GOT A DATE! (And now I'm having 2nd thoughts, lol)

Capegin
on 7/31/14 7:10 am

Hi all!

I GOT A DATE!  I have been crossing my fingers since the beginning that it would be this summer as I'm a teacher, so it would minimize sick time.  With almost every step, things have miraculously fallen into place, and I've been able to fly through and get appointments earlier than expected, etc.  Well, the surgeon's secretary called today to say they had an opening on August 13th, and I took it.  This is what I've been waiting for for months (a lifetime maybe?). 

And now I'm scared.  I know the science behind it.  I know why it's better than my previous attempts (whi*****lude everything out there).  I know why I want to lose the weight and how much easier and healthier my life will be when I do.  Suddenly, though, I have this nagging voice in my head.  It says, "This is the easy way out. This isn't the right choice.  You're rushing into this. You're still not going to keep the weight off.  This is NUTS."  Did any of you go through this?  I know I have a great surgeon.  I have read hundreds of success stories on here.  I have unbelievable support from my family and friends.  Still, though, I can't shake this feeling.  

Anyone else?

-Ginnie

Jaime P.
on 7/31/14 7:38 am
VSG on 07/22/14

I think almost everyone gets these feelings. Just thing though - if you could do it on your own, you would have done it already. At least that's my way of looking at it. And the easy way out? Psshh.. nope. This is my 4th WLS after 3 failed lap bands and I'm only week out and already loving it more that I ever did my band, but I can guarantee it's not easy. I think if you just think about it some more, the doubts will go away. You've done your research and you've tried other ways. You know what's best for you. For me, it's this surgery. I'm just sad I didn't get this done 6 years ago instead of going with the band. Good luck and hope you get excited about the surgery instead! 

Instagram

32 y/o female 5'2"; HW 260; GW 140; SW 245.8; CW 233; BMI 43.6

SunnyGal14
on 7/31/14 7:39 am
VSG on 08/06/14

I am going through this too, but I know I am making the right choice for my health. My surgery is August 6th.  I have tried it "my way" for years to maybe lose 30 pounds only to gain it back and then some.  

From what I've read, it's normal to an extent to feel this way. It is a drastic measure, but I really feel like it will be worth it in the end and will add years to your life! Good luck!

Vsg on 8/6/14  5'8" HW 266 SW 243 CW 169 GW 155. 

ElizaM
on 7/31/14 7:52 am
VSG on 07/24/14

I had this too. In the OR prep room, I was like "OMG I still can make a break for it. If I just go in 1... 2... 3..." 

I'm not a success story, though I plan to be, but I am really good at losing weight on my own (less good at keeping it off). I lost nearly 100lbs pre-op. So I definitely had some second thoughts. And yet I went through with it anyway, because I feel I can use the restriction the sleeve supplies to help me get to my goal and beyond.

I think cold feet are normal and everyone has them. But they're usually not a good enough reason to back out.

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Miss150
on 7/31/14 8:41 am, edited 7/31/14 8:41 am

Yah, your're going to keep the weight off if you continue to work your program 100% ever-after.  That's my goal--almost 1 year into maintenance and 7#'s under goal.... Never- EVER have I been able to maintain a significant loss- (let alone maintaining at goal) for that long....hopefull and dedicated...bonnie

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

Adoptionmama
on 7/31/14 10:15 am

As someone who had surgery two days ago, I can definitely tell you that this is NOT the easy way out.  WLS is not for sissies.  However, even this early out, I know this is the best decision I have ever made for myself.  You will doubt yourself; I think that is completely normal.  Good luck and I wish you all the best!

happyteacher
on 7/31/14 10:45 am

Very normal to be nervous... don't back out! You are fortunate to have the date work so well with school!!!  If you are able to go into your classroom before surgery to complete some of your setup, do that. You will not want to do lifting afterwards so heaving cases of paper or whatever will need to be done carefully.  You will not regret this!  Look forward to seeing you on the other side!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/31/14 10:54 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I think it's funny that so many of us view WLS as some sort of moral failure. Inefficient and old-fashioned doesn't mean that something is better. I mean, my grandmother washed clothes on a washboard heating well water over a wood stove. It was hard work that took much of a day for much fewer clothes. I use a washing machine. Does that mean I'm taking "the easy way out?" --- or am I using the most efficient and intelligent way available to me now? The old-fashioned way of losing weight is nearly possible for the great number of morbidly obese. That's why less than 5% of us manage to lose a significant amount of weight and keep it off after 2 years. WLS has an 85% success rate. How is choosing the most efficient and long-term solution to a medical problem something to feel badly about? Is taking insulin for diabetes, surgery to replace worn out knees, or chemo for cancer also taking the easy way out??  I view WLS as courageous in choosing the most efficient and intelligent option available to treat your medical condition that's available to you now.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/31/14 11:53 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Yeah!  What she said.   

I took this road because I knew I'd never be able to successfully lose (and keep off) a significant amount of weight through dieting on my own.   I've been able to lose a lot of weight in the past but always gained it back and much more.

This is an opportunity to change the course of your life.  Seize the day.  Be proud that you made the best decision available to you.  You deserve this.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

SassyItalian
on 7/31/14 11:09 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis

Definitely totally normal. You know you did your research, and science shows people do not usually keep the weight off, its a fact. And having your stomach removed, having major surgery, being on fluids for weeks, recovering is by NO MEANS the "easy way out"! When I was checking in for surgery, my dad begged me not to do it, that he would pay whatever amount for me to go to a "spa" and lose the weight, but after months of research and years of battling morbid obesity, I knew this was the right choice for me. 4 years later, you can see if you agree too (photos always motivated me!!), check out my page.

I am now healthy enough to stand and do surgery myself, and that's what makes it so worth it!!

-Sassy

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Most Active