urge you to seek the help of a therapist to find out why that is the case.

Wishing you the best!

DOB 1958, HT 5'4" . . . HW 310, SW 281, CW 184.3

M1 -25, M2 -7, M3 -11.9, M4 -7.6, M5 -11.8, M6 -9.6, M7 -1.7, M8 -10, M9 -5, M10 -5

TanyaR
on 7/22/14 1:47 am

I don't feel as if I need therapy because I don't really think I have an emotional attachment to food.. I could be wrong. My problem is I'm a volume eater I love to feel full it could be from all veggies but as long as I'm full I'm okay. I also now see that mindless eating could be a problem for me the bag of chips was just there and before I knew it I had eaten it, same with the pizza went for one and kept eating while I was reading. Ugh I'm ashamed but I've been doing good this week so phew and luckily I didn't gain but I didn't lose either.

hollykim
on 7/22/14 2:08 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 22, 2014 at 8:47 AM Pacific Time, TanyaR wrote:

I don't feel as if I need therapy because I don't really think I have an emotional attachment to food.. I could be wrong. My problem is I'm a volume eater I love to feel full it could be from all veggies but as long as I'm full I'm okay. I also now see that mindless eating could be a problem for me the bag of chips was just there and before I knew it I had eaten it, same with the pizza went for one and kept eating while I was reading. Ugh I'm ashamed but I've been doing good this week so phew and luckily I didn't gain but I didn't lose either.

you may not feel that you have an emotional attachment to food,but sneaking and eating after everyone else is asleep,could be the sign of problems. 

GL

TanyaR
on 7/22/14 2:11 am

Yeah I just started thinking and thinking and maybe I love food and that may require therapy. But I don't use food as a coping mechanism if I'm stressed, mad or sad I don't eat for days cause I throw up. That is why I've always thought I didn't need therapy cause I don't eat my feelings...but yeah I should talk to someone. 

greensleeved
on 7/22/14 8:31 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

I have to agree with this post. Shame, hiding your food consumption and eating such volume when you aren't hungry are classic eating disorder symptoms. You might want to try to find an eating disorder therapist in your town ( I did and it is SO much more helpful to me than regular therapy), or try Overeaters Anonymous. You may be at significant risk for regain if you don't address WHY you are eating so much. Why do you NEED to feel so full? A lot of people don't realize they have emotional attachments to food until they start this process.  Good luck!

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

greensleeved
on 7/22/14 8:37 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

It might also help you to research what slider foods really are. Up until a few days ago I thought they were the same thing as trigger food, or foods that are not nutritionally good and would make you "backslide" into your old habits. I just learned that sliders are foods that pass too quickly, or slide, through your digestive system. If you search "pyloric valve" here on OH you will find some great info. Even the order in which you eat your meal matters. It's fascinating! Knowledge is power!

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

Gwen M.
on 7/22/14 4:40 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Most people think they don't need therapy.  But you have a lot of emotions going on here and those are things a therapist can help you sort out.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 56 views