I need some support, and advice - first two weeks out.

klseward77
on 8/23/14 9:18 am

I just never feel "good." I feel really weak, my stomach is in a constant state of "sour" feeling (it doesn't hurt - it just doesn't feel good), I have to FORCE everything - I have no desire to put anything in my mouth at any time. With that being said - I am averaging about 50 oz. of liquids daily (trying to get more - but, it is so hard!) and between 45 and 50 grams of protein in. I know that is not enough - given the numbers that I am supposed to be getting in - but, it is really hard.

I get winded just walking up the stairs to my bedroom :( I am trying to stay active, but, I need "breaks" all day. After a walk, I need to rest a bit, etc...

I have to be honest - these first two weeks have offered nothing that tastes good. I have tried so many concoctions of protein shakes, putting the "unflavored" in soup (I can still taste it). The powder is absolutely awful to me. I've tried different brands - still awful. I mix with decaf coffee and milk, still awful. Is there any relief from this? Lastly - I have noticed that my olfactory nerve is on hyper drive. I can smell even the slightest thing - and most smells are so strong to me that they nauseate me. Is that normal???

I am sorry - I am really not a complainer - but, these two weeks have been very hard. I feel like I will never want to eat again - and that is kind of scary. Is this all normal? Will it go away? I am trying to follow all the "rules" and it's like EVERYTHING I put near my mouth disgusts me. It's funny because no one talked about anything like this ... I am so worried that this is not normal and I am the only one having these issues.

Bob-47
on 8/23/14 9:48 am

I am 3 weeks out and had that happen early on. I am doing much better now and hope it will get better for you soon. I also got winded real quick at first but remember to cut yourself some slack. You just had major surgery not to long ago and your body is healing.It got better for me everyday and hope it does for you as well. Good Luck and hang in there.

Gwen M.
on 8/23/14 9:49 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm not surprised you feel weak and unwell, since you just had major surgery!  Your body is still recovering and you should be kind to yourself!  I needed to rest a lot initially too - I'd walk a bit farther each day and would take it easy.  

For the sour stomach - are you taking a PPI such as prilosec or nexium?  That could possibly help - ask your surgeon.  

Surgery can screw up your taste buds.  Are you only trying unflavored protein powders?  You might try flavored ones too.  Nashua Nutrition sells sample packs which would let you try lots of different flavors/brands for less money than buying an entire tub.  

This will probably go away once you've healed a bit more.  But you should definitely ask your surgeon about your concerns - that's what he's there for!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

klseward77
on 8/23/14 9:52 am

Thanks all.  I have tried so many flavors and concoctions of protein powder.  Also HATE Isopure RTD.  I have sent an email in to the nurse at my surgeon's office - waiting for a reply.  I wanted to hear from people that actually WENT through it though too!  I do take Omeprazole - so, it's not the acid - just a huge feeling of BLAH.

happyteacher
on 8/23/14 10:29 pm

Some posters (a while back) reported that they had to try different ppi's until they found one that worked. It really reads like you are having acid issues- perhaps run that by your doc and see if switching helps. Devon on this site is one poster I think who had issues with the ppi fit- totally blanking on his avatar name though so maybe someone can chime in with that. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

greensleeved
on 8/23/14 10:21 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

I experienced everything you mention! Feeling "off," sour stomach, trouble getting enough in, hypersensitivity to smells, hating food. It lasted for at least 4-5 weeks and then got much better. Still have the smell sensitivity and some food aversions, but I promise it will be a distant memory soon. I hate protein powder of all types but I can stomach the ready made Premier Protein chocolate shakes. In a month you'll be feeling great! Hang in there. It's so hard in the beginning.

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

Cynsofme
on 8/23/14 3:59 pm
VSG on 08/11/14

Hello!  FYI - you're not the only one.  I'm right there with you.  My surgery date was August 11th and I'm tired all the time.  It seems like all I do is sleep... and drink and sleep and drink.  I'm so sick of drinking and I still don't think I'm getting enough liquids.  I went through all the powders and liquid proteins I could until I found a combo that works for me.  The Unjury powders mix really well.  I'm currently mixing the chocolate splendor with chocolate almond milk and finally it is smooth enough (no grit!) and I can't taste it at all.  The other thing I've been living on is strained soups and sugar free popsicles.  I cannot wait for my follow up appointment. I am so hoping to be able to add something different.  Not to mention stopping the shots... I don't know if I'd have had the surgery if I'd known about the shots before hand.  Most of the time though someone has to put something to eat in front of me otherwise I won't even think to make/eat anything.

Cynsofme - because I'm starting to get a sense of me

Height - 5'2" = HW - 347 = SW - 319 = CW - 314 (as of 8/12/14)

Tina O
on 8/23/14 10:42 pm - ME
VSG on 05/12/14

This is completely normal in my experience. I was personally like this for the first two month. I think it is because of the nerve in the stomach being cut and the stomach being swollen. During my first 2 month just the smell of food would make me dry heave, 3 months out from my surgery and I'm 100% back to myself and I'm sure you will be the same. Hang in there and do the best you can, the first few months are the hardest. I promise it does and will get better and you will feel normal again. Keep your eye on the prize and do the best you can, you can do this!!! 

HW: 414 ... CW: 260 ... GOAL: 147

Valerie G.
on 8/23/14 11:33 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

What you are experiencing is absolutely normal.  It took a good 5-6 weeks before I started feeling more like myself (and my recovery was picture-perfect).  

Push up those fluids to 64oz.  That's your minimum each day, and it's a full-time job.  Dehydration will bring on more fatigue and nausea, so you definitely don't want to go there.  

Bravo on the protein.  For many it takes a good month to work up to 30g and you've surpassed that.  Your taste buds will settle eventually, like months from now.  Don't look for pleasurable flavors, for you'll only disappoint yourself.  Settle on what doesn't totally suck. I found that egg white protein is more expensive, but it doesn't have that horrible after taste of whey.  When you mix any protein with hot liquids, make a slurry with a little water and the protein first, then add it to the hot stuff.  This will prevent the clumpy crap.  Coffee with my vanilla egg white protein was what I could handle, and from there I ate strategically.  If you're eating soft foods yet, start playing with ricotta cheese.  It's got 7g of protein in just a quarter-cup.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

klseward77
on 8/24/14 3:24 am

Thank you all!  I just needed to know that everyone feels the same.  I mean - honestly - right now - I am regretting the surgery.  But, everyone that is past this point says "would totally do it again!"  "best thing ever!" and I was thinking - "how can they think that - I am soooo miserable!  There must be something wrong with my recovery because I would NEVER do this if I knew I would feel like THIS"

I just needed to know this is normal, it will pass, and I will feel healthy again.

I feel so bad complaining to my family - they are trying to be so supportive, but, none have gone through this and my mom is stressed that she can't make it go all away for me (you know how moms are :)

This is the hardest thing I have ever done so far - and I can stay positive as long as I know it will be worth it!  It's just scary right now!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views