Personal trainer - Day 1

Hana K.
on 7/29/14 8:01 pm - Annapolis, MD

I day I start with a personal trainer. I'm a little over 3 months post-op - was sleeved on April 21, 2014. I've only been doing cardio, for the most part - walking, treadmill, elliptical and now doing the couch-to-5K app outside since the weather is gorgeous.

The problem is that I know nothing about strength and weight training and I'm not the kind of person who can watch a YouTube video to work on it - I need a teacher, I need actual guidance - someone to tailor something for my needs, watch my form and most importantly - keep me accountable!! I'd prefer not to have any more surgery and I think the best way to avoid cosmetics/plastics is to really kick the weight training in/up.    I found a number of people online and she seemed the most reasonable and she actually got me in touch with another bariatric client of hers, which made me feel great!!    I'm nervous! Maybe that's weird but I'm nervous. The idea of failure is always sitting in the back of my mind - can I do this? Will I bail? I don't meet with her until 7 and I've been awake since 4!!    Has anyone else gone the personal training route? Pros? Cons?

Progress: August 2013 - 301 (HW); April 21 - 271 (SW); July 9 - 218.4 (CW)

Mary Gee
on 7/29/14 8:48 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I think a personal trainer is a great idea - I just joined a gym and I feel lost.  They offer three sessions with a personal trainer for $99, but I can't afford that right now.  To find one that has experience with bariatric clients is great.  Will she be meeting with you at the gym?  What's her experience/background?  My WLS program includes an exercise consultant - I'm going to contact her because I have some physical limitations I have to deal with.

Good luck.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

jobe05
on 7/29/14 11:09 pm

My wife and I as one of our "Diet" tries, got a personal trainer last year.  It cost $1000 for 3 sessions a week for 4 months.  It didn't work for us, but it was the greatest thing we ever did!  During the work outs, we would purchase some of the things we used in the gym for home.  This will carry me through when I can start working out after the surgery.  Some of the things we have are small hand weights, 2 each 2.5#, 5#, 10# and 15#.  Rubber bands (For lack of a better term), 3 different colors for 3 different resistances, and my favorite, the work out ball.  That great big orange ball that you can sit on.  My trainer asked me how many sit ups I could do and I answered maybe 2.  He made me sit on the ball each day and I could do 100 to 150 sit ups while sitting on the ball each day, it's awesome!  The other thing I will be getting is the TRX (Walmart $45)  That TRX will give you a great full body work out and can be done just a few minutes a day.

So even though the trainer didn't do us much good at the time (Because we had no Nutritional education), it's knowledge that is becoming priceless now!!

mswatts
on 7/30/14 12:54 am

Wow were almost identical I had my surgery april 17th and im down 65lbs. I've been working out with a personal trainer for a month so far and I love itttt. If not else for the familiarity of the weights she has me doing things I never would have even tried on my own I always thought that stuff was for the skinny people lol but I think its the second best decision I made besides getting the sleeve good luck.

Ready to live my life

wendyss
on 7/30/14 3:01 am

I used personal trainer a couple of years ago  for about a year in total . I did great while i had her.  I lost some inches gained muscle, I loved it!  It was really a great experience. My problem was that this was before I had my weight issue under control.  Once I stopped using the trainer I very quickly lost the muscle and gained weight back. , mush faster than the time it  took to build it!   What I got out of the experience is that I can do it when I focus on it and also that I need to find something that I really really  enjoy  so I can continue to do it indefinitely. I know that this  too has to be a lifetime commitment. 

VSG  2014  with Dr Gilberto Ungson (after failed lap band) 

Gwen M.
on 7/30/14 5:01 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Congrats!  

I'm hoping to go the personal training route once my body fat is in the high 20s (it's at 45 now), since I feel like the exercises I'm doing right now are sufficient - running, lots of yoga, tai chi and pilates.  But my gym owner also does personal training, so I'm sure that'll be awesome when I do get to it!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active