3rd week post op

cdeabreu
on 8/29/14 12:51 pm
VSG on 08/18/14

I'm going on my 3rd week post op on Monday.  I have been feeling very hungry and my stomach is groaning all the time.  I spoke with to nutritionist and she said maybe its not hunger pains but in my head.  ?????  Really wouldn't I know if it's my stomach or in my head.  She said I can try a milkshake and see how that goes.  I tried it today and only got about 4-5 spoonfuls down.  About 30 mins later I felt sick so I threw up only a little came up but then bright yellow bile came up.  It was nasty.  Y would I have bile???

aharris30
on 8/29/14 9:37 pm
VSG on 05/13/14

I would assume that its just stomach/gastric residuals. We all have some in our stomachs no matter how much/little we eat. You threw up the few tablespoons you had followed by stomach residuals. Abnormal? Nope! What food stage does your surgeon/NUT have you at? I think at 3 weeks I could have soft foods, if that's your case, can you try 1-2 bites of something soft when you get head hunger. I HATED milkshakes, let alone anything sweet. It ALWAYS made me throw up.

wyo_sarah
on 8/29/14 10:29 pm

I'm 1 month post op and I throw up regularly. It is usually bright yellow.  My nut said some people feel hungry.  It wasn't really helpful. 

Kelly Jean
on 8/29/14 10:36 pm
VSG on 04/08/14

At 3 weeks out its head hungry ... your new tummy hadn't healed yet so try to remember that... your tummy is playing mind games with you.... so if you feel hungry drink some water if it goes away then it was mind hunger.... Also are you on a PPI and maybe you may need a different one call your surgeon talk to him maybe he can give you something.... good luck !!! :-)

♡ Kelly

Gwen M.
on 8/30/14 1:06 am
VSG on 03/13/14

A milkshake?!  Like.. one with ice cream and milk and stuff?!  Yikes.  Don't eat that!  

Hunger, at this point, can be from a few things.  1 - the nerves in your stomach were all severed and now they're healing.  That means they're lying liars that lie.  You can't trust anything they tell you and while your stomach might say "I'm hungry" it's probably just lying to you.  This will pass as you heal most likely.  2 - it might be acid.  Acid can mimic hunger.  Are you taking a PPI such as prilosec or nexium?  If you aren't, you should ask your surgeon if you can.  The fact that you have bile makes me think that acid could be the culprit.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

cdeabreu
on 8/30/14 3:58 pm
VSG on 08/18/14

Thanks everyone.  I'm on soft foods.  I remembered I didn't take my Prilosec for 2 days so u think that's y I threw up.  When I feel hunter pains I've drank water or protein shake but it doesn't go away.  I'm seeing my doc on Tuesday and I'm hoping he will let me eat more.  I've eaten mashed potatoes and peas.  I don't like pudding, yogurt or oatmeal.  It's hard to find things to eat. 

Most Active