Which protein shake

Augustachick
on 7/23/14 1:50 am - GA

I've gotten myself confused over this whole protein shake thing.  My doctor actually said Whey protein shakes but I ended up with the GNC Lean 25 (orange cream!!).  So, now that i'm out and have to get more.  Is there a huge difference between the "normal" protein shakes and the whey?  The lean 25 has 25 grams of protein and only 17 grams carb.   I like the Lean 25 b/c 1 scoop can be a "snack" and 2 a meal replacement.

Where do ya'll buy your stuff?  I like the powders so I can pack and take with me.   What flavors are good, etc

Nottooskinnyplease
on 7/23/14 2:12 am

I am no expert on this stuff.  My understanding is that whey is a milk based protein supplement and that there are different types of milk based protein supplements and different types or qualities of whey.  As far as I know the other common type of protein is soy protein.  There may be others that I am not aware of.  There are pros and cons of each type of protein and you can find a ton of articles if you google it.  I choose whey protein because my understanding is that soy contains chemicals that mimic estrogen. 

Gwen M.
on 7/23/14 2:43 am
VSG on 03/13/14

17 grams of carbs seems super high for a protein shake. I aim for less than 5. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Stacy_WLS
on 7/23/14 3:51 am

If you like coffee then I highly recommend Chike.  I buy it through Amazon. 

If you are good with milk based products, then I would recommend getting a protein that is whey protein isolate  -- this will be in the ingredients section.  It is more premium and is better for us -- I can't remember why, but when I was making my decisions on protein shakes I did the research and decided on this.  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

jaifra78
on 7/23/14 3:54 am, edited 7/23/14 3:55 am
RNY on 04/16/14

17 grams of carbs is way to high for a protein shake it may be doing more harm to your weight loss than good. I would suggest syntrax nectar or syntrax matrix or unjury. Unjury you can only get from their website but the syntrax you can get from vitacost or vitamin shoppe they are the cheapest places to order from. if you want samples here is a website you can order them from so you can try them before you buy a big tub of something. :) 

http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/protein-powders/protein -powder-samples-1-serving.html

Tracy D.
on 7/23/14 4:18 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You want to look at the ingredient list.  The best protein shakes for us at this stage are ones with 100% whey protein isolate.  Not a concentrate or a blend.  That's important because whey protein isolate is the most easily digestible/absorbed for our tiny tummies.  And you need every single gram you can get!  Other forms will be cheaper but you aren't getting as high of quality and you aren't actually absorbing all the protein that's stated on the side.  

And 17 grams of carbs is HIGH!!  Most good whey protein isolate powders will have 7 grams of carb or less for a serving.   That's what you want to be shooting for.   Also, make sure there isn't corn syrup, fructose or anything else hiding as "sugar" in those shakes.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

eringudge
on 7/23/14 4:31 am
RNY on 07/28/14

Others have chimed in, but I will add that the Syntrax Nectar is DELICIOUS! 

If you go to their website, they have a special going right now for a sampler. You have to call to order, but it's a good price. 

You want ISOLATE, not concentrate. The isolate is easily digestible high quality protein. The concentrates are less expensive sometimes, but you only absorb about 75% of the protein in it, so you are wasted 25% of your money.

Syntrax Nectar Chocolate Truffle Nutrition Data:

1 full scoop

100 calories

160mg sodium

200mg potassium

23g protein

8% calcium

ZERO carbs

Augustachick
on 7/23/14 6:40 am - GA

They say a serving is 1/4 of a scoop.  Do you use a whole scoop or a 4th?? 

jaifra78
on 7/23/14 8:04 am, edited 7/23/14 8:05 am
RNY on 04/16/14

it is weird that it says that on the label I don't know why they do that but  if you only use 1/4 scoop than that is 1/4 of protein and calories so to get the  full benefit use a whole scoop mix it with 8-16 oz of water whatever tastes better. 

marstro
on 7/23/14 5:35 am

I'm using the Bariatric Fusion shakes. They have 27 grams of protein, 7 grams of carbs and 5 grams of fiber. They are really good, no nasty taste to them at all.

Most Active