What to bring to the hospital for my VSG?

sweetmonroe
on 7/28/14 11:58 am

Hello!

Any suggestions on what to bring with me to the hospital  ??  Thanks 

Adoptionmama
on 7/28/14 12:19 pm

Considering I just packed my bag since my surgery is in the morning, here is what is in my bag...

baggie pajama pants, loose fitting shirt, change of clothes for coming home, case for my glasses, chap stick, Gas-X strips, a pillow for support on the ride home, my iPad and charger, toothbrush and toothpaste, hair brush and hair tie.

Good luck! 

Jaime P.
on 7/28/14 12:43 pm
VSG on 07/22/14

Pretty much what adoptionmama listed. I brought an extra change of clothes, but my mom ended up wearing the t-shirt since my surgery was so late and she ended up staying the night. I ended up wearing the clothes I wore to the hospital for most of day 2 and discharge (t-shirt and comfy pants). I wore flip flops there ,but brought my moccasin slippers to wear on my walks and the ride home. They gave me awesome chap stick moisturizer cause I forgot mine. Pillow for sure. I also brought an extension cord, phone, kindle, and chargers for both. Extension cord kept my stuff nearby in case I was by myself and I was able to charge both. I wish I had brought a brush, but forgot that. I brought deodorant though so I wouldn't be stinky.. 

Instagram

32 y/o female 5'2"; HW 260; GW 140; SW 245.8; CW 233; BMI 43.6

sweetmonroe
on 7/28/14 9:43 pm

Thanks! Good luck to you!!

mollz007
on 7/28/14 1:50 pm
VSG on 02/20/14

All I brought was a change of clothes to go home in, my kindle, and my phone. Some people like to change into PJs after surgery, but I was too sore to move, lol. I had my kindle but I was honestly too tired to read. I used my phone to text a few people for updates and to listen to music in my room. Good luck!

check out my blog!

mickeymantle
on 7/28/14 4:02 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

clean underwear to wear home the hospital supplies everything else , don't bring a cell phone or tablet unless there is someone with you to watch it or it may dispensary, the hospital has phones mine even had computers in the lounge

they supply soap shampoo, tooth paste and brush , the hospital gowns work the best with an iv  and or drain

you probably not going to read a book, a magazine maybe or some puzzle books

your job when awake is sipping after your leak test and walking and breathing deep

don't forget to use the pain med button  when needed it helps the healing and a hot towel does wonders for gas pain 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Nata-Sleeve
on 7/28/14 5:29 pm

I found the little neck pillow meant for airplanes was SO helpful in the hospital. 

HW: 310, SW:??? (7/22/14), GW: 175

Bufflehead
on 7/28/14 7:36 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

The only stuff I needed for the hospital: change of undies to go home in, phone & charger, lip balm.

Everything else the hospital supplied: socks with non skid feet, hospital gowns (provide easier access to your incisions, any drain, catheter, etc. -- just put on a second gown facing backwards when you leave your room to go walking to avoid accidental flashing), toiletries.

I made sure to wear loose, comfy clothes to the hospital so I could wear the same thing going home. For me that was an empire waist dress and a comfy cotton leisure/sports bra that fastened in front. Women should keep in mind that they may have an incision right at the bra line so traditional bras, especially underwires, may be very uncomfortable.

I asked my friend who took me home to bring a pillow with her so I could use it between my tummy and the seat belt on the way home, and that helped a lot with keeping my incisions pain-free during the car ride.

sweetmonroe
on 7/28/14 9:45 pm

Thanks everyone!! I'm definitely getting my checklist ready!! 

ElizaM
on 7/28/14 10:00 pm
VSG on 07/24/14

My phone was my lifeline. But I did worry a bit when my husband wasn't around to watch my stuff. 

I brought comfy clothes for the ride home and a pillow for the ride home. I brought a list of the medications I took the day before and a folder full of paperwork (short term disability stuff). I packed chapstick like everyone said to and no need: hospital provided everything.

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Most Active