Why did you choose VSG over the other weight loss surgeries?

FWTX131
on 8/28/14 12:48 am - Fort Worth, TX
VSG on 10/22/14

I'm asking this because I have read up on the three offered in my area; Lap Band, Vertical Sleeve, or Gastric Bypass.

Most of the programs in the area emphasize Lap Band (the cheapest option in our area).  I'm just curious why people choose the sleeve as this is the route I am taking.

Thank you

Gail D.
on 8/28/14 12:52 am

I ruled out the lapband because it hasn't been shown to be as effective as VSG or bypass, and I didn't like the idea of that contraption remaining inside me. I heard more issues and problems than good.

Between VSG and bypass, i chose VSG because I liked the restrictive quality without the malnutritive element of bypass. And you don't have the potential for stomach stretching again like you do with bypass. Someone in my family had bypass a year before I had VSG, and he eats just as much as he did before surgery. Two heaping plates of food at most meals. He has gained back maybe 15 pounds, but I don't want that potential.

FWTX131
on 8/28/14 2:44 am - Fort Worth, TX
VSG on 10/22/14

I originally went in for the Lap Band but my surgeon convinced me to go with the sleeve.  He sited many complications with the band that would be avoided with the sleeve.

Gail D.
on 8/28/14 2:46 am

I remember sitting in the educational class, and they talking about cases of sores being rubbed on the outside of your stomach from the band... and at that moment I couldn't consider the idea of having the thing put in me.

*shudder*

Stacy_WLS
on 8/28/14 12:55 am

I chose the VSG because it had really strong results and the least amount of side affects.  

Lap Band: It seems that there are a lot of failures with the band -- both it not working or slipping and eventually having to be removed.  I also didn't want to have to continue going in to get filled or unfilled.  A friend of mine had it several years ago and was completely unsuccessful with it -- this I am sure gave me a large prejudice against it as well.  

RNY / Bypass: I was sure this was the procedure for me.  Upon initial research, this procedure had the best results -- if I was going to do this, I wanted the best results.  But upon further research the malabsorption was not the best thing -- I didn't want to worry about potential long term deficiency problems.    

VSG: I really liked that the grehlin was reduced with this procedure.  I also liked that the part of the stomach that was left was less stretchy -- I think this will help reduce the potential of my stomach stretching back out.  

I hope this help!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Sammy D.
on 8/28/14 1:25 am - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

^^^ What she said^^^

HW: 478+ Consult: 478 Pre Op: 453 SW: 438 CW: 293 (7-20-15) GW: 225 LBS Gone: 185

VSG with Dr. T. Ryan Heider at the Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Lake Norman 11-6-14

ACTS 2:38

FWTX131
on 8/28/14 2:46 am - Fort Worth, TX
VSG on 10/22/14

Thank you, very helpful.  This does confirm what I have been told by my surgeon.

Jackie T.
on 8/28/14 1:12 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

When I was told by 3 of my doctors that I needed to do something drastic or I would not be around to see my grandkids grow up, I went to a weight loss seminar. I thought I wanted the lap band and then I heard about the sleeve. I was never interested in the gastric bypass because I didn't want my insides rerouted and knew several people that had gained all of their weight back.

After listening the seminar, I really thought I was most interested in the sleeve.  I got on this board a couple of others and started hearing the horror stories about the band and also a story from my doctor on a patient that she had and the fact she had lost so much weight that you could see the port under her skin.  I was just turned off and didn't want to continually go in for fills or have it replaced in 10-15 years (or sooner).

My reasoning for not wanting the gastric bypass was not correct but I still was not interested now because of the malabsorption aspect.

I am very pleased with the sleeve but this is what you need to remember:

With every single weight loss surgery, you can regain the weight, you can not succeed.  You are only going to get out of it what you put into it.  If you do not change how you eat, change your relationship with food and drinks, you are going to eventually put the weight back on.

There are many people that have been successful with all three surgeries you have listed and many how have been unsuccessful. The surgery is a tool to help you get the weight off but you have to change to make sure you keep the weight off for the rest of your life.  If you go back to your old habits and don't deal with what got you to be obese in the first place, you will not succeed in the long term.  It will be short lived.  The surgeries give you a window of opportunity to deal with your triggers and to get your head straight.

I like the sleeve because there are not any malabsorption issues.  My insides are exactly as they were before the surgery except they have removed the portion of my stomach that is stretchy.  With the band you can succeed but there are many that don't and you have to deal with fills, removing fills, bands that go bad, some have reflux issues, etc.  With the gastric bypass they are unhooking you from your stomach and making a pouch to replace it, I just never wanted to do that and you have to take vitamins for the rest of your life to stay healthy. 

Good luck in whatever decision you make.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

FWTX131
on 8/28/14 2:39 am - Fort Worth, TX
VSG on 10/22/14

Thank you for your reply.  I'm getting more and more comfortable with my selection of Vertical Sleeve. 

Tracy D.
on 8/28/14 2:35 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I wouldn't wish lapband on my worst enemy and I would never recommend it for a friend or family member...just based on a family member who has had it!   I chose VSG because I didn't want the issues connected to malabsorption (taking lots of vitamins, deficiencies, dumping) and I wanted a surgery that was the least complicated and invasive.  Plus I wanted the option of being able to take NSAIDs in the future.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active