Candida (yeast) cleanse

(deactivated member)
on 7/22/14 1:03 pm - Canada

Last week my symptoms started returning (you can read my story on my profile if you are interested).  I have been doing so well getting stronger and more active.  I've had lots of energy and then wham it seemed to all hit at once.  The nausea, stomach and back pain, low blood pressure and a few days later the thrush returned.

This time I know better!  

After one week, a couple of months ago, of cutting all starch and sugar from my diet my thrush that I had for 5 months was gone.  All my symptoms got better and eventually left. Once I saw the thrush coming back I knew what I had to do.  Monday I stopped all carby food including fruits and veggies.  I'm eating all protein except for my morning and evening greek yogurt and hemp seed.  It's day two and I'm having major 'die-off' symptoms already.  I feel like crap but at least I know it's working and that I can fix this!

I, by no means eat a high carb diet...maybe higher then those that are really strict but I'm always under 80g...usually a lot lower.  It didn't hamper me getting to (almost) goal but I think that I have always had trouble maintaining the good bacteria in my body, since surgery it seems like it's something I have to be very cautious of.

I believe that a lot, maybe all, of my complications after surgery came from my stomachs reaction to having it's good bacteria unbalanced in an extreme way.  The fact that I had thrush within a week of my surgery and it could not be cured with traditional medicines did not really seem to phase the doctors as they thought it was due to my inability to drink and eat. It was a vicious circle as I was too sick to eat or drink for a long time and my bodies balance couldn't be restored until I could. Probiotics were the first hint that this was my problem.  I started taking them to help with the thrush and looking back that is when I seemed to start getting a tiny bit better.  I was able to ingest liquids and keep them down.  Food followed. It was a slow process that I believe was made slower as I relied on crackers (evil white flour death traps!) in the beginning to just get something in my stomach (think about the worst morning sickness ever).

Looking back now as I reach my 7 month anniversary it's easy to see many things that I couldn't back then.  I was so sick but the only test that showed positive is high lipase.  This is an indicator of an unbalance in the digestive tract usually associated with pancreatitis.  Nobody thought that yeast was the problem, least of all me.  It was a long hard process but I stuck it out and finally found a way to help myself get better :)

I thought I would post my experience in case there is someone else that is struggling with strange symptoms.  I found this site very helpful http://www.thecandidadiet.com/.  You don't have to buy the book, she has enough info on the site to give you a good idea of what you are dealing with or if it's a possible problem for you.

God's blessings, Michelle 

Calaska
on 7/22/14 3:36 pm - AK
VSG on 08/18/14

Do you think that excess yeast is caused by a Ph imbalance in the body?  Have you heard of diets that try to balance the acid and alkalinity in your system?  Do you think your problem was unusual?  I so want to learn from others in case it happens to me!

~Jan

58 yo female, 5'9" HW: 297 SW: 285  Surgery W: 252. CW: 224.8 GW: 160        

If there is no struggle, there is no progress. ~ Frederick Douglass

(deactivated member)
on 7/23/14 11:18 am - Canada

I have not heard that Jan so don't know if that's a factor.  I do think my type of complications are rare though I have met a few others that have a very similar issue.  I really believe that most will suffer no complications or at the very least common complications that are easily diagnosed.  I'm sure you'll be fine :)

Nmmsg
on 7/22/14 8:50 pm
VSG on 07/09/13

My husband is an old RNY patient and cancer patient.  He has a compromised immune system from his radiation treatments.  When he forgets or runs out of his probiotics, his system gets unbalanced pretty quickly.  That is just our experience.  He eats a significant amount of carbs since he had throat cancer and it is still hard to swallow a lot of foods.  

I am glad you found your own solution- so did we with this.

Nancy

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

(deactivated member)
on 7/23/14 11:22 am - Canada

Thank you for sharing Nancy.  I had issues like this before surgery, since I was a kid but not to this extent that I would have even related the two.  I went out and bought a good probiotic today...or at least an expensive one.  I'm curious what type your husband uses in case this one doesn't work.  Though I have to say I've been feeling like I am dying all day and when I took the probiotic I did feel better this afternoon.  Die-off is a ***** :|

chriswife19
on 7/22/14 9:00 pm
VSG on 05/28/14

Very glad you figured this out.  I feel that western medical doctors don't seem to accept candida overgrowth as a diagnosis like a chiropractor or naturopath will.  I was treated for it by a naturopath once and hope that it doesn't return ever again now that I've been sleeved but if it does I do appreciate you sharing your experience so I can learn from it.

Highest weight - 260  Surgery weight - 197.5  Current Weight - 152

(deactivated member)
on 7/23/14 11:24 am - Canada

Thank you...it's not a fun process but it will be worth it.

Nmmsg
on 7/23/14 3:31 pm
VSG on 07/09/13

He uses the GNC brand which is expensive.  It has a 75 on the cover and is in a brown box. Good luck!

Nancy

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

happyteacher
on 7/22/14 10:11 pm

Can you recommend a probiotic and how much to take daily?  If I usually eat a yogurt a day is this enough generally speaking? I have always suspected yeast issues due to being VERY prone to yeast infections, but have never attempted to do much about it. Regarding the Ph comment below... how do you check/adjust the diet aside from adding more base like milk or carrots if one is runnig on the acidic side?

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 7/23/14 11:28 am - Canada

I take Tu Zen for my IBS but today I bought a product called Natural Life.  The one recommended on the site I mentioned above is supposed to be good, another person recommended it, but I can't get it here. I suggest you read the information on the site.  I found it very good and it got me started.  It's important to know what you are trying to accomplish before you embark on this as it's not easy.

I would say that most WLS patients shouldn't have this problem because they eat low carb (starches)/ low sugar diets to start with.  I think those of us that push the carb limits are more likely to experience this.  Like anything it's good to do your research...good luck!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 36 views