Benefits of monitoring blood sugar

happyteacher
on 7/22/14 2:08 am

When I first was sleeved I was dealing with low blood sugar, and occasinally tested.  I now seem to be working back into prediabetic mode and beginning two days ago decided to test frequently to see clear patterns of how different foods impact my blood sugar level.  I really wish I would have done this as a newbie.  I have already found two patterns that goes against what I thought was happening.  Also, I suspected my blood sugar was starting to go high here and there and it is confirming this.

What I found already is that when I test before I go to bed my morning fasting level is now higher than that number.  A total turn around from what happened when I was newly sleeved. I still have to try eating before bed (my normal routine due to the low blood sugar from being newly sleeved) and see what that impact is. I was shocked to see my levels were up without eating or drinking anything. 

I also found that when I now exercise in the morning after my usual cups of coffee with cream and taking my vitamin supplement, but not eating anything... my blood sugar actually increases immediatly after the workout.  This is not typical, but is explained by the liver releasing glucose for the workout and my body not responding to the insulin correctly. Damn. I still have to run that by the doc to see if that is what is actually happening so please read that only as an anecdotal observation. 

Finally, normally when you eat your blood sugar goes up.  I have now documented a few instances when I eat protein with carbs under 10 grams, my blood sugar actually drops. Wtf? 

Oh, and as I suspected... I had eaten some veggie straws, a little popcorn (about 1 cup) and a few bites of chocolate over a period of about an hour.  My blood sugar clocked in at 195 or so.  I had another incident of eating a normal meal and going up to 179. By actually monitoring I can now confirm with the doc in an upcoming physical that I am having issues... nothing severe yet, but enough to start trying to figure out how to stop the progression.

Anyway, you don't need a prescription to get a blood glucose monitor.  Walmart sells their version (Relion or something similar) where the montior is about $15, cheap test strips, and the lancets are also reasonable. Most test stips for other systems are far more expensive so if you go looking compare total costs- not just the cost of the monitor itself. I wish I would have tested more early out to better understand how different foods impact me and not just going off of "how I feel". 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

mickeymantle
on 7/22/14 2:24 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

your blood sugar is higher in the morning because your liver will dump glucose into your blood in your blood sugar goes down

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

civilmomma
on 7/22/14 4:08 am
VSG on 03/07/14

My husband is a Type 2 with high fasting levels.  It is from an overnight sugar dump paired with insulin resistance.  Not all Type 2's have that issue, some do.  He's been on a variety of meds with mixed results in managing the morning highs.

Glad you are paying attention to it!  Good luck!

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

(deactivated member)
on 7/22/14 4:30 am

It is good that you are paying attention to this issue. You must remember that high blood sugar (dare I say Diabetes type 2) also has a genetic component. I'm like that with cholesterol. I have to be rail thin and absolutely stellar with my eating to keep my cholesterol levels in a healthy range. I am most likely going to have to be put back on a statin after my annual physical on August 19. Doc gave me 6 months to get it together and I know I haven't so I'll have to reap the consequences of my behaviors. In my case, yes I can control my cholesterol levels, but for someone with my food issues it is proving to be very difficult.

There may be very little you can actually do to battle your genetics. I'll be curious to hear what your doc has to say about your findings.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 30 views