Still Deciding - Lots of Questions

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/14 12:11 am

Hi All!  I'm new to the site and the forums, but I've been reading a lot over the past couple of months.  I'm considering the VSG, but I have a few questions which I'm sure you've all answered a million times - sorry to have you reha**** all.

My husband has had a LAPband for about 4-5 years.  Because of his experience, I am a bit hesitant about WLS, and would like to know more about people's experiences with VSG.  Specifically:

1) Are you able to eat any type of food?  (I know that my husband cannot eat fibrous things; they just don't pass the band well.)

2) How do you deal with travel?  I travel internationally for work; typically, I'm a guest in someone's home for meals and the tendency is to try to overfeed me.  How do you deal with similar situations?

3) If you live in a hot climate, are you able to drink enough water to prevent dehydration?

4) How long were you in the hospital?  How long until you went back to work after the surgery?

I think that's it for now.  Thanks so much for your help!

Amber G.
on 7/21/14 1:13 am
VSG on 04/02/14

Hi!

1) I am pretty much able to eat most foods now (3 1/2 months out) but have not eaten a lot of raw veggies. The word is at around 6 months out, you can try to start adding them in more.

2) I went on a vaca to families this weekend and what I did was take a little of everything and just ate real slow over conversation. They did not seem to notice at all.

3) I live in Las Vegas, where is it very hot. Honestly, I think I am able to get more liquids (struggled with liquids from very beginning) in now since it is hot and my body craves it more, rather then me trying to gulp away and not really be that thirsty.

4) I was in the hospital for only one night. I went back to work after 1 week, but I do work from home. I think if you work a desk type job, I week could work. If you can take a little more, I say go for if its available.

SATXVSG
on 7/21/14 1:14 am, edited 7/21/14 1:19 am - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

I am three months out and I can pretty much eat anything but stay away from fibrous foods for now.  Later, they should not be too much of a problem if you chew thoroughly.

I live in San Antonio and I have no problem getting in 64-80 oz of water.  Sometimes it goes down easier than others.  After a workout, I make sure to drink 24-32 oz of zero calorie powerade.

Cannot help you with hosts trying to overfeed you, that will take some explaining I am sure as they might be offended at the small portions you eat.   Be sure to keep mentioning how good it is.

My surgeon required 2 nights in the hospital which seems to be the norm.  You will see some on here with outpatient or 1 night stories.

I had my surgery April 22nd and was back to work on May 5.  My respitory therapist in the hospital told me she was only out 1 week.

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

civilmomma
on 7/21/14 2:17 am, edited 7/21/14 2:17 am
VSG on 03/07/14

I CAN eat anything, but I Shouldn't.  You should try to limit carbs and focus on leans dense protein - but< YES, I can get anything down if I wanted to. 

I was in the hospital for 2 nights, back at my desk job at 10 days post op.  Was caring for my 2&3 year olds before/after daycare at 4 days post op w/o a problem.

As far as dealing with food pushers - explain to them that you have a special diet and can't eat much, but that you enjoy what they have made.  If there is any way to notify the host family before you arrive that you eat small portions, but still enjoy the flavor/variety that might help them.

As far as dehydration - if you follow your water goals, are smart about how your body is dealing with the heat, and sip sip sip - you should be fine. 

Lap Band is really looked at as not a good option in the clinic I used...you can't compare band to VSG - 2 totally different things. VSG offers you so much more in the way of life-long benefits with low risk of complications.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

mickeymantle
on 7/21/14 2:24 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

1 year out

I can eat anything but really fatty meat which made me sick preop also and we should not be eating anyway

I was in the hospital  for 2 nights as planned  

drinking was a challenge the first few weeks but is not a problem now

If you want to know if you should have wls have someone you trust (Hubby) take pictures of you nude and take a good look at them (looking in the mirror does not work you see what you want to see but a photo you see the real you )!!!!DO YOU LIKE WHAT YOU SEE !!!!  if not get wls

the crap bad is being phases out because so many people have problems with it

the vsg gives you a normal life, I have never got anything stuck or throw up

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

more2adore
on 7/21/14 10:51 am
VSG on 03/28/15
On July 21, 2014 at 9:24 AM Pacific Time, mickeymantle wrote:

1 year out

I can eat anything but really fatty meat which made me sick preop also and we should not be eating anyway

I was in the hospital  for 2 nights as planned  

drinking was a challenge the first few weeks but is not a problem now

If you want to know if you should have wls have someone you trust (Hubby) take pictures of you nude and take a good look at them (looking in the mirror does not work you see what you want to see but a photo you see the real you )!!!!DO YOU LIKE WHAT YOU SEE !!!!  if not get wls

the crap bad is being phases out because so many people have problems with it

the vsg gives you a normal life, I have never got anything stuck or throw up

Not sure this is the healthiest way to look at things. You can be quite large and still have healthy self-esteem and positive body image. Seeking weight loss surgery should be about your health, your mobility, and your ability to live your life. We should strive to love ourselves regardless of what size we are as we're always human beings who are deserving of love and respect regardless. Just my two cents. 

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/14 5:15 am

Well, this was my post to begin with, but somehow my account got deactivated.  Thanks for all the answers, everyone!

MercyQ
on 7/21/14 10:40 am, edited 7/21/14 11:10 am - FL

Sorry about being "deactivated" technology today is challenging! I hope you can see this.

Each surgery experience is different and brings with it different challenges. 

I did TONS of research and settled for the VSG (personal decision).

With any WLS there are going to be "challenges", there are no free rides, none, (tough love here), you have to come to your own decision. I abhor RNY, the band? foreign equipment in my body. I could not rap my head around it. Reducing the size of my (uncontrollable stomach), doable.

There are some foods, mainly Rice, that I cant handle in quantity, everyone is different. Proteins are denser, so it will take time to figure out what you can handle. 

We need to STOP thinking about food, that is the DISEASE. We need to think about getting healthy. It is a sacrifice, no question about it.

I have no regrets, yes, there are limitations, but that is part of the disease. 

Travel is no problem, very quickly we learn what we can tolerate, eat less, etc. again, don't fret.

Water? Liquids? They go down SO easy! That is the least of my problems, and I live in Florida! just eat your solids, then your liquid or vise versa.

In the hospital over night, no joke, I could have gone to work after less than a week, 2 days, really, but ended up going to Hawaii for 10 days, we took 6 weeks off instead.

Take it one step at a time, each person is different. I can only tolerate rice minimally 7 years out, a friend, she can eat rise with out a huge problem.

Keep asking questions, but don't let uncertainty deter you from getting healthy.

MercyQ. This is the Beginning of the Rest of my Life!!

happyteacher
on 7/21/14 11:35 am

1) Are you able to eat any type of food?  (I know that my husband cannot eat fibrous things; they just don't pass the band well.) Yes.  I rarely drink soda, but I am able to.. just stay away from it per recomendations. 

2) How do you deal with travel?  I travel internationally for work; typically, I'm a guest in someone's home for meals and the tendency is to try to overfeed me.  How do you deal with similar situations? I don't travel much, but it is actually easier to travel. Prior to surgery I was always thinking about when I would eat next, now I skip meals without even realizing it. I eat a lot of ethnic foods- you can find sleeve friendly options in all of them.  Overfeeding- just explain your situation. Most will support. If you don't want to tell all, just go with working a diet high protein low carb. 

3) If you live in a hot climate, are you able to drink enough water to prevent dehydration? I can drink 200 ounces a day no problem. 

4) How long were you in the hospital?  How long until you went back to work after the surgery? 24 hours. Back to work 14 days after surgery. No heavy lifting for a while.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

weese
on 7/21/14 12:59 pm
VSG on 02/26/14

I also stay away from soda, rice, pasta but the thing is that the sleeve has enabled me to make healthy choices because I am not starving.  I now have the ability to make those healthy choices instead of just grabbing what comes easy just because I was hungry.  When I was 293 and tried to diet I just felt like I was starving all the time because my body was trying to maintain all that weight I had put on.  Now with my sleeve tool it lets me slow down and pick the healthy option and I actually enjoy doing that.  I could have those bad things but when I think of my protein needs for the day I just don't have room for those things in my diet that wont keep me strong and healthy. 

Dense foods fill me up faster and some foods just don't taste good anymore.  I do crave an occasional salty potato chip and I have one or two now or then but I nibble on them very slowly. I did have a bite of a cupcake on my bosses birthday and two oz. of cake on my husbands birthday.  I got it out of my system and right back on track.  I have stayed away from any chocolate candy because in the past that has been a trigger to overeating but I do have sugar free pudding, strawberries with splenda, sugar free fudge pop and things like that.  I love to cook and thought those days were over but with all the options out there I just cook differently.  it has been fun trying new things and experimenting with protein packed recipes that I would have never thought about making before. Have you checked out the world according to egg face?  She has awesome ideas.  Good luck!

Lisa

Surgery 2/26/14 with Dr. Stephen Marshall in Peoria, Il

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 53 views