Diverticulitis question

Rosie B.
on 9/3/14 5:23 am

Has anyone out there developed Diverticulitis?  Is because of  this surgery?  I am at 9-months out and found out today I have it.  Or is it just something that happens and not surgery related?

Sammy D.
on 9/3/14 5:29 am - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

I have had diverticulitis. It is certainly not fun. I am pre-op so truthfully I think it's not surgery related. The vast majority of people do develop diverticula but doesn't flare up and cause diverticulitis. Just make sure you stay regular as much as possible, take fiber supplements to help it from becoming inflamed again.

HW: 478+ Consult: 478 Pre Op: 453 SW: 438 CW: 293 (7-20-15) GW: 225 LBS Gone: 185

VSG with Dr. T. Ryan Heider at the Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Lake Norman 11-6-14

ACTS 2:38

hollykim
on 9/3/14 7:28 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I would say it is not connected to you vsg. Diverticulitis happens in the intestines,not the stomach and nothing was done to your intestines. 

Diverticulitis is largely hereditary.

happyteacher
on 9/3/14 8:44 am

I was diagnosed with it a couple years ago during some cancer screening. Nothing to do with the surgery, and the older you get the more prone you are to developing it. I have never read anywhere that it is somehow related to the vsg. I have no symptoms, but if you do avoid small seeds, popcorn, etc. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

reinventme127
on 9/3/14 10:41 am - Sophia, WV

Many people develop diverticulosis as they age.  The low fiber diet post surg is not the best for divertivulosis but low fiber is good when flared up...diverticulitis.  High fiber is the way to go qhen the flare resolves.  Avoid large seeds and skins that dont dissolve like corn. Without a colonoscopy many people never even know they have the condition.

jenn1469
on 9/3/14 10:50 am

I had it 2 years prior to surgery. I ened up with a **** bag for 6 mos. Worst 6mos of my life hopefully you wont need one. I had 3 surgeries due to it. I don't have it any more. good luck!!!

Jennifer

Rosie B.
on 9/3/14 10:09 pm

Oh boy, thanks everyone.  It's a mild case and my doc has me on two antibiotics per day and I feel better already.  Jenn, that must have been terrible.  Glad you don't have it any more.

Most Active