Good book on Food Addiction and recovery

acbbrown
on 9/9/14 6:52 am - Granada Hills, CA

As I continue to deal with over eating and compuslive eating, Ive been reading books here and there for thoughts, suggestions, plans...anything really. I think someone on here mentioned it, but I got a book called "From the First Bite" by Kay Sheppard. It's a fairly comprehensive book on the stages of recovery, the physical component, physiological impact of food, genetics, psychology, all different topics relating to food addiction.

If I had to sum it up in a sentence  - "one bite is too many and 1000 bites is never enough". Ive known this for a while, but right now, Im almost in denial (for the 100th time) that my "problem" is really that big of a problem, but I know that an abstinence from sugar, flour and wheat is going to have to be my reality.  All I hear is the devil whispering in my ear that moderation is still possible. And that's only because I want it to be acceptable, but i KNOW - beyond all proof - that it will NEVER work for me. Those substances are triggering and send me into a whirlwind of behavior that is destructive to my mind, body and soul.

Im already 3+ years out, and though ive been dealing with this for a while, Im just now really getting to a place in my life where I can dig deeper than the surface level. I just want to put that out there for those that had surgery a while ago, and feel like a faliure or like they will never make it - there is always hope. No matter how far out we get the demons remain the same. Not everyone is ready to deal with them at the time of surgery which is ok, as long as you never give up.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 9/9/14 7:30 am

Thanks for the recommendation. I will pick up the book this week.

I've been doing a lot of reading myself for the very same reason. Surgery is a wonderful tool, but it's not the fix. You are so right - as long as we keep hope and fight a good fight we can succeed!

Miss150
on 9/9/14 7:43 am

Don't mean to be scriptural on you, but, I swear, I've not seen it put better...

Philippians 2:12-13 "Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. 

You, sweet-pie, are a work on progress...a beautiful work, and you're going to make it...Why?  Because you want to....YOU desire to be what you were intended to be- a minor genius....when it happens..when You, Alison, becomes..oh, what a force of good you will become!  Good over Crap food---fight the fight, girl:  you stand in the gap for us all....bonnie.

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

Linda B.
on 9/9/14 3:11 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

You are still fighting, which is a wonderful thing. I also know that sugar and refined flour products are poison. The whole "whole grain" thing is another food industry lie. For those of us in the battle against obesity, these foods are even worse. After doing a lot of digging, I have learned that not only do some of us struggle with these food issues, but the food industry feeds (pun intended) us this line of bull crap that we will be healthy if we eat their "food like" substances. There have been healthy living articles that lead to evidence that the big "food" companies set us up for addiction, which equals more profit  for them. OK, so that was a bit of a rant. Knowing what your triggers are is a major step in being an overcomer. Great post my friend.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

Jp2lose
on 9/10/14 12:20 am - Omaha, NE
Thanks for the recommendation! I'm 4+ years out and also struggle with the reality that I just can't eat sugar and flour in moderation! I go in cycles of purging it from my diet and feeling fantastic then slowly letting it creep back in until I realize that I feel horrible, my weight is creeping up, and I can't control what I'm putting in my mouth. Right now I'm struggling with daily migraines, so I've cut it all out hoping to get them under control - pain is a great motivator! I'm going to order the book today.

acbbrown
on 9/10/14 5:11 am - Granada Hills, CA

Boy do I know that cycle all too well. I'm also trying to eat better for medical reasons as well as just being tired of feeling fat and bloated when I eat like crap. 

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Tracy D.
on 9/10/14 12:33 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I read that book when I started in OA years ago - good stuff.

I understand that not everyone has my horrible issues with sugar and white flour.  I call it an "addiction", they can call it what they want.  What works for me is that I do my level best to completely abstain from "recreational sugar" because - frankly - sugar makes me stark-raving CRAZY!   My husband can tell when I've been sneaking it in on the sly because I act and behave differently.  I don't know it, but other people do.

White flour is just the substitute drug for when I can't get sugar.  And it's always the slippery slope back into lots of sugar.  

Never give up, Allison - it's worth the fight!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

acbbrown
on 9/10/14 5:12 am - Granada Hills, CA

Thank you! How do you define recreational sugar? In trying to avoid sugar, I've seen instructions to even avoid salt!! I can't be that extreme but I could avoid things with added sugar etc. ?

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Tracy D.
on 9/10/14 5:34 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

"Recreational sugar" are all those things you typically thing of as bakery or candy items:  donuts, cakes, pudding, ice cream, pies, danish, pastries, candy bars, candy in any form, jams, jelly, etc.   And I don't sprinkle sugar over the top of anything either.  

I know someone who won't eat ANYTHING if sugar is listed higher than the 4th or 5th ingredient on the label.  That would rule out things like most salad dressings and mayonnaise.  

Salt is only an issue for me if it's combined with something high in fat - like nuts.  Plain old almonds or any other nut I can handle in perfect moderation.  But salt on those puppies and watch out! I will eat the entire can in a day.   

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

acbbrown
on 9/10/14 5:45 am - Granada Hills, CA

Makes sense. 

Nuts are a no no for me because I can't each just an oz and be done. I need like...5oz and that's just too many calories. 

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Most Active