Diabetes and/or Liver Damage

bullock8
on 9/1/14 7:01 am - Perkasie

Does anyone have either diabetes or liver damage?  If so, do you think the recovery is different than for most people doing the vertical sleeve surgery.  I have both diabetes AND liver damage, so if anyone has helpful information , I would appreciate hearing about it.

Surgery Date: 09/29/14

Thank you

lynn bullock

yvonnef1964
on 9/1/14 10:03 am
VSG on 08/11/14

I have diabetes, I'm three weeks post op. I haven't had any problems except for one of my incision getting red, treated it with peroxide and water.  Good luck on your surgery.

Yvonne

weeziebeth
on 9/1/14 11:11 am

The fact is, most everyone on this forum has/had fatty liver and some had actual liver damage-they just don't know it. Liver disease is often not diagnosed until liver function is affected-which is usually late in the course. My own story is similar to yours-obesity which led to diabetes and liver cirrhosis (NASH). The liver problems were discovered incidentally to a screening test for heart disease (no heart disease thankfully-just a family hx of early disease). While I too would have been loathe to consider WLS prior to the cirrhosis diagnosis, I am thankful I have been given this opportunity to correct/reverse course. I have not had surgery yet so cannot speak directly to your question, but I would imagine many here were in the same position just weren't necessarily aware of it. 

An interesting public health fact-fatty liver disease is fast becoming the most common cause of liver transplant. This is in part due to improved treatments for hepatitis C and in part due to the growing obesity problem in the US. There have even been a few studies in which gastric sleeves were done at the time of the transplant to facilitate weight loss. 

Calaska
on 9/1/14 4:20 pm - AK
VSG on 08/18/14

When I had my VSG two weeks ago, I was told afterwards that I have non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NASH).  He said my liver was very fragile. Hmmm. I go in for a checkup on Wednesday and will ask my surgeon more about that., as I know nothing.  I hope it will improve with weight loss!

~Jan

58 yo female, 5'9" HW: 297 SW: 285  Surgery W: 252. CW: 224.8 GW: 160        

If there is no struggle, there is no progress. ~ Frederick Douglass

happyteacher
on 9/1/14 8:20 pm

I was diagnosed with diabeties shortly before surgery. Had low blood sugar for a while after surgery, but once I figured out how many carbs and when to eat them it was no problem. Now after maintaining for 2 years I am back in the prediabetic range. No liver damage. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Tracy D.
on 9/2/14 12:21 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes years before my VSG.  I was taking Metforming and Byetta (no insulin).  The thing that pushed me into surgery is that I was diagnosed with the early stages of liver disease (fatty liver with some slight scarring).  THAT scared the **** out of me!  My liver enzymes were completely off-the-chart bad so I immediately started working toward getting surgery.  

I didn't find the recovery to be any different than what people describe on these boards.  In fact, I had a very easy recovery.  My liver enzymes quickly came back into line after surgery and I was taken off all diabetes meds the day I went home from the hospital.  Those diabetes meds alone can cause more liver damage - ugh!    

Good luck!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active