My mind is playing tricks on me.....

slyons59
on 7/22/14 7:23 am

So, I am almost one week post-op and have been craving food like crazy. I feel pretty normal now that the pain has gotten better and I've started healing, which is good, but also I feel like I should be falling back into my old routine. When my family is eating, my mind says that I should be eating too. I'm finding it a little difficult to adjust to this early post-op diet when the rest of my family is eating like normal. I miss the taste of the foods that I ate pre-op. I especially miss eating solid foods, which I know the liquid stages are temporary but it's still hard. Feeling down about that but feeling positive about weight loss and recovery so far. Hopefully my mind gets used to my new tiny tummy soon so that I can stop feeling so left out while everyone around me is eating. Sorry for the rant.

-Flo-
on 7/22/14 7:49 am
DS on 04/11/16

The liquid stage is rough! It will get a lot better when you are on solids. Good luck!

greensleeved
on 7/22/14 8:16 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

I had VSG on July 10th so I am in the liquid phase too. It is TOUGH! Today I licked a cheese and sour cream flavored potato chip. I know that's just my food addiction talking, but today was the only day I just couldn't handle it. I told my husband no more junk in the house. If we have to have chips around, they need to be low carb tortilla chips and guac, or something similar. 

I try to drink my shakes at meal times so I at least feel like part of the family, and my long term goal is to get my family to eat more like me (high sugar and carbs aren't good for anyone) while realizing that sometimes I just can't have what they are having and that's okay. I trust what everyone on here says - that the liquid stage is hard and it gets better when we can have solids. I can do anything for at least a little while. It also helps me to look at recipes of healthy foods we can have at later stages. They look yummy and make me thing, "Okay, this won't be so bad."  Hang in there. It will get better!

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

wendyss
on 7/22/14 12:30 pm

Hang in there! It does get better, I am 5 days away from solid food and can't wait to have a salad or veggies and chew!   I think the mental part was harder for me than the physical part. I am now amazed that I actually made it, because I know that I will get through this last 5. I think I was more scared of ruining something than anything  else. 

VSG  2014  with Dr Gilberto Ungson (after failed lap band) 

TeressaJ
on 7/22/14 1:25 pm

You seem to be describing me! My surgeon still won't let me have anything but clear liquids and I'm 4 weeks post op! She got mad because I told her I drank protein shakes. I know we must listen to our doctors but I've gone ahead with the protein shakes because I felt weak and no energy otherwise. Lately I've been tasting, micro bites, of other things like cream soups with no problems. I miss chewing so much! Hopefully I'm getting close to being allowed other foods. This has really been a test of strength and will power for me!

Amizon2000
on 7/22/14 2:39 pm - NorCal, CA
VSG on 07/15/14

I so feel your pain, I too am exactly 1 week post-op as well.  Hang in there, we can do this.

VSG-15 Jul 14 6ft2/F  HW- 328 Pre-Op- 317 SW - 294 (CW - 260) GW- 187   

M1 - 12.2  M2- 11 M3- 10.8  M4-

M1-xx x, M2-xxx

Most Active