What does Maintenance look like for you?

cappy11448
on 8/31/14 7:51 pm

Hi All,

I thought this might be a good topic to keep the vets involved.  Its something I haven't seen discussed too much, and I think it would be helpful for the newbies and people in the weight loss phase to get a better idea about what maintenance looks like. 

What is your typical day post-weight-loss look like? eating?  exercise?  Food prep? Health?  lingering issues? etc.

Happy Labor Day, everyone.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

cappy11448
on 8/31/14 8:09 pm

I guess there are a few things I wouldn't have predicted when I imagined myself post-weight-loss in maintenance. 

First, I spend a lot more time thinking about food, and preparing food than I ever did pre-op.  That's because I want to control the calories and carbs in my food, and prepared foods just don't make the diet, even in maintenance. So I'm constantly looking for recipes, and making substitutions to limit calories and carbs.  But its almost like a hobby now.  I don't eat much now, but I do enjoy what I eat.

Second,  I got in the habit of exercising, and though I will never be an exercise enthusiast, as many become, I do make time for my 20 minutes on the recumbent bike most days.

Third, and this was like "dawn over Marblehead" for me (smile)  - I realized that maintenance looks a lot like being on plan.  Its just a plan with more calories.  Eating off plan is going to be reserved for special occasions, and vacations. Maintenance is not like going off a diet. 

The only lingering issue is excess skin, and whether to have plastic surgery.  I'm waiting to see how much of it will tighten up over time. 

Best wishes,

Carol 

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Nmmsg
on 8/31/14 9:13 pm, edited 8/31/14 9:13 pm
VSG on 07/09/13

My maintenance so far looks like my regular plan-  a few more calories here and there with salad dressings and such but that is it.  If I eat much more than this, I have a weight gain. I am comfortable with this since the food choices  I normally have sit well with my stomach.  If I eat a heavier diet , I don't feel good. I always have a shake for breakfast.  An egg and light laughing cow or yogurt mid morning.  I have a salad and protein for lunch and meat/fish and vegetable for dinner. I may have some fruit during the day and lite popcorn for snacks.  If my protein is low , I have a Quest bar at some time.  

I haven't been too reliable with regular exercise but will try to incorporate it this fall.  Each day I try to maintain the healthy lifestyle I have learned in the past year.

Nancy

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

Stacy_WLS
on 9/1/14 12:20 am

I have kind of been in maintenance for the last 4 months.  I'm definitely not a vet, but I'll chime in anyways :)

Maintenance looks a lot like weight loss mode.  I have been sneaking in treats at night.  While I haven't been gaining anything, I do not like how it plays in my head, so am trying to cut those out.  

I also spend a lot of time planning, cooking and prepping my food for the week.  I enjoy this process and it helps me stay on track.  I pack several items for food everyday at work.  

Other things that are different now, is that I am preparing for plastic surgery -- so I am trying to incorporate extra protein.  I am also working through OA and trying to overcome my food addiction issues.  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Miss150
on 9/1/14 1:01 am

No vet here, either--Been in mainterance about a year, now, and like many of the above posters, there are many practices I've kept from WLmode-  I weigh every day for accountability.  My sweet spot is 143- smack in the middle of my 5 pound swing (140-145)  Happy to say that I've been living there steadily.  I follow the protein first and 90 oz of liquids rule- no drinking 'till 30 min after eating.  I am so happy with what I see in the mirror; this last year was my year for plastics- TT, arm lift, and neck and face lift.  There have been changes on the inside, too...off all meds-a myride of health issues I no loner have.  Oh, and not to mention the peace of mind with not having to agonize over "starting again" every Monday morning.

So what does living in maintenance mean to me?  Mindful eating, and cherishing everything I've worked so hard to get.  May I continue to value those things over food and behave accordingly.  bonnie

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

drea29
on 9/1/14 2:29 am

This is an important topic.  I stopped losing after 15 months and felt this was a healthy weight for me.  Early maintenance was confusing for me.  I thought I was suppose to do something  different.  That was not true for me. After a 10 pound regain in a few months, I just went back to my plan.  Lost the weight I had regained and have been at the same weight since then.  I have added more fat which doesn't seem to affect my weight.  I still weigh and measure, follow the guidelines for eating and drinking and at times log my food.   I think if you have reached your goal and continue to lose, then you will have to either increase calories or reduce exercise if you do not want to lose more.  It really has become more about how healthy I have become and how I am able to enjoy things I had stopped dreaming about.  I think Bonnie brings up an important point about the suffering of compulsive eating, food addiction, or what ever your issue is.  I don't feel like I am on a diet and have to start over if I eat off plan.  Eating off plan is a almost always preplanned and controlled.  For example. I went to dinner yesterday and ordered fish and spinach.  Someone ordered stuffed zucchini flowers.  This is something that I loved, but have not had since surgery.  I decided to eat one.  Still bought home enough food for 2 more meals and did not have dessert or after dinner drink.  Eating this once this summer is limits.  I enjoyed it and it is over.  No guilt or self loathing. I have had a real mental shift.  I don't know that I have made peace with food, but for now we are on neutral ground. 

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/14 7:19 am

Maintenance has gone through many different stages for me, now, at almost five years out, my maintenance is once again changing...

I still eat protein first at every meal, and follow that up with veggies.  I now eat more fat and some complex carbs but I still keep an eye on the carbs as they tend to slide right through me in much higher quantities than any other food.  I weigh myself most days, but I am less obsessive about it now because I trust myself to easily lose a few (literally 2-3) pounds when necessary.  My jeans are a much bigger measure of my maintenance now and the scale verifies what I already know. My jeans are tight, so even a few pounds are noticeable in comfort.  I still drink all of my water and exercise daily but not excessively.  I avoid all fast food and never drink my calories except in the form of wine (okay, a few vodka drinks now and then).  I keep my wine down to a few 1/2 glasses a week but it's part of my life and I don't plan on letting it go unless it becomes an impediment to maintenance. On the other hand, it would be the very fist thing that I would remove from my diet if I needed to lose a bit.  

I eat out often, but only in pretty good restaurants and I always customize my dish.  My social life has become a much bigger issue in recent years and I do everything I can to normalize my food intake while still eating out.  I hardly ever have dessert, and when I do, only after my meal and it is always shared with a few others.  I can not say that I am perfect in maintenance, as a matter of fact, I am certain that I am far from perfect.  I still stay cognizant of my food choices and there are only a few rules that I follow about 80% of the time.

1) I do not graze

2) With the above mentioned exception, I do not drink my calories (even when I do drink alcohol, I keep the mixes to non or very low calorie options and rarely take in more than 100-200 calories through drinking).  Most days, I get 0-70 calories through liquids.  When trying to lose a few pounds, I go to 0 calories through liquids of any kind. I never drink Starbucks except for straight coffee, or sugarless iced tea.  I allow myself about 1/2 cup of fat free milk or 1% milk if I am splurging. Bottom line, I am mindful of any calories that I didn't need to chew.

3) Protein first at every meal.

4) I eat until I am satisfied but not full.  I eat about 1500 calories in a day, but I can eat as little as a 1000 or as much as 2000 with 1200-1800 being my usual range. 

5) I eat mindfully, slowly and always take the time to appreciate the food.  This also means that I am big on using small, beautiful plates and plate my food in ways that appeals to my visual senses. I never eat in front of the TV or while I am having a heated discussion with my kids.  I need time to enjoy the food otherwise I do not feel satisfied on some level. 

I do most of these things about 80-90% of the time.  I also go on vacation, go off program, break all the rules and eat chocolate macaroons in front of my friends and my husband without feeling the least bit guilty.  It took a long time before I felt that I could really trust myself to do all of these things.  I also know that I am not cured, that I will always have the disease of obesity and that allowing myself to lose mindfulnesses over my eating is very possible. When I read about regain, I always think that I am one macaroon away from going that route myself.  I will always need to be vigilant and if I ever feel cured, I will be setting myself up for regain.  That's my maintenance now, I am sure it will continue to change and evolve as five years slips into six and so on.  This never ends, we are never guaranteed permanent success but this is not terribly difficult for me and quite doable even at five years out.

DeeNY52
on 9/1/14 8:33 am

Thanks everyone for these thoughtful reflections on maintenance.  I am getting close and have decided to lose the last 11 lbs to get to my original goal (I was feeling pretty comfortable where I am and this summer I have been eating a maintenance amount).

I know that I have to remind myself this is NOT a diet, this is my life now, and I need to be MINDFUL - a great word used here- about what I choose to eat.

Thanks for sharing and for inspiring me.

Dee

Tracy D.
on 9/2/14 12:54 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Great topic, Carol!  

Although I'm far from being a vet I've certainly been trying to figure out what maintenance looks like for me during these last 8 months.  So far, it really does look like the weight-loss phase with more calories and a broader choice of foods.  I've upped my exercise game quite a bit, which is why I think I can eat more calories and still see a slow loss.  I'm currently working on getting to 125 lbs.  

I've incorporated a bit more veggies and some fruit into my plan now.  I don't have fruit every day, and keep the portions fairly small, but I do enjoy a few strawberries, some red grapes or half a peach now and then.  As apple season rolls around I'll enjoy half a one with some peanut butter for a snack :-)  

I eat things in maintenance that I would NEVER have eaten during WL mode.  I've had some sugary treats and found, for the most part, it's not worth the super-sugar-spike that I get with the tired/sleepiness that comes after that.  Some of my tastes have changed too.  I used to LOVE pizza and would have it every week.  Now I just can't get excited about it .  

I continue to attend OA meetings, which I did for years before WL surgery, and will continue to attend.  My therapist retired several months ago and I've finally tracked down someone who is considered the "best" eating disorder therapist in the city.  I've got my first appointment with her on Thursday.  This is an area I've neglected and I need to get back to working on all the many issues that have contributed to my eating disorder.  

Health:  A1c is holding steady at 5.3; blood pressure is a fantabulous 115/70; resting heart rate is excellent; liver issues resolved.  The only new issue to develop (warning: TMI ahead!) is that my panni hangs low enough that I'm having some difficulty with completely emptying my bladder.  I actually have to pull up the panni and lean forward.  Of course I'm making sure to document this and the resulting UTIs that are happening because of it.  Just in case insurance will someday pay for surgery to fix it!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Spencerella
on 9/2/14 3:45 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I'm so glad you posted this topic because I think it's something most of us need to be thinking about when we begin to understand that getting to goal is possible. 

I kept thing incredibly tight until I reached my goal number. And I mean my real, honest to goodness dream goal rather than some 'good enough' goal that someone else thought possible for me. 

My scale and MFP have been my very best friends during maintenance. I adhere to a very small weight 'window' and same for the number of calories I consume daily. The variety of foods is much greater and some days my choices are not exactly stellar, but my calories are pretty much always in check. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Most Active