What's up with poop?

Capegin
on 8/31/14 8:29 am

Ok guys... what's up with pooping post-op?  Does it happen regularly?  Should it be?  Sorry if this is TMI, but I'm two weeks and four days post-op and I feel like it NEVER happens... probably five times total.  I've been taking colace, but maybe it's just normal not to?  (Yes, I plan to call the dr on Tuesday!)

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/31/14 9:08 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Oh I'm only 4 months post op & I don't think I poop everyday, it's something I never really kept track of. pre-op I'm pretty sure I pooped everyday, post op more like every other day. It might be that you just had surgery & your body is a little out of whack rt now. It might be awhile b4 your body finds its own rhythm again & everything is flowing again! See what your dr says, Good luck!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Gwen M.
on 8/31/14 9:12 am
VSG on 03/13/14

For me, I was super screwed up pre-op bowel-wise.  I lived on Immodium most days. Post-op, post-liquids, my bowels are glorious. I have a good poop every morning and THAT'S IT. OMG. It's amazing. 

If I don't poop in the morning, which is very rare, I add Miralax to my daily shake until I do. I probably use Miralax no more than 3 times a month. And I've only had to take Immodium once since surgery (I'm almost 6 months post-op.)

Yet another thing I love about this new life - stable and regular bowels :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

mickeymantle
on 8/31/14 9:16 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

it will be more regular when you start eating more veggies ,  I eat veggies with lunch and dinner every day some times  even with breakfast

you need to eat lots of fiber ever day , but don't expect to go every day

coffee also  helps you go  

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

secretsleeves
on 8/31/14 9:22 am

I'm in the same situation. The surgeon's nurse let me know that this would happen while I was on liquids and puree.

I have another two weeks before food, but with how little we all eat it does make more sense than before.

VSG on 8/6/2014

veggiegal10
on 8/31/14 10:50 am

This is one thing I hate.  Although I had issues with constipation prior to the surgery afterwards I have even more trouble.  I'm 5 months out from a revision surgery and 5 years post-op from the original surgery.  And I eat tons of fruit, veggies, greens, drink plenty of water, etc.  But I need to rely on Benefiber or other fiber supplements because I just can not seem to get enough fiber from food or liquid (and failing to do so is very uncomfortable!).  Maybe my intestines are weird, who knows.  It seems the above posters' issues all worked themselves out while mine have remained.

Hopefully yours will too but if not then you might need to find a way to work supplements in that work for you.  It'll become a thing you won't even think about - just something you'll do if you need to.  Good luck!

HW: 227lbs Weight at surgery: 209lbs CW: 153lbs GW: ~145lbs.

VSG w/ Dr. Dunnican 8/10/2009; Revision w/ Dr. Wayne Weiss 3/31/14

csbsteph
on 8/31/14 11:44 am - AL
VSG on 03/13/14

I take a stool softener every night; if I'm feeling really bloated I take two.  Eating a little lettuce helps me and also turkey chili with no beans for some reason...and decaff coffee.  I go just about every day now thanks to the stool softeners.  Be sure you're drinking enough/lots of water too. 

With God ALL things are possible! VSG 3/13/14 Dr. John Mathews

Don 1962
on 8/31/14 11:54 am

I saw this thread on the trending page so pardon the incursion by an RNY on the VSG forum.

Get a good toilet plunger and keep it handy.  You will understand why soon enough.

Other words of wisdom are contained in siggy. Happy Labor Day!

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

Amber G.
on 8/31/14 4:58 pm
VSG on 04/02/14

I am almost 5 months out, and still have issues with it, If I don't  take something to help. I have been doing Miralax in my AM shake every other day for awhile now. Seems to be working so far :) I had bad issues with it the very beginning (1st month), to the point I had to visit the ER. So I am a a little fanatical about it now LOL! 

Valerie G.
on 9/1/14 12:57 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Doc will probably suggest a stool softener.  You can also try nature's stool softener-fat.  Early out, you're eating so little and you're probably erring on the side of low-fat.  Try going full-fat and stay low-carb. I'm not saying drizzle butter on everything, but get the full-fat yogurt and cheese, etc.  I've got altered plumbing, so my body reacts to not getting enough fat.  It does wonders for me, though.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 48 views