How do you handle it?!?

Laura222
on 7/31/14 9:26 am
VSG on 07/24/14

OMG! I am one week post-op today.  I think I have done soooo good so far. I never cheated once during my pre-op diet, and have stuck to my surgeons guidelines religiously (even though I am sick of the shakes). I still live at home (working on rebuilding an old house to move into) And tonight my parents are making my FAVORITE meal! Fried chicken and sweet rice OMG!!!! The smell in the house is driving me nuts! I want to go in and eat some soooo bad!

HW: 275  SW: 267.4 (1st day of pre-op diet)  Pre-op: -16.5lbs  M1:-17.8  M2:-11.9  M3:-12.5   M4:-16.5   M5:-10.5   M6:-5.1

Hislady
on 7/31/14 10:30 am - Vancouver, WA

Time to take a nice long walk, even tho it was inconsiderate of them don't let it throw you off. Remember in time you can have some again just not for awhile. You can do it, find something to keep you busy while they eat.

SassyItalian
on 7/31/14 10:52 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis

I was a few days post op at Christmas and it was a killer! I froze some of my aunts lamb and enjoyed it when I was allowed to eat meat!!! It was almost as good...almost

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Cece2014
on 7/31/14 12:02 pm

I know exactly what you mean - I was walking the neighborhood and, of  course, it was dinner time;the smells of yummy things changed as I walked along.  I found as I trying to figure out what everyone was having.  At first I was annoyed - what the heck?  Then I found I enjoyed it - remembering all the family times spent around the table groaning with food - then my thoughts turned to my decision to take care of me.  And my mantra: I can have some later, just not now.

It took two years and several deaths in my family to "get it thru my thick head" that health was really important.  So far that's been a foundation motivation.

Maybe you can ask your folks to let you know when your favorite foods are on the menu and you can make plans to be somewhere else?  Spend time with a friend or take a walk?  

You've made a huge investment in yourself, remember why you did it, concentrate on success, and how the "future you" will certainly enjoy a little of that chicken, another time.....

Christine

Low Carb Lifestyle is working!   HW: 370   CW: 295  GW: 200

mollz007
on 7/31/14 12:20 pm
VSG on 02/20/14

Oh hun I have so been there. The first few weeks post op were the hardest because I just wanted to eat solid food! I just kept reminding myself that I had major surgery and had to give myself time to heal. If I cheated I would risk damaging my stomach. Remember, one day when your tummy is all healed you will be able to eat your favorite foods in limited quantities (but your favorite foods may not be your favorite anymore, it is common for tastes to change post op.) Congrats on making it through your surgery!

check out my blog!

jobe05
on 7/31/14 12:23 pm

I don't think it's inconsiderate of them, they have a life and the world can't stop because we made our choices.  I own a Restaurant Services Company, I am in a multitude of restaurants each day (one reason I am this way).  I am a few days into my Liver Shrinking Diet and I'm just not letting it bother me.  I have made food my enemy, my nemesis that has destroyed my way of living.  When I smell food, I snub my nose to eat and think of what I'll be eating when I get home (Cod and a salad tonight).

The world is never going to stop because we can't have certain foods, or any foods at this moment, so we have to be of the mindset that we will get through this no matter what.  Go for a walk, a drive or better yet a bike ride!  Join a local gym and go during meal times at home.  There are a lot of alternatives, find one that works for you and do it.

lovingme9908
on 7/31/14 1:45 pm
VSG on 10/06/14

Love this advice! 

greensleeved
on 7/31/14 11:46 pm
VSG on 07/10/14 with

I disagree. If the people in your environment don't help you succeed it's much more likely that you will fail. Yes, they have to eat, but they might make an effort to eat things that don't trigger cravings while their loved on is still in the liquid stage.  I was one week post op when my husband brought home a pizza and I wanted to kill him. Now he could do that and it wouldn't bother me because I can have actual food. It was smelling and seeing it while on 5 weeks of liquids that did me in.

One thing that helped me was enjoying the smells. It might sound weird - but I can now enjoy the smell of something delicious just as a smell and not feel I have to eat it.

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

amyvsg6614
on 7/31/14 1:40 pm
VSG on 06/06/14

Oh I remember cooking dinner for my family one week post op and crying! The smell of spaghetti and garlic bread was amazing and the worst was sitting there watching them eat.. I told myself that I wasnt going to seclude myself during meals and miss out on the conversation just cause I couldnt eat it.. It gets better I promise! Just gotta get through the hard healing process and you will be good when you are cleared to eat! Im telling you, when you are cleared to eat, you will take like 3 baby bites and be stuffed! 

Laura222
on 8/1/14 12:53 am, edited 8/1/14 4:39 am
VSG on 07/24/14

Thank you to everyone that actually gave me advice. I in no way was trying to say that the rest of my family shouldn't eat or that they shouldn't eat the things that they enjoy, they could have fried chicken and sweet rice every night for all I care. I was simply asking what you did in similar situations to deal with the smell. I come here for words to help me not bring me down. 

HW: 275  SW: 267.4 (1st day of pre-op diet)  Pre-op: -16.5lbs  M1:-17.8  M2:-11.9  M3:-12.5   M4:-16.5   M5:-10.5   M6:-5.1

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views