please help.. weakness

sparklynshiney
on 7/31/14 8:26 am

Hi guys. I've basically been stalking these boards for a while now... but finally have something to say.  My name is Brittaney and I'm 25. I had my VSG on July 24th.  My brother also had his VSG the same day.  He is doing fantastic. Getting tons of fluids in and running around as if he didn't have surgery a week ago.  Me on the other hand, have had issues since I woke up. I've been in much more pain and restricted on how much I could drink/eat.  My brother can eat 2 fudgesicles at a time where I can only get 3/4 down before my sleeve tells me no more! 

My main issue though is weakness.  I'm 7 days out and I can't do anything without having to lay down right after because i'm dizzy or my body just can't go anymore.  My husband follows me to the bathroom and to take a shower and everything for fear I'll pass out.  Three days ago I took a shower and he had to carry me to the sofa because I didn't have enough energy to move my body. I went for my post op appointment yesterday and they found my pulse just sitting in the office was 122-130. They sent me for bloodwork and all came back fine. My surgeon told me to start trying to get any sort of protein drinks down. Even the milky ones as long as I water them down. So the past two days I've had half of a muscle milk.  No difference.  I'm getting roughly 40 ounces a day of liquids and trying to get more.  What is going on?!? I can't live like this! I'm supposed to go back to work Monday but I seriously can't like this.  I am regretting ever getting this surgery right now.  Everyone else I know didn't have these issues.  What gives?! All I want to do is cry and turn back time and never go in that operating room. :(  The pain I had I can deal with, but this weakness is hard since my brain is fine but it's my body.  Thank you for reading all of this :(

Gwen M.
on 7/31/14 9:00 am
VSG on 03/13/14

This is just a guess, but it seems to me like you might be dehydrated with only 40 ounces of liquid a day.  Is there any way you could get to ER for some IV fluids?  That might help immensely.  You might also want to try drinking gatorade.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Oxford Comma Hag
on 7/31/14 9:12 am

I agree with Gwen about you being dehydrated. At this point it is your job to get fluids in. You may have to take small sips nearly continuously, but you've got to get in more fluids. Dehydration will make you feel sick, weak, and dizzy.

If you are allowed hot no caffeine herbal tea on your plan, those might help as well. I had a hard time with cold liquids at first (they made my stomach cramp), but warm liquids were okay. Are you allowed any type of low sodium broth?

Early out, I couldn't drink a big glass of water like I did pre op, so I had to teach myself to take small sips much more frequently.

I'm curious, though. Fudgesicles are on your plan?

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Dawn ..
on 7/31/14 10:14 am - MI
VSG on 09/23/14

I am so sorry you are going through that. I agree with the ladies above. When I was pregnant with my son during the first trimester, I got so dehydrated that I could barely walk through the emergency room door. I was admitted for a few days, given some IV fluids and I felt LOADS better!

Don't wait around, go to the doctor or the emergency room and get some IV fluids in you as soon as you can.

Consult 12/9/13, Pre-Surgery Appt 9/5/14, Surgery 9/23/14, Height/5'.52", HW/273,  ConsW/268 ConsBMI/49, PreSurW/213 PreSurBMI/39, SurW/193.8 SurBMI/35.4, Drs GW/140-150 My 1st GW/160 2nd GW/145
Visit my online store at dawnsjewelrybox.com  Independent Consultant ID 30858

SassyItalian
on 7/31/14 11:25 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis

Sounds like you have low blood pressure, and your body is trying to compensate by increasing your heart rate. The most likely cause: Dehydration!! That's why you are feeling dizzy when you stand up, your body is trying to normalize, and yes you are a pass out and fall risk, rise slowly, and with assistance and if you feel woozy sit down before you fall down!

Did they take your blood pressure? There was NO way I could eat 2 popsicles, getting in 1-2 ounces was hard! Everyones journey is different, yours doesn't sound all that off from most others. Please make sure they are checking your BP, and if you need fluids, go get them! I needed to be hooked up a few times post op, because I got behid on my fluids and there is no one way to catch up once you are in the hole. Drink, Drink, Drink, Drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I wish you had more time to recover at home because that's what you need, do you have benefits? Disability can kick in until you are ready.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Dreamingofbeaches
on 7/31/14 11:54 am
with

I completely agree with everyone else. I am 31 days post op. I was super dizzy the first week or so and then it got better pretty suddenly. I felt better when I was able to up my liquids. I literally kept my cup in my hand and sipped almost constantly, tiny tiny sips.  I found room temperature tea went down best. My doctor said to try things with electrolytes and that it did not need to be water I was drinking. Best wishes on a quick up turn!  You won't regret this decision in a week or so! 

-Jen

Consult weight 4/7/14: 381.5   SW 7/1/14:

cspotrun
on 7/31/14 12:07 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

I had RNY, not sleeve, but I felt exactly the same for 3 1/2 weeks.  It did get better over that time period, but didn't disappear entirely until that point.  I wondered if I would feel that way forever, but it ended, and I think yours will too.  Maybe it was liquid, but I think it was actually when I was able to progress my food with my plan that things improved.  Have hope, it really will get better!  But I think you should take some more time off if you can.  

Karen   

Shanae1
on 7/31/14 3:32 pm - Marana, AZ
VSG on 03/21/14

Gatorade was a lifesaver for me in the beginning. To be completely honest I just drank regular red Gatorade and I felt so much better and not so dizzy and light headed. Also, I mixed water with apple juice, half water half apple juice and it helped ge****er down easier and also gave me a few calories. I felt so much better. Good luck and just remember things will get better just give yourself some time to heal

Surgery on 3/21/2014 with Dr. Ramos Kelly.   HW:385 SW:358 CW: 240

Jiliana2
on 7/31/14 11:37 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Oh my goodness. I concur... dehydration is the most likely cause in your case. 40 oz is not nearly enough. You definitely need a lot more than that.

Water, flavoured water, decaf tea, SF popsicles, broth... something. If you saw your center for your post-op appointment yesterday, was this not discussed? I'm curious that they didn't see it, or do anything about it. Then again, did they take your BP? That would reveal a lot.

You say in two days you've had half of a muscle milk. Try to get down one per day. That will give you protein AND liquids. Both of which you need right now, but mainly liquids. This early out, the biggest problem that people encounter is dehydration and it really sounds like that is what you are dealing with.

Wishing you luck. It DOES get better.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Valerie G.
on 8/1/14 12:12 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

40oz of liquids a day is why!  You need a minimum of 64oz and yes, it's a full time job right now.  You may need to get an IV of fluids to get you back on track, but this is not something you can look away from.  Your body needs those fluids to heal and survive.  Dehydration causes fatigue and nausea which lessens even more your desire to get more fluids.  Try different flavors and temperature to see what sucks less.  I resorted to green koolaid with splenda - a childhood favorite of mine that I thought I'd never drink again as an adult.  It hit the spot for me

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active