Carbs are completely messing with me!

happyteacher
on 7/22/14 10:05 pm

So I have thrown up a few posts over the last few days about my checking blood sugar levels and the impact of food. Last night I had class (I was the student,not the teacher.)  I ate 2 servings of Pop brand chips, 1 low sugar detour bar, 2 knox shortbread cookies... went out with the cohort for drinks and had an angry ball (1 bottle hard cider beer with a shot of fireball), came home feeling hungry/cravings and had fibergourment crackers, an atkins bar, and a dannon yogurt.  This is a crazy amount for me and completely blew out my normal 30 carb meal 15 carb snack mindset. Weirdly after class (before crackers, atkins bar, drink, and yogurt my blood sugar was 98. Didn't check it before bed.  In all I put down 125 grams or so of carbs once class started... with a good chuck of that being crap carbs. My fasting this mornig though was 135- ouch! Anything over 100 is high for a fasting. I am only posting this because yesterday my overall calories was at 1500... my maintenance calorie daily goal is 1600.  Just a reminder to folks that even if you hit caloric goals we all have a sweet spot for carbs... some much less than my normal targets, others can go higher.  The impact on the blood sugar is critical and worth paying attention to. I haven't had hunger/cravings like last night in a long time! Spending today getting off the insulin crazy train. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

trinoc
on 7/22/14 10:36 pm - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

This is such a great point!  So many times when we've lowered our calories but our carbs stay on the upper end, we assume the hunger is because our calories are too low and we up them.  In fact, it could easily be the carbs doing what they do.  I'm glad you're checking your sugar levels.  It's giving you some valuable information as to how your body is working!

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

hollykim
on 7/23/14 1:04 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I know you have been used to eTing higher carb amounts,as you felt better when you did,even in your losing stage. 

Is it possible that your body,metabolism,insulin responses,whatever,are no longer going to tolerate higher carbs? Even good ones? 

happyteacher
on 7/23/14 2:27 am

I think there is no question that my carb needs have changed, and pretty drastically compared to the first few months post op.  I cannot even remember exactly when my last low was, and I had attributed it to just eating my carb plan.  Somewhere along the way though, that changed.  I have really noticed the difference once school let out and I am not so busy that I am not noticing little fluctuations.  I do think my carb tolerances have dropped.  Right now I am in the process of trying to figure out what they have dropped to, which complex carbs are Ok or if most of them just are not working. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Spencerella
on 7/23/14 3:42 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Very good info and relevant point about higher carb counts, even when they fall within normal calorie counts.  And the other reality is that with increased hunger comes the eventual over consumption of calories too, so it's very dangerous ground indeed.  

Not sure if this helps, but a presenter at last year's OH conference referred to new research that suggests that 80 (total) grams of daily carbs is a safe level to avoid hunger for most people  ....  I'm usually good up to 100 grams (no diff between healthy and unhealthy carbs).  I often eat up to 120 grams but there are times that I feel like I'm playing with fire at that level. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

happyteacher
on 7/23/14 6:56 am, edited 7/23/14 6:58 am

I am not sure yet what my new level will be... I know that for lunch I had crushed lentil soup and a small amount of white pita with an estimated carbs at 57 carbs and 18 of them being fiber.  That would put the meal at a little higher target than my previous 30 g net carb target... did it to see what would happen to the blood sugar. Went from 92 to 163... 30 minutes after eating. Clearly too much carb despite the lentils being considered a complex carb.  Two days ago I held very tightly to my 30 g meal 15 g snack plan with no trace of processed/white carb and my levels did Ok.  But thus far the second I put anything that is processed or a sweet my blood sugar goes up too high.  I need to track for a while longer and try different foods/combinations though before I can figure out where I land. 

Previously if I hung around 100 net carbs, or 125-150 total carbs with not too many at any one meal I had not problem with hunger.  Last night was the worst I can remember in a long time... but all of that carb was also much worse than a normal night. 

tdallison
on 7/23/14 3:51 am - TX
VSG on 08/26/13

Thanks for sharing  Good advice!

Toni Dallison

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength" Phil. 4:13

Most Active